Author Topic: Trump Doubles Down on McCain POW Insults  (Read 599 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Trump Doubles Down on McCain POW Insults
« on: May 11, 2016, 11:56:40 pm »
Donald Trump says he doesn't regret his "not a hero" insult of former POW Sen. John McCain — doubling down on a diss that caused a furor early in the presumptive GOP presidential nominee's primary campaign.

In an interview Wednesday on the "Imus in the Morning" radio show, Trump boasted his July attack on the Arizona lawmaker raised his poll numbers.

Breaking News at Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Trump-Doubles-Down-McCain-Insults/2016/05/11/id/728350/#ixzz48OXNHgOg
Urgent: Rate Obama on His Job Performance. Vote Here Now!

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Trump Doubles Down on McCain POW Insults
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:50:25 am »
I'm not fond of McCain, but it seems obvious that Trump is trying for a bump in his poll numbers by calling a military person names. 

"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:56:10 am »
I'm not fond of McCain, but it seems obvious that Trump is trying for a bump in his poll numbers by calling a military person names.

He is calling McCain things, it is no smear on the military.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 11:52:31 am »

I don't know why Donny would continue this insult as McCain seems to at least support him as far as being the GOP nominee.  Trump doesn't care who he insults...he's a narcissist and feels he is above everyone else.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/08/politics/john-mccain-donald-trump/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 11:54:19 am »

/snicker

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 12:05:58 pm »

Just those who get captured. It is important to note that Trump dislikes the troops who get captured.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 12:07:15 pm »
Headline is very misleading:

"Well I've actually done that, Don," Trump tells the radio host. "You know frankly, I like John McCain, and John McCain is a hero. Also, heroes are people that are — whether they get caught or don't get caught — they're all heroes as far as I'm concerned. And that's the way it should be."

That doesn't sound like doubling down to me. It sounds like Donny is starting to temper his ego a little. Not a bad thing.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 12:09:29 pm »
Just those who get captured. It is important to note that Trump dislikes the troops who get captured.
No hes not smearing POWs hes attacking McCain.
$neverTrump is not going to succeed in trying to make this about the military or POWS. Looks desperate and more then a little deranged to keep trying.

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 12:46:09 pm »
Headline is very misleading:

That doesn't sound like doubling down to me. It sounds like Donny is starting to temper his ego a little. Not a bad thing.
And then Trump goes on to say....

"So do you regret saying that?" Imus pressed.

"I don't, you know — I like not to regret anything," Trump replied. "You do things and you say things. And what I said, frankly, is what I said. And some people like what I said, if you want to know the truth. There are many people that like what I said. You know after I said that, my poll numbers went up 7 points."

So. By his own admission Trump insults a man be calls a "good guy" because he thinks he was rewarded for it.At least he is honest about that much.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 12:49:31 pm »
And then Trump goes on to say....

"So do you regret saying that?" Imus pressed.

"I don't, you know — I like not to regret anything," Trump replied. "You do things and you say things. And what I said, frankly, is what I said. And some people like what I said, if you want to know the truth. There are many people that like what I said. You know after I said that, my poll numbers went up 7 points."

So. By his own admission Trump insults a man be calls a "good guy" because he thinks he was rewarded for it.At least he is honest about that much.

He's a selfish grandstanding ahole.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:50:05 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 01:01:36 pm »
Trump mocks a POW while his own personal Vietnam was Studio 54.

I've kinda joked about voting for Hilliary to stop Trump but the more he talks the more I am convinced to do everything I can to be sure this draft dodging A-hole never gets close to the Whitehouse, what a steaming piece of orange crap.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:02:44 pm by montanajoe »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 01:02:28 pm »
He's a selfish grandstanding ahole.

Projection?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:03:11 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 01:22:30 pm »
Projection?

Nope.  Just dumbing down my comment so you Trumpkins can understand.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 01:29:20 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 01:49:42 pm »
Honestly, your response is why so many people can't resist nasty broadsides at Trump supporters.  When someone can't admit that the candidate they support said/did something stupid (and they ALL do that at one point or another), they appear a zealot rather than a thinking person.

Trump saying that McCain is not a hero because he got captured, and that he prefers people who don't get captured, was an insult to every POW.  There's no way around that.  I've known a few POW's personally , and whatever you think of McCain in particular, the rest of them did not deserve Trump's "I prefer people who don't get captured."  Even Trump himself has backed off that statement by saying "they were all heroes whether they were captured or not."  He's too egotistical to admit that he regrets saying it, but it's clear in context that he's taking it back.

