Author Topic: Donald Trump attorney demands retraction from New York Times  (Read 1604 times)

HAPPY2BME

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/17/media/donald-trump-new-york-times/

by Brian Stelter May 17, 2016

A Trump Organization attorney suggested Monday night that Donald Trump might sue the New York Times over a Sunday front page story about his behavior around women.

Then on Tuesday morning, another Trump attorney said "I don't think that this is going to end up in litigation," but called on The Times to retract the story and apologize.

The newspaper will not be doing that. It is standing firmly behind the story, which was the product of weeks of intensive reporting.

The controversy is the latest illustration of how Trump runs against the media while simultaneously courting media attention.

The presumptive GOP nominee tweeted 14 times on Monday, and 10 of the messages were broadsides against the Times. Among other things, he said the "failing" newspaper published a "false, malicious and libelous story" that was "totally dishonest."

The denunciations rallied Trump's supporters to his side while driving more traffic to the Times web site. The story ranked #1 on the Times' lists of most popular and most shared articles -- even though it was a day old and was hard to find on the Times home page.

A Times spokeswoman said the article is the news organization's most read politics story of the year, according to internal metrics.

Michael Barbaro and Megan Twohey's reporting, including 50-plus interviews, revealed examples of "unwelcome advances, a shrewd reliance on ambition, and unsettling workplace conduct over decades."

Trump began criticizing the story on Sunday morning, declaring that it was "a lame hit piece" and "a joke."

Later in the day he asked, "Why doesn't the failing @nytimes write the real story on the Clintons and women? The media is TOTALLY dishonest!"

He kept up the critique on Monday morning. He seized on a Fox interview with the first woman mentioned in the story, former girlfriend Rowanne Brewer Lane, who said the Times "spun" her words to make them seem negative.

Brewer Lane did not dispute any of the specific quotes or ask for a correction. But her complaint -- repeated on CNN later on Monday morning -- was enough for Trump to claim that the story was a "fraud."

He called up CNN's "New Day" control room to point out the Fox interview. And he tweeted, inaccurately, that the whole story has been "proven false." He also told his Twitter followers that nothing in the newspaper could be trusted: "Who can believe what they write after the false, malicious & libelous story they did on me."

Trump's use of the word libelous stood out to some observers since Trump has talked repeatedly about wanting to "open up the libel laws" to make it easier to sue media companies.

The candidate didn't tweet a lawsuit threat, but Trump Organization assistant general counsel Jill Martin left one on the table when asked about it on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront" Monday night.

"I think that is a distinct possibility," Martin said. "I haven't talked to him about it personally, but, you know, when he's attacked like that and things are said falsely, he definitely fires back."

Trump does have a reputation for being litigious, but he also has a reputation for blustery rhetoric about lawsuits that don't result in actual suits.

During a Tuesday morning interview on CNN, Trump Organization general counsel Michael Cohen agreed with anchor Chris Cuomo's statement that there's a "very high bar" for suing news organizations.

"It's a very high bar," Cohen said. "I don't think that this is going to end up in litigation. The truth is that The New York Times owes both Ms. Brewer and they owe Donald Trump an apology."

Cohen added, "They need to do a retraction and they need to actually be fair, because they're destroying their paper."

What surprised some people at the Times was the Trump camp's decision to repeatedly draw more attention to Barbaro and Twohey's reporting.

"In all seriousness, when was last time a major party nominee spent day making sure MORE people saw story they disliked?" Maggie Haberman, a Times reporter and CNN analyst, asked on Twitter.

Late Monday night, Trump pivoted from the Times as a whole to one of the key sources for the story, ex-employee Barbara Res, who told The Times that Trump called her "Honey Bunch" and routinely commented on the physical appearance of women in the workplace.

Trump tweeted that he gave Res a top construction job "when that was unheard of, and now she is nasty. So much for a nice thank you!"

He added, "What Barbara Res does not say is that she would call my company endlessly, and for years, trying to come back. I said no."

Res was also interviewed by Megyn Kelly on Fox News on Monday. "Slowly but surely, he started saying more things that surprised me, up to this day," Res told Kelly.

Offline markomalley

Re: Donald Trump attorney demands retraction from New York Times
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:47:11 am »
As much as I am not a Trump person, the story should absolutely be retracted...in light of the number of women who have repudiated the claims.

Funny how the libtard media always follows the same game plan each and every election cycle.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 12:09:36 pm »
In neither defending Trump or the NY Times, one thing jumped out in the leading paragraph. First, the NY Times probably wouldn't have run this article if not for Trump running for President.  The article states that he is using a "Trump Organization" attorney.  Therein lies the problem.  Is he mixing his political campaign and his business assets?  Is he reporting their time and expenses as part of his FEC filings?  Would be interesting if the NY Times (as much as they are not liked) will track that.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 12:27:10 pm »
In neither defending Trump or the NY Times, one thing jumped out in the leading paragraph. First, the NY Times probably wouldn't have run this article if not for Trump running for President.  The article states that he is using a "Trump Organization" attorney.  Therein lies the problem.  Is he mixing his political campaign and his business assets?  Is he reporting their time and expenses as part of his FEC filings?  Would be interesting if the NY Times (as much as they are not liked) will track that.

A good observation.  As I recall he also used a Trump organization attorney  to send pre-emptive cease and desist letters to PACS that supported other Republican candidates.  The letters said that if they published anything Trump considered untrue that Trump would sue.

Both are examples of him mixing personal and campaign business and both are examples of his bullying tactics.

I don't think that as President he would be able to keep personal business separate from National business. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 12:57:25 pm »
A good observation.  As I recall he also used a Trump organization attorney  to send pre-emptive cease and desist letters to PACS that supported other Republican candidates.  The letters said that if they published anything Trump considered untrue that Trump would sue.

Both are examples of him mixing personal and campaign business and both are examples of his bullying tactics.

I don't think that as President he would be able to keep personal business separate from National business.
Maybe the FEC should audit him, as well as the IRS!
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 01:03:45 pm »
As much as I am not a Trump person, the story should absolutely be retracted...in light of the number of women who have repudiated the claims.

Funny how the libtard media always follows the same game plan each and every election cycle.

Other than Rowanne ( who never disputed any of her comments), who has repudiated the claims?  Trump can't stand being attacked over women, which is why the press absolutely should continue to pursue this line of reporting.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 01:29:12 pm »

==================================

Hillary won't have that problem with Bill.

Offline mlizzy

• Rosary for Peace
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 01:50:18 pm »
Trump can't stand being attacked over women, which is why the press absolutely should continue to pursue this line of reporting.
@sinkspur

If the Times interviewed 50 women connected to Trump, maybe there might be a Part II, and Part III?
America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign. -Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 02:00:07 pm »
@sinkspur

If the Times interviewed 50 women connected to Trump, maybe there might be a Part II, and Part III?
In other words, where there's smoke, there's fire?  LOL

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 02:11:07 pm »

A corporation owns the jet he flies around in.   Must be awfully complicated keeping track of costs and making sure he claims it for personal use and/or the campaign.  I'm sure he does it.  /s
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 02:14:40 pm »
A corporation owns the jet he flies around in.   Must be awfully complicated keeping track of costs and making sure he claims it for personal use and/or the campaign.  I'm sure he does it.  /s
Not to mention, the expenses of his campaign (if he claims them) are income to himself and/or his corporation subject to taxes and audits by the IRS.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 01:33:22 am »
Maybe the FEC should audit him, as well as the IRS!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 01:59:16 am »

Couldn't be farther from the truth!

Offline Fantom

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2016, 02:03:01 am »

Seems about right.

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass