Author Topic: Healing the rift with the NeverTrump movement  (Read 14892 times)

Offline Victoria33

Re: Healing the rift with the NeverTrump movement
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2016, 06:02:09 am »
Never underestimate mass movements borne of a demagogue that preys upon the base aspects of fear, anger and revenge in the name of nationalism and self-preservation.

History and human nature have limitless examples of what we are watching be played out right before our eyes, along with the results and consequences that the vast majority pretend and insist cannot be experienced by us.

In this way, Trump's appeal is to the majority of the country that finds no use for God, the Constitution or the bible - and sees Government and men in positions of power as their benefactors and hammers to be applied to everyone and everything they see as a nail.

We are, sadly  - a tiny minority now in this country. And to both the Ruling Class Establishment, the Marxists and especially the rabid Trump supporters - you and I are the nails right now.

Excellent post - you are exactly correct.  The Germans did the same thing when their country was in turmoil - voted for Hitler to fix it.  He fixed it his way.  So will Trump be a dictator and fix it his way.  As I have said, he is unstable and therefore dangerous.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2016, 06:20:24 am »
The official campaign song of Donaldus Minimus and Hilarious Rodent Clinton . . .

Groucho Marx, "These Are the Laws of My Administration" (from Duck Soup)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2016, 06:30:24 am »
I'm just watching in awe at all the rift healing and fence mending going on.  :whistle:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2016, 08:26:40 am »
I'm just watching in awe at all the rift healing and fence mending going on.  :whistle:

13291 Quite impressive isn't it...

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2016, 11:50:29 am »

ROFLMFAO!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online libertybele

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2016, 12:01:34 pm »
13291 Quite impressive isn't it...

Gee, I must have missed it!   :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2016, 12:54:35 pm »
The New Yorker as an authority on why one should oppose Trump?

The New Yorker?

As someone pointed out on another thread it is quite interesting how the anti-Trumpsters invariably use Liberal sources to support their animus.

Quite interesting, sad, and also further evidence of how the background of some of these anti-Trumsters is more than questionable.

Why not try refuting the argument instead of questioning the source?

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2016, 01:04:12 pm »
People have every right to question both his sincerity, his conversion to conservatism in the past few years, and his ability to be presidential. Its Trump's job to come to folks who don't support him and to sell where he wants to take the country as we move forward. And he is doing his best to do this, and I just hope that those who do not now support him can be open minded enough to at least lend him an ear. Trump is doing the right thing here, and for myself it strengthens my support of him as our nominee.

======================================

The people that hate Trump most are not the democrats, mexicans, or even muslims.

They are the sorry-a$$ed Republicans who have resisted purging the GOP of the gopE for the past 25 years and now they are paying the price by being purged themselves.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

Online libertybele

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2016, 01:14:01 pm »

The people that hate Trump most are not the democrats, mexicans, or even muslims.

They are the sorry-a$$ed Republicans who have resisted purging the GOP of the gopE for the past 25 years and now they are paying the price by being purged themselves.

There's that 'hate' word being used again by another Trump supporter.  I don't recall anyone posting 'hate' in here other than by Trump supporters. I don't hate Trump and I certainly haven't resisted purging the GOPe; quite the opposite.  Funny, you can tell a lot about someone by the company they keep.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2016, 01:37:17 pm »

The GOPe got where they are and got their reputation by following Trumps advice on negotiating and compromising with the enemy. Trump and McConnell are cocaptains of the same sinking ship. Both losers.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online goatprairie

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2016, 02:45:23 pm »
While I will not vote for Trump, he would be the least worst choice of two awful candidacies. And he will not be the absolute dictator that many fear he will be.  Although his natural bent is to order everybody i.e. his flunkies to do what he wants,  obviously this will not happen if he is the president.
 Many pols will not jump through the hoops he commands them to jump through.  But hopefully, he will revert many of the unconstitutional edicts King Barack has foisted on the country.
What may be the worst thing about Trump, other than his wrong-headed beliefs on trade and some of his unconstitutional ideas about meddling in businesses not his own, is his philosophy of Trumpism. That is: what is good for Trump is good for the country. Which explains his support of the Kelo decision. That was good for Trump's bottom line. Screw the little people thrown out of their houses.
And one other bad  thing about Trump is that he will not promote the conservative philosophy. He is not Reagan in that respect. Trump is not educator.  Four or eight years from now the Democrats will nominate another nutty leftist, and Americans will be as ignorant about conservatism as the way to the future as they were before Trump ran.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:52:22 pm by goatprairie »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2016, 02:59:49 pm »
Trump might do well to begin by admitting that his relentless and vicious personal attacks on his Republican rivals for President were the product of his personal ambition, and not of significant differences in policy. That would necessitate an apology, which would seem to go against character.

But it would be a good start.

Then, he might more effectively go about identifying areas of common agreement where Republicans and like-minded independent voters can agree to oppose the likely Democrat nominee.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »
The New Yorker?

As someone pointed out on another thread it is quite interesting how the anti-Trumpsters invariably use Liberal sources to support their animus.

I don't need any source, liberal or conservative, to tell me why Trump deserves opposition.  I watched him in the debates and drew my own conclusions.

