Author Topic: First Evidence of Humans in North America Found Off Florida, New Study Says  (Read 858 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
First Evidence of Humans in North America Found Off Florida, New Study Says
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a20872/tools-mastodon-florida-underwater-archaeology/
It took decades, and a countless number of SCUBA tanks. Now, the painstaking excavation of an underwater archaeological site in northern Florida may change our understanding of when humans first populated North America.

A team of archaeologists led by Jessi Halligan—an anthropologist who specializes in underwater archaeology at Florida State University—just completed an aquatic dig of the oldest archaeological site in the American Southeast. It's a deep sinkhole called the Page-Ladson Archaeological Site located just beyond the southeastern skirts of Tallahassee in the Aucilla River. Halligan's team found stone knives and mastodon bones, tusks and dung, leading the scientists to believe the mastodon was either butchered or scavenged at the site by humans. Most interestingly, 71 individual radiocarbon dates show that the site is at least 14,550 years old—a full 1,500 years before many scientists recently believed humans first populated North America. The underwater dig was outlined today in the journal Science Advances...

There's some pretty cool info about how they did this at the link. Real Dirk Pitt kind of tech.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
There's also an interesting dig on the east coast (Vero Beach) that could possibly establish the presence of man in the State @14,000 years ago.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Explorer89

• FR Class of '98
I have long wondered about the real history of civilization.  Most early peoples would have lived somewhat near the oceans, as fish was an easy source of food.  Check out this link:

http://www.iceagenow.com/Sea_Level_During_Last_Ice_Age.htm

Take a look at the difference between today's coastlines and the ice age coastlines.  There is an awful lot of land where the people would have been that is simply covered up.  This wasn't all that long ago...about 15,000 years ago.  Definitely modern humans.

The story of Noah's flood is mirrored in many other cultural histories.  Can you imagine the amount of flooding these people all had to deal with with the sea level rising 400 feet in about a thousand years?

:th_10444:

Offline Suppressed

First Evidence of Humans in North America Found Off Florida, New Study Says
​The stuff dates back to 14,500 years ago. Score one for underwater archaeology.
By William Herkewitz. May 13, 2016
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a20872/tools-mastodon-florida-underwater-archaeology/

Excerpt:
. . .

A team of archaeologists led by Jessi Halligan—an anthropologist who specializes in underwater archaeology at Florida State University—just completed an aquatic dig of the oldest archaeological site in the American Southeast. It's a deep sinkhole called the Page-Ladson Archaeological Site located just beyond the southeastern skirts of Tallahassee in the Aucilla River. Halligan's team found stone knives and mastodon bones, tusks and dung, leading the scientists to believe the mastodon was either butchered or scavenged at the site by humans. Most interestingly, 71 individual radiocarbon dates show that the site is at least 14,550 years old—a full 1,500 years before many scientists recently believed humans first populated North America. The underwater dig was outlined today in the journal Science Advances.

. . .

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn