Author Topic: Cruz floats restarting campaign if he wins Nebraska primary  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/279354-cruz-floats-restarting-campaign-if-he-wins-nebraska

Ted Cruz on Tuesday floated the possibility of restarting his presidential campaign if he wins Nebraska’s GOP primary, as he avoided saying whether he supports Donald Trump's bid for president.

Cruz, who ended his White House run last week, said he does not expect to win Nebraska's primary Tuesday night, but he’s leaving the door open.

"We launched this campaign intending to win. The reason we suspended our campaign was that with the Indiana loss, I felt there was no path to victory," he said Tuesday on Glenn Beck's radio program.

"If that changes, we will certainly respond accordingly."

(Excerpt)
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Cruz floats restarting campaign if he wins Nebraska primary
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 04:40:29 pm »
Well, we haven't had the convention yet. Trump is back-tracking, repositioning himself, speaking in his usual bombastic incoherent style and could implode.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Cruz floats restarting campaign if he wins Nebraska primary
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 05:14:03 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/279354-cruz-floats-restarting-campaign-if-he-wins-nebraska

May 10, 2016, 11:51 am

By Ben Kamisar

Getty Images
Ted Cruz floated the possibility of restarting his presidential campaign if he wins Nebraska’s GOP primary on Tuesday and avoided saying whether he supports Donald Trump's bid for president.

Cruz, who suspended his White House run last week, said he does not expect to win Nebraska's primary but is leaving the door open.

"We launched this campaign intending to win. The reason we suspended our campaign was that with the Indiana loss, I felt there was no path to victory," he said Tuesday on conservative host Glenn Beck's radio program.

Cruz demurred on supporting Trump, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, because the Republican National Convention and general election are still months away.

"This is a choice every voter is going to have to make. I would note, it's not a choice we as voters have to make today," Cruz said when asked about supporting Trump.

He also brushed aside the prospects of a convention fight or third-party presidential bid.

Cruz and allies told supporters Monday night call that they would not try to block Trump’s nomination but instead focus on influencing the party’s platform and rules, according to Politico.

Cruz joins a number of prominent Republicans who have said they are not yet supporting Trump for president.

Presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush, and former GOP presidential nominees Mitt Romney and John McCain have all decided not to attend the party's convention in July, an apparent rebuke of Trump.

And House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said last week he was not ready to endorse Trump, adding he needed assurances that Trump would champion conservative ideas.

Cruz dropped out of the presidential race last week after losing big in Indiana's primary. John Kasich dropped out a day later, clearing the way for Trump to become the presumptive nominee.
Cruz had hoped a win in Indiana could give him momentum into Tuesday's Nebraska contest, but Trump emerged from the Hoosier State as the only candidate with a viable path forward.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline HootOwl

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 05:19:38 pm »
 :beer: Makes sense to me.  Cruz only suspended his campaign he didn't withdraw from the race.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 05:24:55 pm »

Ted Cruz on Tuesday floated the possibility of restarting his presidential campaign if he wins Nebraska’s GOP primary, as he avoided saying whether he supports Donald Trump's bid for president.

Cruz, who ended his White House run last week, said he does not expect to win Nebraska's primary Tuesday night, but he’s leaving the door open.

"We launched this campaign intending to win. The reason we suspended our campaign was that with the Indiana loss, I felt there was no path to victory," he said Tuesday on Glenn Beck's radio program.

(Excerpt)

I sam sure I am not the only one noticing The Orange one's hard left turn after last Tuesday am I?   What the heck, let's just print some more money.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 05:47:45 pm »
I sam sure I am not the only one noticing The Orange one's hard left turn after last Tuesday am I?   What the heck, let's just print some more money.

The Cruz camp repeatedly warned about this.  And now, no one wants to be Donald's VP.

Maybe Donald picks Christie.  Perry had a lot of moxy to say he was available to be VP after calling Donald a 'Cancer' on the party.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 05:53:55 pm »

May 10, 2016, 11:51 am

I never understood why he suspended in the first place. Until the big-government statist presumptive narcissist-in-chief got to 1237 he should have kept hammering him. I say go for it.  :beer:
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 06:01:11 pm »

I never understood why he suspended in the first place. Until the big-government statist presumptive narcissist-in-chief got to 1237 he should have kept hammering him. I say go for it.  :beer:

Maybe voters looking over the cliff into the abyss that is the Trump candidacy will rally around Cruz. I wouldn't bet on it though. Once a guy stops running it's pretty unlikely people will rally around him again in that campaign.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 06:01:44 pm »
Cruz dropped out of the race because there was no path to victory.  That hasn't changed and his chances of winning Nebraska are slim to none.  Trump is the presumptive nominee and is expected to have well over the 1237 delegates needed which means that there will be no contested convention. Delegates that are bound to Trump  are required to vote for him on the first ballot.  Trump will win.

