Author Topic: Cruz: Those who bolstered Trump 'will bear that responsibility going forward'  (Read 122397 times)

Offline libertybele

No.  Each state (leaving aside Nebraska and Maine where two electors are chosen at large and one each from each of the Congressional districts) is a first past the post winner-take all election to chose electors, all of whom will be loyalists of the candidate who takes the plurality (or majority) of the votes in that state, and in some states all of whom are bound under penalty of criminal sanction to vote in the Electoral College for the candidate who took the plurality (or majority) of popular votes in that state.

While it might be a moral victory to deny both of the corrupt, immoral, wannabe-Caesars the major parties have put up a majority of the popular vote, doing so is unlikely to stop one of them from being chosen in the Electoral College.  The only hope of doing that is a wave of support for minor party candidate (meaning Johnson, no neither Castle, more desirable, though he may be to conservatives, nor Stein have any hope of pulling enough votes to matter) strong enough to carry a few states and with a pattern of drawing support from Trump and Clinton that keep either from getting a majority in the Electoral College.

Leaving aside the possibility of a death on the campaign trail, the only, vanishingly slim, chance of keeping both Trump and Clinton out of the White House is Johnson carrying a state or two, the election thrown to the House of Representatives and a GOP House having decided that Trump is insane electing Johnson, with the Senate giving him a VP from whichever major party controlled the Senate after the election.

Thanks for the clarification.  Voting for Trump, Clinton or Johnson is not an option for me.  I'll write in Cruz.  Perhaps that vote won't be counted and perhaps my ballot will not be counted and all the down ballot votes lost ... but ... I will have voted my conscience.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

Leaving aside the possibility of a death on the campaign trail, the only, vanishingly slim, chance of keeping both Trump and Clinton out of the White House is Johnson carrying a state or two, the election thrown to the House of Representatives and a GOP House having decided that Trump is insane electing Johnson, with the Senate giving him a VP from whichever major party controlled the Senate after the election.

They wouldn't have to give it to Johnson.  They could give it to whomever finished fourth or fifth.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Thanks for the clarification.  Voting for Trump, Clinton or Johnson is not an option for me.  I'll write in Cruz.  Perhaps that vote won't be counted and perhaps my ballot will not be counted and all the down ballot votes lost ... but ... I will have voted my conscience.

Your vote counts.  You will have sent out a clear message that unlike a majority of Americans, you are an American who does show up to vote.  Your vote was guaranteed to be cast.  No one had to prompt you to visit the polling place on election day.  You came because you love liberty.  Your vote was readily available for any candidate.  But not one of them earned it.  Not one.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline RetBobbyMI

I'll take the 10%.  That's 10% of the vote that neither Trump or Hillary get.  I'm hoping that Castle will take in about 3% and my gut feeling is that Cruz write in's will be much larger than anyone ever expected...the scenario could very well deny both Trump or Hillary the majority needed.

Pretty clear choice with Darrel Castle.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Hoodat

Pretty clear choice with Darrel Castle.

Looks pretty darn Conservative to me.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I will no more hand a strategy vote to Johnson, whose views I find largely deplorable, just to stop Trump than I will hand a strategy vote to Trump just to stop Hillary.  It's the same argument.  I reject it.
That's where we disagree. Johnson may be wrong, but Trump and Clinton are a whole different league of deplorable.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
They wouldn't have to give it to Johnson.  They could give it to whomever finished fourth or fifth.
Actually, the House is limited to the top three Electoral College vote-getters (as it would require at least three getting one vote to not get a majority in the College).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline The_Reader_David

No.  Read the 12th Amendment.  The relevant part being:

...The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. . .

It's the top three finishers in electoral votes (or top two in the event of a tie at 269 each).
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline libertybele

No.  Read the 12th Amendment.  The relevant part being:

...The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. . .

It's the top three finishers in electoral votes (or top two in the event of a tie at 269 each).

Consider this scenario ... highly unlikely, but not impossible.

https://olddominionlibertarian.wordpress.com/2016/01/14/how-the-constitution-could-let-the-house-stop-both-clinton-and-trump/

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
If anything, Trump helped Cruz's run as well.

Offline libertybele

:rolling: :rolling: Usually, I'm not at a loss for words, but your logic leaves me dumbfounded!   
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 03:40:00 am by libertybele »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

I'm not sure what is in the water there, but I wouldn't drink any more of it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

I'm not sure what is in the water there, but I wouldn't drink any more of it.

It's Trump love.

It turns healthy brains into mush.

(btw, this one, I believe CLAIMED to have supported Ted Cruz.  Methinks he's not being straight with us about that).
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It's Trump love.

It turns healthy brains into mush.

(btw, this one, I believe CLAIMED to have supported Ted Cruz.  Methinks he's not being straight with us about that).

Quote from: JustPassinThru on Today at 03:07:40 AM

THAT...is the core of the whole Conservative Movement.

And it terrifies the political class.  If government is made unimportant, irrelevant; and personalities minimized...what do we need with an Elite Political Class?

Today, thanks to the actions of the Elite Political Class, people are hurting - they are roiled and terrified for their future.  Cruz came forward with essentially this same message.  Trump came forward, and in his simpleton's vocabulary he promised "Great Deals" and "Working Smarter" - with a MORE powerful government.  He also slandered Cruz, and anyone who cared to look could see the lie.

Madison had it right.  The Constitution is only workable when used by a moral and religious people.  It is not a suitable governing tool for fools, for liars, for amoral legalists or those who choose to be ignorant.

He couldn't be any more right!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

Likewise, if the US gets hit by a big terror attack if Clinton is elected president, who will share that responsibility? People like Cruz.

Offline musiclady

Quote from: JustPassinThru on Today at 03:07:40 AM

THAT...is the core of the whole Conservative Movement.

And it terrifies the political class.  If government is made unimportant, irrelevant; and personalities minimized...what do we need with an Elite Political Class?

Today, thanks to the actions of the Elite Political Class, people are hurting - they are roiled and terrified for their future.  Cruz came forward with essentially this same message.  Trump came forward, and in his simpleton's vocabulary he promised "Great Deals" and "Working Smarter" - with a MORE powerful government.  He also slandered Cruz, and anyone who cared to look could see the lie.

Madison had it right.  The Constitution is only workable when used by a moral and religious people.  It is not a suitable governing tool for fools, for liars, for amoral legalists or those who choose to be ignorant.

He couldn't be any more right!

That's a great post from JPT.....

Trump's popularity proves that we have lost the values that the Founders knew were necessary to keep the country afloat.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Likewise, if the US gets hit by a big terror attack if Clinton is elected president, who will share that responsibility? People like Cruz.

Everyone who voted for the Iranian agent currently in the White House and ANY of his minions!  That's who!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline chae

Honestly, I'm more scared of a Trump presidency than a Hilary one.  They both have the same ideas and beliefs, a bigger more intrusive nanny state governments. 
But I don't think that Hilary has the cult-like adoration even among her supporters that Trump does, For instance Harleylady's post on TOS that if Trump started randomly shooting people on the street she'd be right there egging him on and supporting him, and all the other freaks there agreeing with her. 
Hilary supporters seem to be more "eh well, she's all we got". 
Also, it's a vain hope I know but perhaps with a Dem president that isn't black, we might have some wusses in Washington willing to give a bit of opposition since now they'll just be sexiest and not racist too.

Offline musiclady

Some time, Tom, you will have to tell us your story.......

Specifically how you were transformed so quickly from one who voted for and supported Cruz to one who despises him, mocks him, and blames him for everything that's wrong in the world.

Was it some sort of Trump miracle??  Or what??

@TomSea
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 01:50:56 pm by musiclady »

Offline TomSea

Clinton Obama per many people already have a big responsibility for the refugee crisis.

Brilliant, don't vote for their opposition, absolutely brilliant.

Offline musiclady

Clinton Obama per many people already have a big responsibility for the refugee crisis.

We're voting our consciences and values.

That bothers you, doesn't it?

I mean that values stuff.......

Offline Drewsmum

That's a great post from JPT.....

Trump's popularity proves that we have lost the values that the Founders knew were necessary to keep the country afloat.

888sunglass 888sunglass

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Except that what YOU deem the opposite is anything but the opposite! It's more of the same on steroids!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Everyone who voted for the Iranian agent currently in the White House and ANY of his minions!  That's who!

There will be terror attacks no matter who is president because its the world we live in now. Anyone who thinks Orange Glorious has some kind of magical power to shield us needs to burn their voter registration and seek treatment.

The best we could have hoped for was a president with the sense to fight terrorism effectively.

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish

That's insane. It's not Cruz's fault that Tump is a fraud.
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.