Author Topic: Fat 'activist' rails against 'thin privilege' and 'fat oppression'  (Read 1313 times)

rangerrebew

May 11, 2016
Fat 'activist' rails against 'thin privilege' and 'fat oppression'
By Rick Moran

On the "lighter side" of the news, so to speak, "fat activist" Virgie Tovar spoke at the University of Minnesota school of public health, and...well you have to read it to believe it.

Heatstreet:

Tovar’s talk, entitled “Dispelling Myths: Fat, Fatphobia, and Challenging Social Stereotypes,” was designed to help students understand that “fat phobia” is rampant in a “white, heteronormative society” that is looking to actively oppress people with larger body types. Society’s bias against fat people is, apparently, a form of bigotry and discrimination, evident in everything from sexual preferences to the size of seats on public transportation.

She even, reportedly, compared society’s anti-fat culture to so-called “rape culture,” and chastised society for its obsession with what she termed “thin privilege.”

According to Tovar, the students, who study public health (at one of the top 10 schools for public health), shouldn’t push people they deem overweight to shed pounds, even if it’s better overall for health. “Weight loss is not a realistic goal for most people,” she said, declaring that exercise and diet are “social constructs.” She implored her audience to “lose hate, not weight” and rebel against “diet culture.” (Diets are, of course, just a tool of the hetero-normative Patriarchy.)

She did not specify how “losing hate” would have the same impact on, say, your chances of dying of heart disease, but we assume she was not referring to any scientific understanding of human anatomy or disease.

No surprise, Tovar, who lists her occupation as “fat activist,” has a Masters in Human Sexuality—with a focus on the “intersection of body size, race and gender”—and taught at the University of California, at Berkeley, where that is considered an actual academic field of study. Her expertise is wide-ranging.

None of this is suprising.  Social justice activism has a template that can be used for a wide variety of issues.  The vocabulary is the same; the name-calling is similar; and, of course, the villain is familiar: straight white males.  In this case, it's the morbidly obese who are being oppressed.  But soon, ugly women will have their own movement, redheads will also come out as being oppressed.  Any body part, any difference whatsoever will be appropriated as a social justice cause whose "victims" need protection.

As predictable as this "social justice" madness has become, the damage it does to society is real and lasting.  We are being Balkanized by those who are slicing our culture into ever smaller pieces, each with an "authentic" voice of oppression.  The goal is to eliminate "normal" as a dominant feature in society.  We should be able to tolerate anyone.  But when they start demanding special treatment to make white males pay for their perceived (or delusional) oppression, it is right and proper to slap them down and point out how ludicrous their importunings are.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/05/fat_activist_rails_against_thin_privilege_and_fat_oppression.html#ixzz48NLylLKf
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Fat 'activist' rails against 'thin privilege' and 'fat oppression'
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 01:41:18 am »
"Fat 'activist' rails against 'thin privilege' and 'fat oppression'"

Hey, Virgie:

Why don't you rail against gravity?
That certainly "oppresses" fat folks more than thin folks!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 03:22:47 am »
Unattractive women:
"The Man is disrespecting us by not treating us like attractive women!"

Attractive women:
"The Man is disrespecting us by treating us like attractive women!"

'Murica.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 11:34:55 am »
Good lord:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 12:06:40 pm »
When I see these hippos marching or waddling for their 'rights', then I will be impressed.

BTW, on a side note, do you know how these people get to be 500lbs and up in weight? It is because obesity is a government sanctioned disability. Therefore, we buy their food, their housing, and their in-home health care for them. This is because many of them cannot move and are too fat to get out of bed.

Heart failure is not 'politically correct', so this is ultimately always a self correcting issue.

This is a problem that you will not find in Africa, or in 90% of places on Earth where the value of food is different. In some cases, there is not enough food in the entire country to support these few Jabbas.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 12:55:37 pm »
Her expertise is wide-ranging.
From pizza to donuts, ice cream to Chips Ahoy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 02:21:07 pm »
From pizza to donuts, ice cream to Chips Ahoy.

I would bet she has serious expertise in candy, soda pop, and cake also. :silly:

rangerrebew

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 02:25:33 pm »

According to Tovar, the students, who study public health (at one of the top 10 schools for public health), shouldn’t push people they deem overweight to shed pounds, even if it’s better overall for health. “Weight loss is not a realistic goal for most people,” she said, declaring that exercise and diet are “social constructs.” She implored her audience to “lose hate, not weight” and rebel against “diet culture.” (Diets are, of course, just a tool of the hetero-normative Patriarchy.)

This woman is in trouble.  Here is a big liberal who isn't aware the Obama administration has already gone to war against obesity.  By advocating people stay fat she stands an excellent change of Loretta Lynch sending her storm troopers for a visit some night. :dighole:

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 10:32:10 pm »
Good lord:

She would say, "I'm not fat!  I'm curvy!"

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 11:14:15 pm »
She would say, "I'm not fat!  I'm curvy!"
Reminds me of a greeting card I saw:  I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 11:27:50 pm »
You know, I think someone is being colossally heavy-handed here. Her observations are grossly exaggerated, perhaps indicative of a hugely inflated sense of self. So, the mere recognition of another person's state of corpulence or obesity is acceptably conflated as an act of "bigotry and discrimination"?

Fat chance.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

geronl

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 11:30:59 pm »
Reminds me of a greeting card I saw:  I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Over-healthy

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 11:31:38 pm »
Unattractive women:
"The Man is disrespecting us by not treating us like attractive women!"

Attractive women:
"The Man is disrespecting us by treating us like attractive women!"

'Murica.
(ducking) wimmen!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 11:32:56 pm »
Good lord:

See who is on the back cover? "Nuff said.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 11:34:25 pm »
You know, I think someone is being colossally heavy-handed here. Her observations are grossly exaggerated, perhaps indicative of a hugely inflated sense of self. So, the mere recognition of another person's state of corpulence or obesity is acceptably conflated as an act of "bigotry and discrimination"?

Fat chance.
Chance is the one place where the difference between "fat" and "slim" is meaningless.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:34:46 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Bill Cipher

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 11:36:50 pm »
Whatever it takes to get published. 

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 11:57:38 pm »
I'm not fat

I'm just short for my weight.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Charlespg

Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton