Author Topic: Mark Steyn: Hillary Presidency Would Be ‘Death of the Republic,’ ‘Descent Into Banana Republic’  (Read 4607 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Your wrapped a little tight. If this keeps up there's going to be a shortage of Reynold's Wrap. Hillary will lose in a landslide. You'll be disappointed and go into mourning, but you'll snap out of it when President Trump starts the process of resurrecting the US to greatness.

And you also must believe in the tooth fairy and Santa Claus.

Funny, I heard these same exact claims from the Obama drones in 2008 about hope and change and how Obama was going to make us great.

Idolatry is a grievous sin, as is false messiah worship.

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever. When the People once surrender their share in the Legislature, and their Right of defending the Limitations upon the Government, and of resisting every Encroachment upon them, they can never regain it." - John Adams, Letter to Abigail 1775
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Henry Noel

In my opinion the reason we have Trump is to make Hillary inevitable.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

A-Lert

Idolatry is a grievous sin, as is false messiah worship.

Then you Cruz acolytes should be ashamed of yourselves.

A-Lert

Because she has googobs of money and isn't taking any chances after Obama.

That doesn't make sense if as all the neverTrumps say, Trump was only in to assure a Hillary victory.

A-Lert

You may be right, but I would expect her to keep up appearances.  She also has to worry that he might try to take it from her.

He IS going to take it from her.

Offline goatprairie

FR even ran off people who said they were voting Trump because they were not worshipful enough.

That is simply insane
That is the truth. At one time I told my wife I was going to hold my nose and vote for Trump....which I mentioned on one Trump thread. I then listed a few gripes I had about Trump. I was immediately assailed by a few Trumpsters for attacking their hero.
Now arguing back and forth is part of  discusssions on all normal web forums...at least it should be. But the Trumpsters on TOS would permit no slander towards their hero. Because Trump is perfect. The first perfect Pubbie candidate ever.  Even though he's only been a "conservative" for about five minutes.
Hey gang, there is no such thing as a perfect candidate. They all have warts. The question who has the less warts and is still electable.
But we don't choose candidates just because they can beat Democrats. We have a conservative message we want to send to voters....or we should have. That's now out the window.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Then you Cruz acolytes should be ashamed of yourselves.

Typical response from the likes of you True Believers for Trump.  Gotta deflect and redirect the charge to absolve yourselves.

It's what the Obama drones do too.

No man running for office is going to save us, stop where we have arrived as a country, reverse the course we are on or 'resurrect us to greatness'.  Cruz was never going to do any of that, and I never suggested he would.  Neither is Trump or any politician or grifter running for office.

Those of you who believe Trump is going to 'start the process to resurrect us to greatness', are idolators who believe in a false messiah and have absolutely no understanding or comprehension what made us a great nation to begin with.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

A-Lert

Typical response from the likes of you True Believers for Trump.  Gotta deflect and redirect the charge to absolve yourselves.

It's what the Obama drones do too.

No man running for office is going to save us, stop where we have arrived as a country, reverse the course we are on or 'resurrect us to greatness'.  Cruz was never going to do any of that, and I never suggested he would.  Neither is Trump or any politician or grifter running for office.

Those of you who believe Trump is going to 'start the process to resurrect us to greatness', are idolators who believe in a false messiah and have absolutely no understanding or comprehension what made us a great nation to begin with.

For a self-professed Christian you certainly don't post like one.

Offline the_doc

He's brash, boisterous, aggressive and unapologetic.

You forgot to mention that he is vulgar, profane, and dishonest.   Worst of all, he slandered a good Christian who just happened to be a political competitor--all the while with Trump making the ridiculous and inarguably blasphemous claim that he is a "very strong Christian."  (Heck, my dog is more of a Christian than Trump--and my dog died three years ago.)

Hey, I can live with a President who is not a Christian.  But I am sick of the blasphemers in the professing Church who trample on the blood of Christ and act as if there is nothing for them to worry about. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Nope.  I'm not the milquetoast passive Christian you are probably used to.

