Author Topic: Trump advisor: 'This words matter stuff is ridiculous'  (Read 6622 times)

Offline markomalley

Trump advisor: 'This words matter stuff is ridiculous'
« on: May 15, 2016, 06:53:05 pm »
From the American Thinker:

Donald Trump's "pivot" to the general election has been pretty much of a disaster.  He has proposed raising taxes on the wealthy only to walk that idea back. He now says his ban on Muslims entering the US is a "suggestion."

Accordingly, CNN's Dan Senor asked Trump advisor Barry Bennett if all Trump's issues were just a suggestion.

Washington Free Beacon:

In an appearance on Erin Burnett’s OutFront, Bennett called Trump’s controversial proposals no different than “a suggestion to Congress.” Senor hit Bennett for Trump’s varying stances on numerous issues and wondered if any of his campaign promises, like banning Muslims from entering the U.S. or building a southern border wall, would ever come to fruition.

“Can be build it without Congress’ approval? No,” Bennett said. “So he has to persuade Congress to do it.”

“So we can now caveat every policy proposal as it’s just a suggestion,” Senor said.

“Dan, you’ve been around Washington long enough that it takes Congress to go along,” Bennett said. “All he can do is try to persuade Congress to go along with him. You know that as well as I do.”

“I do, but typically words matter when political leaders—” Senor said.

“Oh please, this ‘words matter’ stuff, I mean, this is ridiculous,” Bennett said. “You are looking desperately for a reason not to vote for him. I don’t care. Don’t vote for him.”

Senor couldn’t help but smile at the other panelists when Bennett ridiculed the idea that what politicians say matters.

“My favorite line, honestly, of this campaign may have just been articulated by you,” Senor said. “’This words matter stuff is ridiculous. Don’t take him at his word. Don’t take him at his word.’”

To the detriment of our politics, Bennett is absolutely right. The idea that words uttered by politicians matter to the voter is ludicrous. Those that take the time to study where a politician stands are cynical enough to realize that everything a politician says has a set shelf life. Barack Obama has exploited this to its fullest extent, flip flopping on so many issues it leaves one breathless.

The issue is credibility. Politicians don't have any. The media has even less. And the American voter now sees elections as TV dramas with heroes, villians, and comic relief. Who can use what bathroom has become a major national issue even while the world is blowing up and our economy is melting down.

Politicians are, as fictional TV anchor Howard Beale once noted of the TV industry, are in the boredom killing business. And one thing Trump is definitely not is boring. The more outrageous his words, the more votes he gets.

Even if what he says doesn't matter as far as policy is concerned.

You just can't make this stuff up.

Bill Cipher

Re: Trump advisor: 'This words matter stuff is ridiculous'
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 06:58:40 pm »
That's just it.  I don't take Trump at his word, I take him at his actions and his past, and that proves he's a lying liberal. 

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 07:05:53 pm »
That's just it.  I don't take Trump at his word, I take him at his actions and his past, and that proves he's a lying liberal.

Trump's words mean nothing. His followers have been scammed.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 07:16:18 pm »
Sorry in my world, words mean things..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 07:25:59 pm »
From the American Thinker:

To the detriment of our politics, Bennett is absolutely right. The idea that words uttered by politicians matter to the voter is ludicrous. Those that take the time to study where a politician stands are cynical enough to realize that everything a politician says has a set shelf life. Barack Obama has exploited this to its fullest extent, flip flopping on so many issues it leaves one breathless.

The issue is credibility. Politicians don't have any. The media has even less. And the American voter now sees elections as TV dramas with heroes, villians, and comic relief. Who can use what bathroom has become a major national issue even while the world is blowing up and our economy is melting down.

Politicians are, as fictional TV anchor Howard Beale once noted of the TV industry, are in the boredom killing business. And one thing Trump is definitely not is boring. The more outrageous his words, the more votes he gets.

Even if what he says doesn't matter as far as policy is concerned.

You just can't make this stuff up.

So the Trump hater adds to what was said which was a truth for once. I.e. we are not in an autocracy where the Executive has King powers. He has goals. They have to go thru the other 2 branches to get done. Nobody said he was not going to try to do them, nor that he was not going achieve them. Only that the process makes them ideas at this point that have to be work their way thru the other 2 branches.  Its only the dishonest who add to this truthful FACT their spin he never meant them, lied and was walking them back .  Guess the stupid party was so used to politicians lying to them they forgot how government is supposed to work for bills and laws. 
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Bill Cipher

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 07:29:19 pm »
"Truthful hyperbole" is not a mature change of positions based on considered reflection.  It's merely Trump's cowardly euphemism for lying. 

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 07:32:33 pm »
So the Trump hater adds to what was said which was a truth for once. I.e. we are not in an autocracy where the Executive has King powers. He has goals. They have to go thru the other 2 branches to get done. Nobody said he was not going to try to do them, nor that he was not going achieve them. Only that the process makes them ideas at this point that have to be work their way thru the other 2 branches.  Its only the dishonest who add to this truthful FACT their spin he never meant them, lied and was walking them back .  Guess the stupid party was so used to politicians lying to them they forgot how government is supposed to work for bills and laws.