If he can acknowledge (in his own Trump way) that he was wrong, why can't you?

It was an unwise statement by Mr. Trump...but as you noted...his follow up that "they were all heroes whether they were captured or not" makes it pretty clear that this is about personal animus between himself and Mr. McCain.

I've spoken with and heard lectures from guys who were in the Hanoi Hilton with McCain, and John is undoubtedly a genuine hero. He took beatings for other guys and stayed on when he could have gotten out of there early. That said, I also know a number of people who know him quite well on a personal level here in Arizona...and its a pretty universal opinion that he's a huge jerk with a very bad temper. A complicated man, but just not a nice guy. So like all things in life, relationships and people are complex.

Mr. Trump and Mr. McCain dislike each other and their words make that very clear. Trump should have been careful to keep his criticisms of McCain insular so as not to cast aspersions on other veterans and POW's...because THAT was never his intention nor does it reflect his personal opinion on veterans...but it is, admittedly, an obvious shortcoming of his that he often makes broad brush statements when he really intends to hit a specific target.

That unpleasant tendency to "say something stupid" happens because Trump is unpolished, not a professional politician carefully managing his language to eliminate every misinterpretation or conflation of his comments. He's a businessman and a New Yorker who attacks with unrestrained vigor, sometimes unintentionally painting with a brush that is crass and overly broad. That lack of polish, call it crudeness or whatever you wish, is also evidence of candor and is quite honestly a part of why people are willing to trust him and support him. But clearly, its a two edged sword.

Ultimately, his shortcomings are tied to his strengths (I suppose that is true of everyone). I'd rather have a guy who blurts out crass honesty with a piss poor filter, than a polished guy who's words reveal nothing of his inner thoughts or intentions....which is what 95% of politicians do.

And lets not forget, Donald Trump is wildly popular amongst the troops and with veterans. A recent Stars and Stripes poll showed the troops support him over Hillary be more than a 2-1 margin...lacking any real data, anecdotally, it seems very likely that he is even stronger with older veterans.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:50:39 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 01:55:52 pm »
It was an unwise statement by Mr. Trump...but as you noted...his follow up that "they were all heroes whether they were captured or not" makes it pretty clear that this is about personal animus between himself and Mr. McCain.

So Trump doesn't say what he means and just irrationally insults people. Thanks for confirming what most of us already knew.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 01:59:03 pm »

That unpleasant tendency to "say something stupid" happens because Trump is unpolished, not a professional politician carefully managing his language to eliminate every misinterpretation or conflation of his comments. He's a businessman and a New Yorker who attacks with unrestrained vigor, sometimes unintentionally painting with a brush that is crass and overly broad. That lack of polish, call it crudeness or whatever you wish, is also evidence of candor and is quite honestly a part of why people are willing to trust him and support him. But clearly, its a two edged sword.

Hogwash, I know plenty of people who aren't politicians who speak with care, honest and direct but not insulting.

Trumps communication style is because of his narcissistic personality.  He is a crude boorish man who is so entirely self centered that he doesn't even consider other people.  He grew up with a gold spoon and is a bully.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 02:02:20 pm »

Same reason he had no problem smearing Ted Cruz, also a very good man, and his family in his quest for power. 

This is precisely why I will not vote for Trump.  Not only is he a progressive, but he is a malicious narcissist who has no problem destroying others with lies and smears, or using power to go after the less powerful as he did that widow in the eminent domain case, or using connections to go after perceived enemies as he did Ted Cruz's family with the help if his friend at the Nat's Enquirer Pecker.  Imagine what he would do if put in charge if IRS, EPA, and other federal bureaucracies.

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 02:05:12 pm »
Hogwash, I know plenty of people who aren't politicians who speak with care, honest and direct but not insulting.

Trumps communication style is because of his narcissistic personality.  He is a crude boorish man who is so entirely self centered that he doesn't even consider other people.  He grew up with a gold spoon and is a bully.

Precisely.  He is a narcissist and possibly as sociopath, IMO.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 02:32:32 pm »

Gotta love the attempts at pop psychology. Brilliant.

The truth is that there are no perfect candidates, and there never has been. Trump is imperfect, just less so than was Cruz and far less so than Clinton. Those who proclaim that Trump followers don't perceive his flaws, and somehow are part of a cult of personality, are engaged in a sort of juvenile wishful thinking. We see his flaws, and we see his strengths...cumulatively they add up to a better leader and candidate than any of the other options in our opinion. You may see it differently, but you embarrass yourselves when you pretend Trump followers are any less analytical, rational, principled and wise than yourselves.