Unless some very extraordinary circumstance takes place, Trump will be the GOP nominee and unless some very extraordinary circumstance takes place, Hillary will be the DEM nominee. I find it bewildering that the media keeps dangling this carrot that someone other than Trump has the chance to be the nominee.  There is no one left.  Trump will be our nominee.  Let's move forward.

Yes Trump is already leaning to the left and IMHO will continue to do so.  I tried to warn others that Trump was merely a siphon for the DEMS and was put in place to prevent a conservative getting the GOP nomination, to further divide the party and to hand Hillary the White House and that's exactly what is happening. 

#Never Trump.  Don't blame me, I'm a Cruz supporter.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:02:45 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 06:02:20 pm »

Maybe his donors pulled the money.  Maybe the establishment told him to stop wasting their money and to wait until the convention to try to be the spoiler. 

:shrug:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 06:03:01 pm »

I never understood why he suspended in the first place. Until the big-government statist presumptive narcissist-in-chief got to 1237 he should have kept hammering him. I say go for it:beer:
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 06:09:07 pm »
Wishy-washy.  Still, better than Trump.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 06:13:05 pm »
I never understood why he suspended in the first place. Until the big-government statist presumptive narcissist-in-chief got to 1237 he should have kept hammering him. I say go for it:beer:

Cruz himself stated that he saw no further path to victory.  He was mathematically shut out after losing Indiana.  That loss meant that Trump was unstoppable from getting the 1237.  Trump IS THE PRESUMPTIVE NOMINEE.  There is no changing that...other than something catastrophic happening to Trump or Trump drops out, which is not going to happen, Trump IS OUR NOMINEE.

Again, there isn't going to be a contested convention as Trump has the majority - his delegates are bound to vote for him. He will win the first round of balloting.

I'm trying to really understand, why people still think Trump won't be our nominee.  I don't think he'll be our next President, but he will be our nominee. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 06:18:41 pm »
I'm trying to really understand, why people still think Trump won't be our nominee.  I don't think he'll be our next President, but he will be our nominee.

Partly because Cruz himself is giving life to this idea.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ArneFufkin

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 06:21:51 pm »
Cruz dropped out of the race because there was no path to victory.  That hasn't changed and his chances of winning Nebraska are slim to none.  Trump is the presumptive nominee and is expected to have well over the 1237 delegates needed which means that there will be no contested convention. Delegates that are bound to Trump  are required to vote for him on the first ballot.  Trump will win.

Unless some very extraordinary circumstance takes place, Trump will be the GOP nominee and unless some very extraordinary circumstance takes place, Hillary will be the DEM nominee. I find it bewildering that the media keeps dangling this carrot that someone other than Trump has the chance to be the nominee.  There is no one left.  Trump will be our nominee.  Let's move forward.

Yes Trump is already leaning to the left and IMHO will continue to do so.  I tried to warn others that Trump was merely a siphon for the DEMS and was put in place to prevent a conservative getting the GOP nomination, to further divide the party and to hand Hillary the White House and that's exactly what is happening. 

#Never Trump.  Don't blame me, I'm a Cruz supporter.

This would cause unprecedented chaos but the Convention Rules committee could rule that all "bound" delegates are free to vote their conscience on the first ballot.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 06:28:55 pm »
This would cause unprecedented chaos but the Convention Rules committee could rule that all "bound" delegates are free to vote their conscience on the first ballot.

Perhaps I misunderstood.  I was under the impression that current RNC rules were applicable until after the first round of voting.  I could be wrong.  Secondly, I'm not so much worried about chaos at the Convention, but worried about the backlash in our everyday world should they decide to change the rules and Trump not get the nomination.

I am a huge, loyal Cruz supporter and I will continue to support him.  However, and even Cruz stated as much, the voters have selected Trump.  The people have spoken period.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 06:33:07 pm »
Partly because Cruz himself is giving life to this idea.

Those in the media are pressing him.  He again has stated; “The reason we suspended the race last week was that with Indiana’s loss I didn’t see a viable path to victory. If that changes we will certainly respond accordingly.”

Asked if he believes he can support Trump, Cruz said voters should not rush to make a decision.

“This is a choice every voter is going to have to make and I would note it’s not a choice we as the voters have to make today,” he said.

Even IF he were to win Nebraska, which isn't going to happen, he still mathematically would not have the 1237 and has no chance at obtaining that number. 

Offline HootOwl

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 09:45:24 pm »
For those that heard Cruz' complete answer to the question--he also said he probably would not win Nebraska.  He opened saying Trump was the presumptive nominee, and ended saying  that If he saw a clear path to victory, of course he would take it.  This is being stretched way out of hand.  If you listened to Cain last nite, you would have thought Cruz and put his boxing gloves back on " to muddy the waters of Trump's bringing the party together".  Cain himself was very hostile to Cruz and his fans--If anyone was stirring up the waters it was he(Cain).  I'm glad he was never the nominee--- He is mean.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 09:47:53 pm »
Why is this still an issue??  Cruz is back in the Senate.  He has already announced that he plans on running for re-election of the SENATE in 2018.  Good grief.