Author Topic: Former Sec. of Defense Bob Gates: I don’t trust Donald Trump with nukes  (Read 1067 times)

Offline sinkspur

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-sec-of-defense-bob-gates-i-dont-trust-donald-trump-with-nukes-191851435.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Former Sec. of Defense Bob Gates: I don’t trust Donald Trump with nukes

Michael Walsh
Reporter
May 19, 2016

Robert Gates, the U.S. Secretary of Defense from 2006 to 2011, said Thursday that he would not be comfortable if Donald Trump had control over the launch codes for nuclear weapons.

Gates sounded off on the presumptive Republican presidential candidate during a wide-ranging interview with Yahoo Global News Anchor Katie Couric in New York.

“Would you feel comfortable with his proverbial finger on the nuclear button?” Couric asked.

Gates, who also served as director of the CIA in the early ‘90s, took a deep breath before answering:

“Right now? No. But the question is does he moderate his views on national security issues going forward? Does he begin to have some more informed views about the complexities of some of these issues, some of the challenges that we face? And who does he choose as his advisors? If all of those things turned out in a positive way, then my concerns would be significantly reduced.”

He said the right temperament is perhaps the most important quality for a president. When pressed, he declined to comment on whether Trump or likely Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton would be a better choice based on this criterion.

As secretary of defense, Gates served Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama, under whom he also worked closely with Clinton when she was secretary of state. He described Clinton as “tough-minded” but said their views started to diverge in spring of 2011, when he opposed and she supported the U.S. intervening in Libya.

“The irony is that the Obama administration made the same mistake in intervening in Libya that the Bush administration made in intervening in Iraq,” he said. “And that was the failure to have a plan for what happens after the intervention, after regime change and to implement that plan.”

He also pointed to Clinton’s email scandal as an example of what he considers her questionable judgment. Clinton exclusively used a private email server for her State Department work. In contrast, Gates said he never used any email for official business when he was director of the CIA or secretary of defense.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:40:16 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
I don't trust Trump either. He is vindictive and temperamental. He always "hits back harder."
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline flowers

Bob Gates and his pal teamobama will have taken our nuke ability out if he hasn't done so already by the time he leaves office. So no worry that Trump will use them. We won't have them anymore.

See nothing to worry about here on Trump and this issue.  :th_10444:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Bob Gates and his pal teamobama will have taken our nuke ability out if he hasn't done so already by the time he leaves office. So no worry that Trump will use them. We won't have them anymore.

See nothing to worry about here on Trump and this issue.  :th_10444:

Exactly.  So now Bill Gates is the conservative's guru.   **nononono*

I don't trust Trump either. He is vindictive and temperamental. He always "hits back harder."

Offline flowers

He is to most here it seems.  **nononono*  many are voices for them now.......the wrong ones.   **nononono*  It is a thing to watch really. Not only here all over these internets.

He is to most here it seems.  **nononono*  many are voices for them now.......the wrong ones.   **nononono*  It is a thing to watch really. Not only here all over these internets.

Methinks conservatives have crashed through the looking glass.  Hopefully, they'll climb back. 

Offline flowers

GOOD!  it is about time someone defends this country! MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.  Fear us, fear the next President of the United States for defending us and our true allies.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:11:08 am by flowers »

Offline sinkspur

Yeah. Let's entrust the nuclear codes to a crazy bastard who's up half the night tweeting out insults. 
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Yeah. Let's entrust the nuclear codes to a crazy bastard who's up half the night tweeting out insults.

:spam2:

Offline Norm Lenhart

:spam2:

Actually, just because YOU trust a thin skinned guy that's up all night tweeting insults, does not make calling him crazy 'spam'. Plenty of Psych types have gone on record about his oft demonstrated mental issue. Narcissistic Personality disorder.

Now if you don't have any issue with his oft demonstrated mental issue, then just openly say "I want someone with this mental issue in control of nuclear weapons" and we'll leave you to basket weaving or whatever people like you do. Because clearly rational discourse is something you choose not to be a part of.