Author Topic: Conservatives' Deal with the Devil  (Read 305 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Conservatives' Deal with the Devil
« on: May 18, 2016, 04:44:25 pm »
Commentary from Michael Gerson:    Conservatives' Deal with the Devil

Conservatives latched on to the GOP as an instrument to express their ideals. Now loyalty to party is causing many to abandon their ideals. Conservatism is not misogyny. Conservatism is not nativism and protectionism. Conservatism is not religious bigotry and conspiracy theories. Conservatism is not anti-intellectual and anti-science. For the sake of partisanship -- for a mess of pottage -- some conservatives are surrendering their identity.

It is a very bad deal.

I'll take a few years in the political wilderness rather than trading my soul to the Trumpian devil.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 04:47:28 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Conservatives' Deal with the Devil
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05:57:52 pm »
I would not call the phenomenal "Loyalty to Party " over ideals.   If loyalty to the Party was what this is all about we would be talking about GOP nominee Jeb Bush right now.  The Trump supporters are only loyal to him as they demonstrated with the Support Trump Pledge they took.     They are laying the "loyalty to party" guilt trip on us that do not support him.

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:35:04 pm »
This leads to a second objection. Pursuing the short-term interests of the GOP, gained by unity, may actually damage or destroy the party in the longer term by confirming a series of destructive stereotypes.

I wouldn't consider a generation and a half short-term interests, which is how long many justices and judges stay on the bench.  The Democrats, the party of slavery, black codes, Jim Crow, and every kind of segregation easily slipped those millstones, while the GOP was trying to figure out if it was the party of Nixon, Goldwater or Rockefeller.  Voters are a lot more forgetful than we think.  Both political parties have been all over the place since the days of FDR/Truman.  I do believe that once the Democrat convention has concluded, they will unify, but with the mess the GOP has made for itself (with a little help from Democrats), even Hillary can walk away with all the marbles.  And that's a damn shame.  **nononono*
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 08:09:21 pm »
Commentary from Michael Gerson:    Conservatives' Deal with the Devil

I'll take a few years in the political wilderness rather than trading my soul to the Trumpian devil.

Conservatives didn't latch on to trump. Moderates at best did.