Author Topic: Largest solar power plant in the world bursts into flames  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Mechanicos

Largest solar power plant in the world bursts into flames
« on: May 21, 2016, 01:50:29 pm »
Largest solar power plant in the world bursts into flames
By Rick Moran

The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System located near the California-Nevada border, burst into flames when some of the thousands of mirrors that focus sunlight on water towers became misalinged and started an electrical cable fire.

The plant was built with a $1.6 billion taxpayer guaranteed loan and is run by a consortium of companies that include BrightSource Energy, NRG Energy and Google.

Firefighters had to climb some 300 feet up a boiler tower at the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System in California after fire was reported on an upper level around 9:30 a.m., fire officials said.

The plant works by using mirrors to focus sunlight on boilers at the top of three 459-foot towers, creating steam that drive turbines to produce electricity.

But some misaligned mirrors instead focused sunbeams on a different level of Unit 3, causing electrical cables to catch fire, San Bernardino County, California fire Capt. Mike McClintock said.

avid Knox, spokesman for plant operator NRG Energy, said it was too early to comment on the cause, which was under investigation.

The fire was located about two-thirds of the way up the tower, said Jeff Buchanan of Nevada's Clark County Fire Department, which also responded to the blaze.

Plant personnel had the fire out by the time firefighters reached the spot, and it was officially declared out in about 20 minutes.

Photos showed melted and scorched steam ducts and water pipes.

Knox said the tower was offline while crews assess the damage. He could not immediately say when it would restart.

The plant can produce enough power for 140,000 California homes, but a second tower is shut down for maintenance, leaving only one running.

It was not immediately clear what impact that would have on California's electricity supply.

https://vimeo.com/105448156
And the energy it does produce is incredibly expensive - $200 per megawatt hour, which is nearly six times the cost of electricity from natural gas-fired power plants.

A boondoggle to be sure. But there's a question of whether such industrial sized plants can operate safely and reliably.

Solar panels on your roof are harmless and may cut your electricity bill. But 300,000 mirrors focusing the awesome power of the sun on water tanks are expensive to build and operate and may end up costing electricity consumers more than fossile fuel plants. As we now see, it doesn't take much to shut them down and drastically affect power generation.

Ivanpah is called a "demonstration project." About the only thing it's demonstrating is its benefits have been overpromised and its perils, underreported.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/05/largest_solar_power_plant_in_the_world_bursts_into_flames.html

888oops888
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Largest solar power plant in the world bursts into flames
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 06:02:41 pm »
Would you want to climb that tower with all those mirrors around?

If they can't keep them pointed the right way when operating, how do you know they will keep them pointed away when you are up there?

It is just a matter of time...for a human.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:04:42 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:40:35 pm »
Reminds me of Saharah.

Dirk Pitt: What do you do if you're about to be exposed as the biggest polluter in modern history?

Al Giordino: I don't know, run for president?

Dirk Pitt: He is going to blow it up.

Al Giordino: That isn't very subtle.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 06:55:20 pm »
billions and billions of wasted dollars

just so they could power the Art Bell house...

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 06:58:04 pm »
billions and billions of wasted dollars

just so they could power the Art Bell house...

These things work great for flash roasting bald eagles.  Yum!
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 11:00:38 pm »
Solar power towers have been tried over and over again over the last 40 years. President Peanut promoted one built in Southern California back in 1977 or 1978. It was a 10 MWe plant using mirrors to heat sodium which was then used to make steam for a turbine. It operated sporadically for 15 years before it was finally shut down and dismantled.