Author Topic: Okay, #NeverTrump, Enough Already  (Read 33812 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Okay, #NeverTrump, Enough Already
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:26:37 pm »
American Thinker; Jack Cashill, May 10, 2016

To be clear, I donated to the Cruz campaign, advised the campaign, and voted for Ted Cruz in the Missouri primary. That said, I never criticized Donald Trump in public. My reasoning was simple enough: I planned to vote for him if he won the nomination. Having written a few books about the Clintons, I knew the alternative much too well.

With Indiana, the die was cast. For a moment, I was relieved. It meant that my friends -- some real, more virtual -- would no longer crowd my Facebook page with virulent anti-Cruz messages. The relief did not last long. Even before all the Indiana votes were fully counted, many of my Facebook friends -- some Cruz supporters, some not -- were now posting virulent anti-Trump messages.

A day or two of this defiance I could understand. I respect principled dissent, but Sunday proved to be something of a watershed. I realized that people who would rather post nasty memes about Trump than sweet reminisces about their moms were not sane enough for Jack World. I started “unfollowing” them.

Many of these posts came with the disclaimer that if Hillary won the presidency, it would not be the fault of the NeverTrump dissenters, but of the presumed idiots who voted for Trump in the first place.

Nonsense. It is as if a conscientious objector announced his principled resistance to a particular war and then continued to boast about his principles once or more a day until the enemy prevailed. That resister could say he did help the enemy win, but no one would believe him.

To be sure, if Trump had not won, many of his supporters would have loudly proclaimed their refusal to support the candidate that did. They would have blamed a Republican establishment that denied their man his due. And they would have had a point. The NeverTrump people, however, can only blame the Trump people.

To call Trump a racist is to call his supporters racist. The irony, of course, is that Trump has not even talked about race. For the record, “Muslim” is no more a race than “Catholic”, and “Mexican” is no more a race than “American.” His supporters see through this overworked left-wing sophistry.

The charge that Trump is a liberal does not change hearts or minds either. In 2008, the Republican establishment warmly embraced John McCain. Just four years prior, McCain openly flirted with the idea of serving as John Kerry’s running mate in his attempt to unseat George W. Bush.

In the faint praise department, Trump is as reliably conservative as McCain. The Second Amendment, the pro-life cause, and our national borders will have more of a future under Trump than they would have under McCain and inarguably more than under Hillary.

The accusation that Trump is brash, rude, and vulgar might carry some weight if establishment Republicans weren’t so spectacularly docile. It is their docility that makes Trump’s brashness and belligerence stand out more. Had they a little more moxie, Trump would still be firing apprentices on national TV.

And to believe there would be no difference between a Trump presidency and a Clinton one is to have ignored the last quarter-century of American history. With the possible exception of Aaron Burr and her own husband, Hillary Clinton has no peer in the annals of political brigandry.

Say what one will, but Trump won fair and square. To insult Trump is to insult his voters. The problem is that there are a lot of these voters, and they have the potential to expand -- or contract -- the Republican base.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/05/okay_nevertrump_enough_already.html#ixzz48GNVloLM

Offline sinkspur

Re: Okay, #NeverTrump, Enough Already
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 02:30:16 pm »
To insult Trump is to insult his voters

That's pretty much the way I see it.  Now we're getting down to the nub of why we got stuck with this clown.

And I will continue to insult Trump.

#NeverTrump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 02:33:41 pm »
 goopo :hands:
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:37:24 pm »

That's pretty much the way I see it.  Now we're getting down to the nub of why we got stuck with this clown.

#NeverTrump.

I think if the Trump cult could convince us they're aren't just an angry mob..maybe actually show some disapproval for some of the more outrageous things he does that definately are NOT Presidential...we'd feel a lot better.

But we can't even get the Trump cult to even tell us where he stands on Constitutional issues and critical policy issues.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:41:32 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 02:44:48 pm »

Howabout NO?