Offline Idiot

You forgot to mention that he is vulgar, profane, and dishonest.   Worst of all, he slandered a good Christian who just happened to be a political competitor--all the while with Trump making the ridiculous and inarguably blasphemous claim that he is a "very strong Christian."  (Heck, my dog is more of a Christian than Trump--and my dog died three years ago.)

Hey, I can live with a President who is not a Christian.  But I am sick of the blasphemers in the professing Church who trample on the blood of Christ and act as if there is nothing for them to worry about.
:hands:

Offline the_doc

INVAR has noticed that this is a spiritual war that we are in.  That being the case, I will add that INVAR is a tough polemicist who will not compromise.  As it happens, I am not inclined to compromise either.

I think Trump proved by his slandering opposition to Ted Cruz--who was the most staunch Constitutional conservative in the race (and who also happens to be a credible Christian)--that Trump is not an America First guy, but a Trump First guy.

My bottom-line point, A-lert, is that Trump is not just an anti-Republican, but a peculiarly deceptive enemy of the Republic and enemy of its Creator.  We  need to fix our Constitutional government and Cruz gave us a good chance to start the serious process, only to be snuffed out by Trump and a shocking number of evangelicals who are inclined to excuse his blasphemies just because Trump says he is a Christian.  By attacking a good man like Cruz, Trump was actually attacking the America of our Founders.

Of course, even Trump does not fully realize this--nor do you, it appears.  I think you're in this mess way over your head. 

Offline Mechanicos

INVAR has noticed that this is a spiritual war that we are in.  That being the case, I will add that INVAR is a tough polemicist who will not compromise.  As it happens, I am not inclined to compromise either.

I think Trump proved by his slandering opposition to Ted Cruz--who was the most staunch Constitutional conservative in the race (and who also happens to be a credible Christian)--that Trump is not an America First guy, but a Trump First guy.

My bottom-line point, A-lert, is that Trump is not just an anti-Republican, but a peculiarly deceptive enemy of the Republic and enemy of its Creator.  We  need to fix our Constitutional government and Cruz gave us a good chance to start the serious process, only to be snuffed out by Trump and a shocking number of evangelicals who are inclined to excuse his blasphemies just because Trump says he is a Christian.  By attacking a good man like Cruz, Trump was actually attacking the America of our Founders.

Of course, even Trump does not fully realize this--nor do you, it appears.  I think you're in this mess way over your head.
Yet by inaction and some action you help ensure a Bisexual, likely Satanic sociopath who hates America continues the Caliphate/Soros destruction of this once great Christian Nation. Me, I'm going by what I can see with my own eyes. Trump ain't perfect, but hes not evil. Hillary is evil.

BTW me and millions of other Christians found Cruz to not be a good man.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

BTW me and millions of other Christians found Cruz to not be a good man.

Expected, given your posts that justify sin and sexual indiscretion by political candidates as an asset, not a detraction.  Calling good evil and evil, good - is a hallmark of this II Timothy 3 generation.

A-Lert

You are entitled to your opinion. If he "slandered a good Christian" as you allege, then that person should take civil action. You judging another person's faith is a bit presumptuous. There are plenty of well known people who wear and have worn their Christianity on their sleeve in public and do and act the opposite in private.

A-Lert

You are entitled. Cruz didn't give us a chance because he couldn't and didn't win. He comes across as a cold, calculating, impersonal and holier-than-thou. Face reality, Cruz wasn't popular with the electorate.

Offline the_doc

I thoroughly agree.  I also posted a warning to those who have claimed, without any evidence, that President Trump would surely prosecute and jail Hillary and most of the Obama administration. 

The most important point you made is that there are no mortal messiahs for America.  Those who believe that Trump is a savior of America are not able to consider even the possibility that he is a RINO wolf in sheep's clothing. 

For my own part, I do not even believe that Cruz would be a savior of America.  However, I believe that a thorough recovery of respect for our non-inspired but still God-given Constitution could be the instrumental means of ultimately saving our Republic--since, after all, our Republic is essentially our Constitution itself.  (Our Constitution, not our POTUS, is the nation-defining head of our Body Politic--and that is something that Cruz understands.  A blustering egomaniac in the White House, despite calling himself a Republican, will not understand this.)

