Author Topic: Speaker Ryan Says He Had ‘Encouraging, Productive’ Meeting With Trump  (Read 469 times)

rangerrebew

Speaker Ryan Says He Had ‘Encouraging, Productive’ Meeting With Trump

(CNSNews.com) – House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) spoke to reporters Thursday following a meeting with presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump, which he said was an “encouraging, productive conversation” about how to unify the party around core principles.

“I think we had a very encouraging meeting.” Ryan said. “Look it’s no secret that Donald Trump and I have had our differences. We talked about those differences today. That’s common knowledge. The question is what is it that we need to do to unify the Republican Party and all strains of conservative wings in the party”

“We had a very good and encouraging, productive conversation on just how to do that,” he said.

“It was important that we discussed our differences,” Ryan acknowledged, adding that, “it was also important that we discussed the core principles that tie us all together. Principles like the Constitution, the separation of powers, the fact that we have an executive that is going way beyond the boundaries of the Constitution and how it’s important to us that we restore Article 1 of the Constitution. You know it’s the principle of self-government.

“We talked about life and how strongly we feel about this core principle. We talked about the Supreme Court and things like this,” he said. “I was very encouraged with what I heard from Donald Trump today.”

Ryan said he believed that he and Trump “are now planting the seeds to get ourselves unified, to bridge the gaps and differences,” and from there they will “go deeper into the policy areas to see where that common ground is and how we can make sure that we are operating off these same core principles.
Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/lauretta-brown/house-speaker-ryan-says-he-had-encouraging-productive-meeting-trump

rangerrebew

Translation:  I haven't been able to extort everything I want from Trump yet. :tongue2: