Author Topic: Trump: “You can throw free trade out the window.”  (Read 4460 times)

Offline sinkspur

Re: Trump: “You can throw free trade out the window.”
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2016, 02:51:35 am »

Yes I did.. Let me use Harley as an example. All the Tariffs did was delay the inevitable.. Maybe if Harley actually modernized and made quality products then the tariffs would not have been needed..

Sorry but Tariffs should not be used to protect companies who fail to modernize.

Reagan never attempted to level tariffs against the exports of an entire country.  Such an effort today would be illegal via executive action and Congress would never approve it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2016, 02:54:35 am »
The Constitution doesn't say the POTUS can't criticize how business is conducted.

The only time Trump mentions constitution is when it is preceded by the word "morning".

Honestly Trump is the turd that won't flush. He will complete the destruction of America started by Obie
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

A-Lert

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2016, 03:02:02 am »

Yes I did.. Let me use Harley as an example. All the Tariffs did was delay the inevitable.. Maybe if Harley actually modernized and made quality products then the tariffs would not have been needed..

Sorry but Tariffs should not be used to protect companies who fail to modernize.

https://www.visitmo.com/harley-davidson-factory-tours.aspx

This 358,000-square-foot Harley-Davidson plant was built in 1998, producing the Sportster®, Dyna® and V-Rod® families of motorcycles from fabrication and finishing through final assembly.

That last fact, the low cost of repairing most motorcycle fix-its, may be the really important news for Harley-Davidson shareholders.

It may help to explain why -- Harley's weak performance on the surveynotwithstanding -- CR says Harley owners remain the most brand-loyal of all motorcycle owners, with an astounding 75% saying yes, they'd buy a Harley again. The occasional small repair bill may simply be a price they're willing to pay for owning the most famous name in motorcycles. (And it probably doesn't hurt that Harley goes the extra mile to take care of its customers when an issue with one of its bikes does arise.)

Offline bilo

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2016, 03:02:42 am »

The other issue with modernization of manufacturing (and even retail) is robotics. Labor costs in the USA are so high compared to other markets the only way companies survive is through increased productivity. Most people believe that means workers in the USA are better workers, but really it's through new equipment that requires less labor. As robotics grow manufacturing will become more efficient/productive but it will require fewer employees. Now driverless trucking is being developed. These are good paying jobs that will cease to exist in a generation.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

A-Lert

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2016, 03:03:21 am »
The only time Trump mentions constitution is when it is preceded by the word "morning".

Honestly Trump is the turd that won't flush. He will complete the destruction of America started by Obie

Grow up. Did you have to bring that crap here from FR?

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2016, 03:06:14 am »

My opinion. To bad for you that you don't have JR and his mods to provide you a safe space over here.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 03:09:27 am by Gov Bean Counter »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2016, 03:09:41 am »
That the talking point from the Trump HQ? Every time you get backed into corners, you whine and cry about FR.

Were here now. FR is there. Don't like it? File a complaint with the mods. In the meantime, get up off the floor because you arent getting the candybar.

A-Lert

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2016, 03:30:41 am »
My opinion. To bad for you that you don't have JR and his mods to provide you a safe space over here.

Your obsession with FR and JR are noted. Maybe you'll grow out of it someday.

A-Lert

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2016, 03:32:21 am »
That the talking point from the Trump HQ? Every time you get backed into corners, you whine and cry about FR.

Were here now. FR is there. Don't like it? File a complaint with the mods. In the meantime, get up off the floor because you arent getting the candybar.

You can't stop posting and whining about FR. Really sad.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2016, 03:34:53 am »
Your obsession with FR and JR are noted. Maybe you'll grow out of it someday.

You brought up FR, missy. Perhaps you should go back.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2016, 04:02:19 am »
You can't stop posting and whining about FR. Really sad.

You brought it up. Don't blame me for your actions. I encourage people to review your post history and see all the whining you do about it.

geronl

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2016, 04:07:34 am »
You can throw any freedom out the window

A-Lert

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2016, 06:49:21 am »
You brought up FR, missy. Perhaps you should go back.

Not interested, prissy.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2016, 12:19:16 am »
You can throw any freedom out the window
Last call for your freedom of speech.
Drink up. Happy hour will soon be enforced by law.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2016, 12:44:22 am »
The other issue with modernization of manufacturing (and even retail) is robotics. Labor costs in the USA are so high compared to other markets the only way companies survive is through increased productivity. Most people believe that means workers in the USA are better workers, but really it's through new equipment that requires less labor. As robotics grow manufacturing will become more efficient/productive but it will require fewer employees. Now driverless trucking is being developed. These are good paying jobs that will cease to exist in a generation.

I agree..  The days of people working in the same job for life is over.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

A-Lert

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2016, 01:38:16 am »

I agree..  The days of people working in the same job for life is over.

For millions, ever having a job appears to be over.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2016, 01:47:47 am »

So, people need to adapt or die. How did the Buggy whip makers survive when the Automobiles replaced their jobs? Also, I would like to know where in the Constitution that people have a right to a good paying job.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2016, 01:53:33 am »

What are they going to do about it?

A-Lert

« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2016, 02:01:21 am »
What are they going to do about it?

Who are "they"?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2016, 02:02:25 am »

A-Lert

« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2016, 02:04:30 am »

So, people need to adapt or die. How did the Buggy whip makers survive when the Automobiles replaced their jobs? Also, I would like to know where in the Constitution that people have a right to a good paying job.

They went to work for the auto manufacturers. Who claims people have a right to a good paying job?

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2016, 02:10:09 am »
They went to work for the auto manufacturers. Who claims people have a right to a good paying job?

If your job can be done by most anybody, then it can be done more cheaply elsewhere or by a machine here.

That's the reality of life.

Offline EtX

• Ready for Trump
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2016, 02:31:58 am »
Tonight at a fundraiser for Christie:

Trump: "A lot of you don't know the world of economics, and you shouldn't even bother. Don't worry, leave it to me."

Plus he told him "No more Oreos for you Chris." 

Trump always feels bigger when he can make someone else feel small.

What's gonna make Chrispy feel small is when tRump keeps the money like he did to the Vets.

A-Lert

« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2016, 02:55:43 am »
If your job can be done by most anybody, then it can be done more cheaply elsewhere or by a machine here.

That's the reality of life.

The reality of life is that there will always be a need for tradesmen, laborers, programmers, medical professionals, retail and  service industry workers, teachers, law enforcement, etc. Jobs for the most part  that require the employee to be present in this country. How many fast food jobs were there 50 years ago. How many fuel stations have service people who check your oil, wash your windshield  and pump your fuel? Most anybody could or can do those jobs, yet they can't be done more cheaply elsewhere.