What I do find quite interesting is how some Trump supporters love to lump all his critics into conveniently discreditable packages by making ridiculous assertions such as the one you just made.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 03:31:59 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2016, 03:21:50 pm »
Trump might do well to begin by admitting that his relentless and vicious personal attacks on his Republican rivals for President were the product of his personal ambition, and not of significant differences in policy. That would necessitate an apology, which would seem to go against character.

Whatever Donald Trump does or would say #neverTrumps will simply turn it into another month-long feeding frenzy.

Even your "advice" is a thinly veiled attack on Mr. Trump.  Too clever by half.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2016, 03:25:58 pm »
Trump's efforts are important and perhaps belated, and as a supporter I'm comfortable acknowledging that much of the current rift is his responsibility due to tone and his own ambiguous ideological history. People have every right to question both his sincerity, his conversion to conservatism in the past few years, and his ability to be presidential. Its Trump's job to come to folks who don't support him and to sell where he wants to take the country as we move forward. And he is doing his best to do this, and I just hope that those who do not now support him can be open minded enough to at least lend him an ear. Trump is doing the right thing here, and for myself it strengthens my support of him as our nominee.

If more of those who have been supporting him would adopt this your tone, you might actually get your wish.

For me, it would take a public apology from Trump to the other candidates whom he insulted.  I'm not saying he has to fall on his sword and humiliate himself, but something like "I'm new to this politics stuff, and there are times when I can be a bit thin-skinned and say things I later regret.  So I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to Marco, Carly, etc.. for things I said during the campaign that I should not have said.  I've learned from that."

It's important not only because they deserve it, but because a public apology demonstrates at least the minimum degree of humility I think is essential for an acceptable leader.  He's got to show me that he's not going to act so immaturely and thin-skinned when criticized.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 03:31:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2016, 03:30:14 pm »
If more of those who have been supporting him would adopt thisyour tone, you might actually get your wish.

For me, it would take an apology from Trump to the other candidates whom he insulted.  It's important not only because they deserve it, but because a public apology demonstrates at least the minimum degree of humility I think is essential for a good leader.

And it is humility alone that might possibly sway some #Nevertrumps into #Maybetrumps.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2016, 03:33:29 pm »
Although his natural bent is to order everybody i.e. his flunkies to do what he wants,  obviously this will not happen if he is the president.

And you know that how?
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2016, 03:34:05 pm »
And it is humility alone that might possibly sway some #Nevertrumps into #Maybetrumps.

"Might possibly sway some into #Maybetrumps."  Is this quote directly from the DU talking points?  If not, tell me when "humility" won a presidential election. 

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2016, 03:37:05 pm »

I agree.  I just don't think he has to say something as humiliating as "personal ambition", etc..

Something like that would do him a world of good among voters in general, because I think it's his ego that scares some folks off.  But if he's unable to do that -- if he can't say words that most normal people can say even if it would materially aid him in winning the office, then I just don't think he's deserving of a vote.  I can put up with a lot of stuff for a candidate I don't like, just to avoid putting a scumbag like Hillary in office.  I just can't support a guy who said some of the things he said and allows those things to stand publicly.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 03:37:32 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2016, 03:39:35 pm »
If not, tell me when "humility" won a presidential election.

Ronald Reagan.

There are plenty of things that have been posted about him here, including a thread about the differences between he and Trump.  One of Reagan's most endearing qualities was his humorous self-deprecation.  Also, I'd suggest that his dominant personal quality was love of country/countrymen, which he clearly considered greater than himself.

I'd also say that was one of Dubya's qualities appealed to a lot of folks as well.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:21:21 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2016, 03:42:01 pm »
"Might possibly sway some into #Maybetrumps."  Is this quote directly from the DU talking points?  If not, tell me when "humility" won a presidential election.

I will refrain from direct comment because nothing I can possibly say can damage your reputation any more than your own words.

Except for this: when character does not matter to voters, we get - and already have - the President we deserve. 

Offline sitetest

• #NeverEVERtrump. #Neverhitlery
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2016, 03:46:29 pm »
I will refrain from direct comment because nothing I can possibly say can damage your reputation any more than your own words.

Except for this: when character does not matter to voters, we get - and already have - the President we deserve.
obama, and clinton, before, were God's just punishment of our nation.  It appears that our national sin remains, as, if we're unlucky we'll get the evil hitlery, and if we're even more unfortunate, we'll get the lying liberal stumpy.
Former Republican.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2016, 04:00:54 pm »

And that is what is really galling to NeverTrumpers like myself....the complete lack by the supposedly "conservative" pro-Trumpers to acknowledge his tremendous lack of character.  I've mentioned before I've never seen a candidate of any party slander and smear his opponents FROM HIS OWN PARTY!!! like Trump has done.
And now everybody is supposed to come together and hug one another to defeat Hillary? I think not. The opponents of Trump are still trying to clean off the sewage he dumped on them. And the big shots in conservative talk radio and elsewhere are wondering why there's still so much animosity directed at the Gilded Snake? I wonder how that suckup Hannity would feel if Trump called his wife the things Trump called his opponents' wives?
Character, or lack of it with Bill Clinton, is why I left the Donkey Party. I'm not going to vote for another person with similar lack of morals like Trump. And among other reasons I wouldn't vote for him is he's a demagogue .

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:08:50 pm by mystery-ak »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2016, 04:05:09 pm »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!