Author Topic: Cruz not interested in Supreme Court seat  (Read 1201 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cruz not interested in Supreme Court seat
« on: May 13, 2016, 05:56:55 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/279834-cruz-not-interested-in-supreme-court-position

May 13, 2016, 11:56 am
Cruz not interested in Supreme Court seat
By Jesse Byrnes

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) on Friday said he isn't interested in being nominated to the Supreme Court.

"That is not a desire of my heart," Cruz said during an interview with WBAP in Texas when asked if he had aspirations to become a justice.

"I have had several opportunities in the past to go to the bench, and I certainly deeply respect the job the justices do," Cruz said.

Some Republicans have floated Cruz, a former Texas solicitor general, as a potential pick to fill the court's vacant seat should Donald Trump win the White House in November.

Trump, however, indicated earlier this month that he'd "have to think about" nominating Cruz.

"I think we need a strong conservative president who will appoint not just one but two, three, four five Supreme Court justices who are principled constitutionalists," Cruz said Friday.

But the Texas senator indicated he's more interested in staying in Congress.

"I believe that I can do a great more good fighting across the political spectrum," Cruz said, calling for "leadership" to repeal ObamaCare, abolish the IRS and fight "radical Islamic terrorism."

Cruz was also asked whether he would work to help craft the GOP platform at the party's convention in Cleveland in July. Cruz ended his presidential campaign last week but still holds the second most delegates in the race.

"That is certainly a high priority and what I am working hard to do," Cruz said.

Cruz declined to endorse Trump for president this week, saying he has plenty of time to make a decision on backing the businessman.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Cruz not interested in Supreme Court seat
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:04:43 pm »
Wise decision.  I doubt Cruz could receive an affirmative vote from the Senate.   888blackhat

Offline RedHead

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:30:32 pm »
Since neither Clinton or Trump would have nominated him then it's probably a good thing it isn't his heart's desire.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 06:35:31 pm »
Very interesting as he has spent most of his life defending the Constitution and has won several important Supreme Court cases.  I think he'd make an excellent justice, but obviously he feels he's better serving "We the People" where he's at.  I support him in his decision and will continue to support him in the future.

Ted Cruz.  Reigniting the Promise of America.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 06:55:31 pm »
Very interesting as he has spent most of his life defending the Constitution and has won several important Supreme Court cases.  I think he'd make an excellent justice, but obviously he feels he's better serving "We the People" where he's at.  I support him in his decision and will continue to support him in the future.

I think he's more of a "doer".  Becoming a SCJ would take him out of actively fighting the fight.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 07:01:26 pm »
I think he's more of a "doer".  Becoming a SCJ would take him out of actively fighting the fight.

Agreed. He is leading the conservative fight to restore this Country and our Constitution.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:30:07 pm »
Lots of agreement going on around here.

:smokin:  :patriot:
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline flowers

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 07:32:14 pm »
Wise decision.  I doubt Cruz could receive an affirmative vote from the Senate.   888blackhat
  :smokin:  that is very true.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 07:50:06 pm »
  :smokin:  that is very true.

I disagree.  Cruz received a warm welcome and a round of applause when he got back to the Senate.  IF anything he has proven that he has core conservative principles, values and integrity and that he does honor and adhere to the Constitution and doesn't waver.  He would be a God send to the Supreme Court right now -- with Scalia gone we need a conservative justice who will rule according to the Constitution.  That's is what we'd get with Cruz.  Cruz doesn't want the position ... he wants to make more headway in the Senate. The very stark reality is we are going to need every GOP Senator we can get this election in order to hold our majority.  I don't see it happening but, there is still hope.  Rubio is leaving and if Cruz were to leave -- that's 2 out of the 5 seats needed to lose our majority. 

Offline Half Vast Conspiracy

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:54:39 pm »
@RedHead

Since neither Clinton or Trump would have nominated him then it's probably a good thing it isn't his heart's desire.

Talk of Trump picking Cruz is to politics as....

Fantasy Baseball is to Baseball.

Offline keeptherepublic

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 08:31:31 pm »
This news makes me sad. He would be outstanding on the court -- one of the few in politics who really knows our Constitution. 8888crybaby

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 08:51:11 pm »

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 02:35:32 am »

I think Cruz may end his career in the SC. I am still holding out hope that the delegates at the convention won't support Trump and for the good of the Republic, nominate Cruz.
Principles matter. Words matter.