If Republicans are dumb enough to nominate Trump, much less to vote for him in the general election, I think we have become so unhinged from our Constitution's Framers warnings about the necessity of integrity in our representatives that we are no longer salvable as a Republic.   

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Wake up and smell the bananas Mark, we're already there.

Dictatorial decrees about perverts using bathrooms, promises of punishment from both the Marxist Communist and the Nationalist Populist Fascist running for Dictator - unsustainable debt while spending trillions more for imported barbarians and refugees who have no intention of assimilating and the majority of the masses pining for a monarch - we are already a post-Constitutional Fascist mobocracy.

Sadly I must agree!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The "choice" we have between Trump and Hillary is which particular cliff to drive off of.

Trump or Hillary? Cyanide or arsenic?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
In my opinion the reason we have Trump is to make Hillary inevitable.

BINGO!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

For my own part, I do not even believe that Cruz would be a savior of America.  However, I believe that a thorough recovery of respect for our non-inspired but still God-given Constitution could be the instrumental means of ultimately saving our Republic--since, after all, our Republic is essentially our Constitution itself. 

I am decidedly more cynical due to my reading of what the Founder's themselves warned:

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever. When the People once surrender their share in the Legislature, and their Right of defending the Limitations upon the Government, and of resisting every Encroachment upon them, they can never regain it." - John Adams, Letter to Abigail April 1775

History and human nature bear-out Mr. Adams' warning, and one that I think was preserved as a prophecy for us.

Offline the_doc

You are entitled to your opinion. If he "slandered a good Christian" as you allege, then that person should take civil action. You judging another person's faith is a bit presumptuous. There are plenty of well known people who wear and have worn their Christianity on their sleeve in public and do and act the opposite in private.

I am not the Judge of All the Earth--nor would I want to be.  I am disqualified from that role by my own imperfections.  Having stipulated that, however, I will uncompromisingly submit that I do have enough Scripturally-instructed spiritual judgment to notice that the entire New Testament condemns Trump for what he has said and done without shame in public.  Therein consists my bottom-line complaint against professing Christians who claim that I am being judgmental in pointing out the obvious.  I have to respond that many professing Christians are just ill-taught spiritual dullards who are intimidated by blustering, phony professions of faith, thereby winding up protecting and even promoting yet another ravening political wolf in the flock--this time in the Republican Party.

Offline the_doc

I am decidedly more cynical due to my reading of what the Founder's themselves warned:

"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever. When the People once surrender their share in the Legislature, and their Right of defending the Limitations upon the Government, and of resisting every Encroachment upon them, they can never regain it." - John Adams, Letter to Abigail April 1775

History and human nature bear-out Mr. Adams' warning, and one that I think was preserved as a prophecy for us.

Oooooh, that is a pretty spooky quotation!  I have publicly offered my opinion (especially on FR) that, barring a miraculous intervention, we may already be doomed as a Republic--for example (to paraphrase Franklin), having been doomed decades ago when the people found out that they could vote themselves money.  Franklin said that this would not be the end of the Republic, but that it would herald the end.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Oooooh, that is a pretty spooky quotation!  I have publicly offered my opinion (especially on FR) that, barring a miraculous intervention, we may already be doomed as a Republic--for example (to paraphrase Franklin), having been doomed decades ago when the people found out that they could vote themselves money.  Franklin said that this would not be the end of the Republic, but that it would herald the end.

The Republic our founders gave us died quite a long time ago and the empire that replaced it is now on it's last legs as well!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mechanicos

I am not the Judge of All the Earth--nor would I want to be.  I am disqualified from that role by my own imperfections.  Having stipulated that, however, I will uncompromisingly submit that I do have enough Scripturally-instructed spiritual judgment to notice that the entire New Testament condemns Trump for what he has said and done without shame in public.  Therein consists my bottom-line complaint against professing Christians who claim that I am being judgmental in pointing out the obvious.  I have to respond that many professing Christians are just ill-taught spiritual dullards who are intimidated by blustering, phony professions of faith, thereby winding up protecting and even promoting yet another ravening political wolf in the flock--this time in the Republican Party.

Yet here you are helping a Known evil aka Hillary.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17