Author Topic: Texas Gov. Abbott: Have to Back Trump Over Hillary  (Read 1099 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Texas Gov. Abbott: Have to Back Trump Over Hillary
« on: May 17, 2016, 01:20:05 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=729130

Newsmax
Texas Gov. Abbott: Have to Back Trump Over Hillary
Tuesday, May 17, 2016 07:51 AM

By: Greg Richter

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott endorsed his friend and former employee Sen. Ted Cruz in the Republican GOP primaries, but now that Donald Trump is the presumptive nominee, Abbott tells Newsmax TV his new endorsement is an easy decision.

"It's either Trump or [Democrat] Hillary [Clinton] and I knew the complete disaster Hillary Clinton would be for the United States of America," Abbott said Monday on "The Steve Malzberg Show." "She must be defeated. Otherwise, America is in grave danger."

Abbott admitted it was tough to switch course, and added that Cruz himself may not be able to eventually back Trump himself because, "He went through the grinder with it, and sometimes it's more challenging for a candidate who goes through that process to be able to come out and make an endorsement."

Republicans are divided over Trump, with 2012 nominee Mitt Romney reportedly leading an effort to recruit a third-party conservative to run against Trump. Others in the party warn that such an effort will only divide the GOP vote and hand a certain victory to Clinton.

House Speaker Paul Ryan has yet to decide on Trump, and Abbott told Malzberg he isn't as surprised by Ryan's reluctance as some are.

Note: Watch Newsmax TV  on DIRECTV Ch. 349, DISH Ch. 223 and Verizon FiOS Ch. 115. Get Newsmax TV on your cable system – Click Here Now

"Listen, you cannot use the words in a sentence together 'I'm surprised' by anything this campaign cycle," Abbott said. "No one can predict what was going to happen this campaign cycle."

Abbott also discussed his new book, "Broken But Unbowed,"  on the strength he has gained in his faith after a falling tree left him paralyzed at age 26.

The book parallels his own journey to that of conservatives fighting to hold traditional values amid battles such as the transgender bathroom issue.

"It deals with this president and what he's done repeatedly about trampling the United States Constitution," Abbott said.

"The president does not have the authority to make these kinds of policies. That authority is given to the United States Congress, and what the president has done, he's rewritten the Constitution by himself, writing laws and trying to impose laws and the rule of law in America."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kevindavis007

Re: Texas Gov. Abbott: Have to Back Trump Over Hillary
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 01:30:51 pm »
Sorry, #NeverTrump means #NeverTrump  period.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:37:54 pm »
What is the rush with these people?

How about seeing if Trump takes even a baby step toward Conservatism before you jump in bed with his?

geronl

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 01:39:24 pm »
I unsubscribed from his emails and I will not go to see him when he stops in town today.

Offline Nickname

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:42:49 pm »
Abbott doesn't exactly sound excited about it.

I'm glad I'm not in his position.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:46:25 pm »
This is surprising to me; that the governor of TX would endorse Trump. Obviously he sees Hillary as a worse threat then Trump, I definitely don't agree with him at all.  Perry the ex-governor of TX has endorsed him as well.  Very interesting.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Nickname

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 02:01:43 pm »
This is surprising to me; that the governor of TX would endorse Trump. Obviously he sees Hillary as a worse threat then Trump, I definitely don't agree with him at all.  Perry the ex-governor of TX has endorsed him as well.  Very interesting.

Some of it likely has to do with others who are on the ballot and not completely depressing turnout.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 02:07:19 pm »
Some of it likely has to do with others who are on the ballot and not completely depressing turnout.

I am disappointed in Abbott. The GOP has not yet nominated Trump. There is still the convention where the delegates may decide to save the party and support Cruz.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Nickname

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 02:27:02 pm »
I am disappointed in Abbott. The GOP has not yet nominated Trump. There is still the convention where the delegates may decide to save the party and support Cruz.

That's true and I wouldn't mind if they did. This entire primary has been a disappointment.

Personally, I don't see that happening though. They're already struggling to create an illusion of unity with not much time left, and they'd have to start from scratch with even less time to go.

I'd love to be wrong though. So many heads would explode. And we'd actually have a conservative to vote FOR.