Author Topic: Brad Torgersen on H. P. Lovecraft's cultural Marxist critics  (Read 723 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Brad Torgersen
Facebook
May 11, 2016

I am not a Lovecraft devotee, since horror is not really my niche. I've been tangentially aware of the surge in Lovecraft-bashing, ever since World Fantasy Convention caved in on their trophy squabble. Now that the man's literary works are falling into the public domain, it seems there are a heap of people who want to re-do, un-do, re-work, or otherwise "colonize" the man's fiction legacy.

Ah, cultural Marxism: same as it ever was.

Here's the rub, though. Seeing people who are literally babies in the field, already planting their flags as "historic" persons, come to overturn the smelly old H.P. and his badthinky stuffs and things . . . this is what happens when you tell kids they are priceless, peerless, astoundingly perfect snowflakes—from the cradle on up. They don't realize they actually have to *DO* things, and do them extraordinarily well, and do this for DECADES, before they even have a glimmer of a ghost of a chance of making a mark large enough that their work will survive beyond their lifetimes.

Lovecraft—for all his faults, as a human being—has already become immortal. He is the Grand Canyon of horror. Only Edgar Allan Poe—the Olympus Mons of the macabre—casts a longer shadow.

Most of Lovecraft's determined detractors . . . are not even scratches in the dirt yet. They are not even molehills. They are urinating on the statue of a giant, believing that somehow part of that giant's power will be transferred to them.

This is not a defense of anything H.P. thought or said, as a man. Though, doubtless, the cultural Marxists will interpret all criticism of their rhetoric and tactics, as a defense. That's just how cultural Marxists roll: everything and everyone who is not them, is either maliciously evil, or unforgivably ignorant.

When one particular Lovecraft critic remarked, "The history books are ours, dammit," I just kind of shook my head, and thought of Nikita Khrushchev declaring, "Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will dig you in."

Be careful what you proudly predict, cultural Marxists.

You just might get it—in ways you least expect!—

Link
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:23:49 pm by Machiavelli »