Author Topic: White House smacks down Trump's Supreme Court list  (Read 451 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
White House smacks down Trump's Supreme Court list
« on: May 18, 2016, 08:10:32 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/donald-trump-supreme-court-list-response-223334

By Nick Gass

05/18/16 03:37 PM EDT

Minutes after Donald Trump on Wednesday released a list of 11 potential Supreme Court nominees, the White House did not even need to see the names to blast his choices and advocate for the Senate to move forward with the nomination of Judge Merrick Garland.

“Let me make this observation: I would be surprised if there are any Democrats who would describe any of those 11 individuals as a consensus nominee,” press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters during a news conference.

Earnest noted that Garland is someone who has been described by Republicans as a "consensus nominee," a descriptor used by Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) in 2010.

"And I think that speaks to the wisdom of the Senate acting on the president’s nomination and I think it speaks to the president’s commitment to fulfilling his constitutional responsibilities to fill the vacancy on the Supreme Court in a way that is consistent with his desire to protect the Supreme Court from the kind of partisan wars that it’s been subjected to of late," Earnest said.

Of the 11 names on the list, six were appointed to federal appeals courts by George W. Bush and five were appointed to their state supreme courts by Republican governors. In announcing the list, Trump's campaign proclaimed it as a who's who of judges seen as more conservative.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: White House smacks down Trump's Supreme Court list
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:17:04 pm »
I will go so far as to say that at first blush the list of names Trump released is VERY good!  Now all I need is some magic to make me believe that Trump would actually nominate anyone on that list!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:26:19 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 08:30:41 pm »
I will go so far as to say that at first blush the list of names Trump released is VERY good!  Now all I need is some magic to make me believe that Trump would actually nominate anyone on that list!

That's it exactly. There's no reason to trust Trump. These might just be "suggestions."
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 08:31:44 pm »
That's an important, smart move by his campaign.  Not only because of the names released, but because Obama was even nice enough to insult 6 sitting federal appellate judges.  Had to imagine a better endorsement.

Exactly.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 08:32:50 pm »
This is a great example of how to make a non-story into a story.....

I suppose the Obama folks might figure that the D's get some sort of political traction from this, but I can't see how.  More likely it's just thin-skinned Obama people reacting without thinking.

To people on the left, Supreme Court nominees are interesting only if they're anti-abortion. 

But Hillary has already got the pro-abort vote sewn up.

I suppose there could be a marginal effect of drawing some portion of the "pro-abort but not voting for Hillary" crowd back into her camp.

So all it really does is make Trump look somewhat better to some who are on the fence about voting for him.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 08:37:59 pm »

People who have driven the car into the ditch need to shut up and hand the keys to someone else.   

Obama is an idiot.   A mouthy man-child idiot. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 08:47:57 pm »

People who have driven the car into the ditch need to shut up and hand the keys to someone else.   

Obama is an idiot.   A mouthy man-child idiot.

You are too kind, sir.    888blackhat

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 08:49:21 pm »
This is a good list, I hope, if elected, he will follow through on it.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 11:11:10 pm »

Exactly. That's the huge question.  Will Trump actually do anything that he states?  He lacks credibility on the issues that launched his campaign and his liberal past is unsettling.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.