Since you asked me on the other thread, I'll ask you here. Who pays YOU to spin for Donald Trump?

Offline kjam22

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 07:35:50 pm »

Enough King Trumpy Worship.   King Trumpy was not giving us a civics lesson when he said he was only giving suggestions.   He said that so he could walk them back when ever he said something remarkably stupid (which is pretty close to daily).     Only a true King Trumpy Worshiper would buy that garbage.   
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 08:05:25 pm »
If words do not matter to a people, which is to say they are held to no longer contain objective meaning, then the ideas of which mere words are composed are likewise rendered meaningless and of no effect.

When human actions are unconstrained by anything other than will and the force to impose it, tyranny inevitably follows.

It follows not infrequently to the cheers of throngs, often composed of those who freely discarded their liberty in exchange for perceived security.

Always in history, formerly free and educated societies devolve when the shared values and ideas they once honored are replaced by envy, fear, and resentment. Human rights are steadily eroded as the standards by which words and actions of individuals were once proudly judged, and the institutions once formed to effect such standards are replaced by one thing: the rule of brute force.

Americans: do you still love liberty? Do you have the weapons to defend it? Good. You're going to need them. All of them.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 08:31:43 pm »
“I know words, I have the best words. I have the best, but there is no better word than stupid.”

Stupid.  The one word Trump Knows.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 08:37:25 pm »
 :facepalm2:

Interesting strategy by Trump.....Instead of having to walk back everything he says on a daily basis, just announce up front "nothin I say matters" :silly:

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 08:45:55 pm »
If words do not matter to a people, which is to say they are held to no longer contain objective meaning, then the ideas of which mere words are composed are likewise rendered meaningless and of no effect.

Excellent in all aspects.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which wsy the wind blows."

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 08:50:54 pm »

Interesting strategy by Trump.....Instead of having to walk back everything he says on a daily basis, just announce up front "nothin I say matters" :silly:
:hands:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 08:52:05 pm »

When human actions are unconstrained by anything other than will and the force to impose it, tyranny inevitably follows.

It follows not infrequently to the cheers of throngs, often composed of those who freely discarded their liberty in exchange for perceived security.

Always in history, formerly free and educated societies devolve when the shared values and ideas they once honored are replaced by envy, fear, and resentment. Human rights are steadily eroded as the standards by which words and actions of individuals were once proudly judged, and the institutions once formed to effect such standards are replaced by one thing: the rule of brute force.

Americans: do you still love liberty? Do you have the weapons to defend it? Good. You're going to need them. All of them.

As usual you leave me with nothing to say beyond a loud  :amen:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Bill Cipher

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 08:54:06 pm »
“I know words, I have the best words. I have the best, but there is no better word than stupid.”

Stupid.  The one word Trump Knows.

Stupid is as stupid knows?

Bill Cipher

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 08:55:15 pm »

Well put.  Is Trump Caesar, Brutus, Antony, or Augustus?

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 08:59:56 pm »

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 09:30:32 pm »
Stupid is as stupid knows?

One day, For no particular reason...

Offline skeeter

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 09:55:49 pm »

Right. To what do we hold our leaders accountable if not their words?

We can't. Its pretty elementary but apparently the truth is beyond the majority's grasp.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 10:00:22 pm »
Since you asked me on the other thread, I'll ask you here. Who pays YOU to spin for Donald Trump?
Nobody pays me Norm I do this out of charity. For what I can get paid this is not a good use of my time for the pay.
Now since The democrats have tons of money to pay trolls specifically to recruit Cruz people who is paying the most shrill, emotional and dishonest  (dead giveaways) #neverTrump democrat/foreign people?
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 10:05:54 pm »

Trump has not walked back anything. Thats the Liberals running #neverTrump adding to him being truthful that at this time and with his current position nothing he says has the force of law. If he does not get elected it will be the same as Cruz's positions, suggestions until actualized. Nothing says they are not what he wants and will try to achieve once in office. Stop letting Liberals think for you.

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 10:10:55 pm »

He's Gracchus.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 12:04:52 am »
Antony was a general who supported Julius Caesar, whose somewhat Trumpian populism did allow him a few years of effective rule. Until the Ides of March arrived one year... "Et tu, Brute?"... when Brutus, an ambitious Senator, conspired against the tyranny of his former ally.  Augustus (Octavian) was Caesar's great-nephew, and was most remembered for restoring the Republic and ushering in the Pax Romana, a great peace that lasted for two centuries. I would wager that Mr. Trump is blissfully unaware of any of the foregoing, nor would the details interest him in the slightest, for whatever lessons he might learn from them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:06:56 am by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 12:12:02 am »

Tiberius

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 12:14:19 am »
Tiberius

Y'all give the man too much credit. He has too little intellect to be compared to those historical cads. He's his own special type of cad.  ****sheep****
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin