Author Topic: 6 convention fights for the GOP's future  (Read 913 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
6 convention fights for the GOP's future
« on: May 14, 2016, 01:52:04 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/ted-cruz-republican-national-convention-rules-223175

6 convention fights for the GOP's future

Ted Cruz's allies are coming to Cleveland ready for a set of high-stakes fights over the party's rules.

By Kyle Cheney

05/14/16 07:48 AM EDT

Updated 05/14/16 09:05 AM EDT

Ted Cruz has given up on running as the Republican party’s presidential nominee, but he hasn’t given up on running the Republican party.

When Cruz heads to Republican National Convention this summer, he’ll bring a list of ideas for changing the way the party governs itself and picks its presidential nominee. He’ll also bring plenty of backup: hundreds of delegates who were handpicked by the Cruz campaign. The delegates were assembled as part of Cruz’s now aborted bid to capture the party GOP nomination in Cleveland, but now they’ll be key allies on the rules committees and other panels that will set the party’s ground rules for the next four years.

Cruz is eyeing another presidential run in 2020, but it’s about more than that. Along with setting the rules of the GOP primary, the party will also hash out its official policy platform — and even to determine how much power the Republican National Committee has to make new rules of its own.

But Cruz isn’t the only one coming to the convention with an eye to the future. Donald Trump and his allies, fresh off a stunning primary run, have their own ideas about what's next for the party. As do the parts of the party responsible for the 2013 GOP autopsy, which called for Republicans to consider immigration reform and take a more inclusive tone in its interaction with women, Latinos and other minorities.

They’re all coming to Cleveland, ready to rehash old fights and pick new ones — all against the backdrop of a party that has been turned on its head by the most unlikely of nominees. Here are the marquee battles.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: 6 convention fights for the GOP's future
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 09:55:58 pm »
Maybe Trump's delegates will defect and join Cruz.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 10:04:01 pm »

They better or the GOP is toast on the national level!

I won't believe that they have actually handed the keys to Trump until they actually do it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:12:06 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 10:36:33 pm »
 :nothappen:
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 10:37:30 pm »
Here's your GOP on Trump:

Texas Republican state convention rejects resolution condemning degrading remarks toward women or minorities by GOP candidates.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 11:57:46 pm »
Here's your GOP on Trump:

Texas Republican state convention rejects resolution condemning degrading remarks toward women or minorities by GOP candidates.

Please post a link to this.  I'd like to know who's defined "degrading" and what the definition is before I comment on the rejected resolution.

Thanks.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 11:58:53 pm »

I doubt that, strongly.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 12:35:02 am »
If the GOP's (immediate) future is anything like the past twenty years, it HAS NOT FUTURE.