Author Topic: Lesser of Two Evils Election?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline libertybele

Lesser of Two Evils Election?
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:46:06 pm »
So tell me.  How is this election any different than the past several presidential elections; W. Bush was the lesser evil of Gore, W. Bush was the lesser evil of Kerry, McCain was the lesser evil of Obama, Romney was the lesser evil of Obama.  As for this election, I really don't care who the lesser evil is between Trump and Hillary as I don't plan on voting for either one!  Why should I vote for evil??  Seriously?

Lesser-of-two-evils election? Trump, Clinton make play for crossover votes

The outcome of the 2016 White House race could come down to which candidate successfully appeals to voters as the lesser of two evils – and not just who does the better job of driving party faithful to the polls.

There’s little argument over the deep voter distaste for Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton and presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump -- with polls essentially showing them the most unpopular presidential candidates in modern U.S. history.

The RealClearPolitics.com polling average pegs Trump’s unfavorability rating at roughly 65 percent, and Clinton’s at about 55 percent. A fresh Quinnipiac poll shows voters in key swing states have sour feelings toward both candidates. In Tuesday's Nebraska GOP primary, four in 10 voters still chose someone other than the party's presumptive nominee. And in West Virginia, exit polls showed a third of Democratic primary voters vowing they'd vote for Trump over Clinton.

But in those numbers may lie a unique opportunity: a chance for the likely general election foes to poach disenchanted voters from each other’s party. This raises the possibility of a frenzied scramble for crossover votes going into the fall -- as Trump appeals to Democrats to vote against Clinton, Clinton appeals to Republicans to vote against Trump, and both play big to independents.

Republican strategist Rob Burgess pointed to a long history of Americans “claiming to vote for the [lesser] of two evils.” However, he says such lore could be reality in 2016, especially if Trump continues to harp on Clinton’s legacy of “shady record-keeping.”

“As long as Secretary Clinton is being investigated for the improper handling of our country's classified documents, voters will pause before casting a vote for her," he said.

Clinton has struggled with voters who question her trustworthiness amid an FBI investigation into her use of private emails while secretary of state and other controversies.

Likewise, Trump’s controversial comments and views on everything from Muslims to women to illegal immigrants – and fluid positions on a range of key issues -- have made him plenty of foes on the Republican side.

There already are signs Clinton’s team wants to peel off disaffected Republicans – and GOP donors. The day after Trump won a landslide victory last week in Indiana, a top Clinton fundraiser reached out to a Republican fundraiser with an email, obtained by FoxNews.com, that included the subject line: “We want you on the Hillary team!!!”

“Definitely let me know if there's even a slight chance of getting you on our team,” the email read. “Trump will be a disaster for the country if he wins the presidency.”

Trump has an uncanny appeal for many voters, which helped him vanquish 16 GOP rivals and increase party turnout “by millions and millions” compared with 2012, as he frequently boasts.

Still, some party elders and leaders are reluctant to get behind him, including House Speaker Paul Ryan. Former Presidents George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush also have no plans to endorse Trump, though no prominent Republican has publicly vowed to instead vote for Clinton.

Perhaps the most high-profile defector to Clinton is Mark Salter -- a former, long-time adviser to 2012 GOP presidential nominee John McCain.

“I’m with her,” he tweeted after Trump attacked then-primary rival Texas Sen. Ted Cruz based off a National Enquirer story....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/11/lesser-two-evils-election-trump-clinton-make-play-for-crossover-votes.html?intcmp=hplnws
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: Lesser of Two Evils Election?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 10:49:17 pm »
I don't vote for evil, period.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 10:52:49 pm »
"Of two evils, choose neither."

Charles Spurgeon

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 10:54:01 pm »
Neither is the lesser; that's the problem. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 11:02:07 pm »

Offline kjam22

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:09:06 pm »
I really don't care who the lesser evil is between Trump and Hillary as I don't plan on voting for either one!  Why should I vote for evil??  Seriously?

Lesser-of-two-evils election? Trump, Clinton make play for crossover votes

Agree..... I won't vote for either of them.  Not going to happen....
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 11:15:03 pm »
I probably can't bring myself to vote for Trump.  I'll probably vote for the libertarian, even though he is a nut.

I cast my vote in NY, though, so it doesn't matter.

Hillary will beat Trump in NY like a orange-headed step child.
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 11:17:56 pm »

Good articulation of what I've been thinking. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 11:20:42 pm »
Hmmmm the lesser of two evils…..

Progressive Populist Fascism

Or

Marxist Communism

Statism and tyranny with different heads but still a dictatorship nonetheless.

No thanks.  I choose not to play their shell game.

I'm making other arrangements for the consequences that they will bring.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

geronl

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 11:26:52 pm »
There is no lesser evil this time around

Offline Fantom

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 11:30:29 pm »

Personally I consider it a choice 'Twixt the "lessor" of two weasels.

And , sad too say...Hilary is a lessor weasel than trump.

Not that I will vote for either one.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 11:31:19 pm »

There is no lesser evil this time around

Yep...  :beer:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 11:34:03 pm »
Good articulation of what I've been thinking.

Yep.. embrace the suck... it will get darker before the Dawn... Cruz.. or Sasse in 2020.

Frederick Douglass

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 11:35:32 pm »
if Hillary is to the left of the left side and Trump is to the far left of the right side, I wonder where crossover votes come from, or go?  Neither will get the right of the right.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 11:56:10 pm by RetBobbyMI »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Fantom

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 11:47:03 pm »
if Hillary is to the left of the left side and Trump is to the right side, I wonder where crossover votes come from, or go?  Neither will get the right of the right.

That kind of circular logic is worth a bisection.. or a colonoscopy.. take your pick.

But I thought trump was left of Hillary these days.. well maybe Scam Wow farted and Hilly moved downwind.

Frederick Douglass

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 11:59:17 pm »
Anyone still think that this isn't a hostile take over of the GOP by Clinton/DEMS/Trump?  I believe this has been in the works for quite sometime. I wouldn't be surprised if members of the GOPe like McConnell are involved.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 12:04:17 am »
Anyone still think that this isn't a hostile take over of the GOP by Clinton/DEMS/Trump?  I believe this has been in the works for quite sometime. I wouldn't be surprised if members of the GOPe like McConnell are involved.
Something to be said about all of Trumps contributions to the Dems, Clintons, etc.  Pay to Play?  Pay to get their help?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 01:06:15 am »
Anyone still think that this isn't a hostile take over of the GOP by Clinton/DEMS/Trump?

Yes.  This is a shareholder revolt from the GOP grassroots up.