Now that I have been disenfranchised, my only participation in the event is throwing poo from the sidelines.

He does not deserve the Conservative, nor the Christian mantle... and as long as he is thus portrayed, my jeering will continue.

Wingnut

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 02:45:40 pm »
Sounds like the Trump supporters have a lot in common with Liberal College Snowflakes.  Oh the Horror. 
At every Trump rally they will have safe rooms.  Stratigically placed Orange Trump phones to "Call For Muscle" if micro-aggression presents itself.

Offline Relic

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 02:48:12 pm »

#NeverTrump.

Well, you are following the pattern of how the left does things. You're relying on emotion, and employing little thought.

I would have voted for whatever nominee, but I'll admit, I'd have had serious issues with Jeb Bush.

Anyone but Hillary.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 02:51:22 pm »

:thumbsup:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 02:51:44 pm »
I think if the Trump cult could convince us they're aren't just an angry mob..maybe actually show some disapproval for some of the more outrageous things he does that definately are NOT Presidential...we'd feel a lot better.

But we can't even get the Trump cult to even tell us where he stands on Constitutional issues and critical policy issues.
"The wall!"

Even though I'm in agreement that some kind of physical barrier needs to be erected, it's not the only thing I'm looking for in a candidate.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Relic

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 02:56:53 pm »
When the process began, I would have voted for any of the candidates, including Trump.  Couldn't really have imagined that things would change to the point where I couldn't, but they did.  But then, I couldn't have ever imagined that anyone would run the kind of campaign Trump ran.

It's probably a bridge too far for me at this point.

I can sympathize, to a point. I never liked Trump. I'm still suspicious of his motives. But, even keeping that in mind, I can't imagine Trump would be worse than Hillary Clinton. With Trump, there will be much more opposition to his agenda, and he's an unknown quantity. A narcissistic, obnoxious, unknown quantity.

Hillary is a known quantity. A lying, manipulative, power hungry Marxist.

I have to go with Trump.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 02:57:06 pm »

The charge that Trump is a liberal does not change hearts or minds either. In 2008, the Republican establishment warmly embraced John McCain. Just four years prior, McCain openly flirted with the idea of serving as John Kerry’s running mate in his attempt to unseat George W. Bush.

McCain was at least savvy enough to know he had to shore up his right with Palin.

Trump is counting on the limp noodle politicos to come to him, hat in hand, and integrity down the toilet.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 02:57:25 pm »
...and the daily barrage of "Please validate my stupid choice" continues from team Trump.

When will you get it? Just because you love the taste of turd sandwiches doesn't mean we're ever going to eat one.

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 03:01:37 pm »
#NeverTrump

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 03:03:11 pm »
To insult Trump is to insult his voters.

Many of the Trump voters are like their candidate in that they are easily insulted.

It's a bit of a mystery to me as to why, possibly its because many are so pissed off its just easier to take everything as a personal insult :shrug:

I'm NeverTrump and could care less what other's opinion of that stance is. I certainly can't muster up any righteous indignation at those who disagree with my position. I will never be persuaded by their arguments no matter how many times they repeat them, however I do get a chuckle when one of my posts rankles a Trump supporter and they feel compelled respond with an insult.....

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 03:05:08 pm »

Exactly! 

If Hillary were to get indicted (which she should) or Bernie wins a few more states (not counting the stupid "Super Delegates" which would throw the Dem convention into Kaos), and Trump's migration to the left, it would be easy (relatively) for an alternative ti rise from nowhere and take the election.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Relic

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 03:05:23 pm »
As I said, I can respect that choice.  Depending on what happens during the campaign, I may end up voting for him myself.  Or not.

What I really worry about with Trump is a long-term destruction of the Republican brand which, flawed though it is, is still the only organized resistance to the Democrats.  I am also concerned that ratification of the type of campaign he ran will poison future primaries if he succeeds.  So I have to weigh those concerns in the same hopper with how each of them would govern.

It is not an easy choice.

My best friend is a moderate, left of center voter. He said he used to vote Republican after Democrats had a run and screwed up the economy. Now, he is reluctant to vote Republican because he has no idea what the stand for.

If you compare the GOP's actions to it's rhetoric, the only thing I'm sure they stand for is their own jobs, and more government.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 03:09:07 pm »
I will never be persuaded by their arguments no matter how many times they repeat them [...]

Because all they've got is 'he's better than Hillary' - Which really isn't an argument at all.

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 03:10:51 pm »
To insult Trump is to insult his voters.

Many of the Trump voters are like their candidate in that they are easily insulted.

It's a bit of a mystery to me as to why, possibly its because many are so pissed off its just easier to take everything as a personal insult :shrug:

I'm NeverTrump and could care less what other's opinion of that stance is. I certainly can't muster up any righteous indignation at those who disagree with my position. I will never be persuaded by their arguments no matter how many times they repeat them, however I do get a chuckle when one of my posts rankles a Trump supporter and they feel compelled respond with an insult.....

Trump, by his vulgar nature appeals to the baser human instincts of his supporters.  Since Trump has no self control, no moral compass, he is leading by example.   

Offline Relic

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 03:13:55 pm »
In fairness, you have a lot of anti-Trumpers, even here, who toss ad hominem insults at Trump supporters.  It's kind of depressing, actually, because I was hoping not to see that here.  You will never convince anyone of anything by insulting them.  Pride alone will make them dig in their heels.

Some of anti-Trump crowd hates Trump so viscerally that they feel justified in whatever approach they take. And they see a like response as being unreasoned, and unfair.

Just as another poster said, insults of Trump are meant for his supporters as well, and the insults won't stop.

To what end? What purpose does that serve, beyond trying to salve an irrational, emotional wound?

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 03:14:35 pm »
We only have the major choices of Trump and Hillary, because the UniParty has no principles.  They don't stand for anything anymore leaving just the worst of too evils to choose from.  There ARE other choices, but because the Media refuses to cover them, they are not well known as the looney pop icons.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Relic

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 03:17:12 pm »
Because all they've got is 'he's better than Hillary' - Which really isn't an argument at all.

No one can even guarantee that he's better. But, at least with Trump, there's a chance. With Hillary there is no chance. And, in spite of all the analysis and bluster, that's what a campaign comes down to, which candidate you THINK is better.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 03:17:26 pm »
but Sunday proved to be something of a watershed. I realized that people who would rather post nasty memes about Trump than sweet reminisces about their moms were not sane enough for Jack World. I started “unfollowing” them.

Know what I found out on Sunday Jack? I found out Trump was a Leftist and didn't want to have anything to do with Conservatives. Said so one the morning shows. You can do what you want but voting for a Progressive dope just because he has an R after his name is why the country is circling the drain.

Screw you and screw Trump. May you both go down in flames.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 03:23:34 pm »
Well, you are following the pattern of how the left does things. You're relying on emotion, and employing little thought.

I would have voted for whatever nominee, but I'll admit, I'd have had serious issues with Jeb Bush.

Anyone but Hillary.

Trump is unfit for the presidency.  And unstable emotionally.

Can't vote for him. Ever.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 03:24:57 pm »
... Stratigically placed Orange Trump phones to "Call For Muscle" if micro-aggression presents itself.

Geez! Haven't we talked about his "hand size" enough?  :whistle:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 03:27:06 pm »
Some of anti-Trump crowd hates Trump so viscerally that they feel justified in whatever approach they take. And they see a like response as being unreasoned, and unfair.

Just as another poster said, insults of Trump are meant for his supporters as well, and the insults won't stop.

To what end? What purpose does that serve, beyond trying to salve an irrational, emotional wound?

When Trump stops his insults, we'll stop ours.  I have no doubt he'll never stop.

Not an emotional wound.  Every single day Trump presents an opportunity to ratify why I'm #NeverTrump.