Author Topic: Cameron finally apologises for falsely claiming imam supports IS - MEE  (Read 243 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Read with caution, it's probably close enough to the truth:

Cameron finally apologises for falsely claiming imam supports IS

Apology comes after a prolonged campaign by MEE columnist Peter Oborne for Cameron to apologise

LONDON - British Prime Minister David Cameron was forced to make a humiliating public apology to a London imam he had labelled as a supporter of the militant Islamic State (IS) group.

He said on Wednesday evening he was sorry for "any misunderstanding" after telling MPs three weeks earlier during Prime Minister’s Questions that Suliman Gani, an imam from Tooting in South London, was an “IS supporter”.

"The prime minister was referring to reports that he [Gani] supports an Islamic state. The prime minister is clear this does not mean Mr Gani supports the organisation Daesh and he apologises to him for any misunderstanding." 

His remark appeared to be a premeditated statement in response to a planted parliamentary question.

Joanne MacInnes, a friend of Gani and a campaigner, told Middle East Eye Cameron's apology was "pathetic".

"They started a domino effect - just by saying it they made it a thing and they did so without a shred of evidence … no wonder they have had to apologise for what they have done to my friend," she said.

"It is extremely significant that Cameron has apologised because the PM doesn’t really apologise to anyone, but he has not done it to Suleiman’s face and he needs to go much further to set the record straight," she said.
- See more at: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/cameron-finally-apologises-falsely-claiming-imam-supports-13320787#sthash.VbyVLQr3.dpuf

As I've said, Cameron is far from perfect, I think the Tories came out and supported same-sex marriage; but he still seems to be a lot better than what we currently have and what might be elected in November.

BBC reports in same manner:

David Cameron sorry over 'IS' cleric comment
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36272269
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:54:10 pm by TomSea »