Author Topic: DOJ sues N.C. for "legislating identity" with bathroom bill  (Read 1352 times)

Offline BuckeyeTexan

DOJ sues N.C. for "legislating identity" with bathroom bill
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/justice-department-sues-north-carolina-bathroom-law/

The U.S. Justice Department filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against North Carolina over its law restricting the use of public restrooms by transgender people, just hours after the state sued the government over trhe same issue.

The Justice Department lawsuit seeks a court order declaring that the law's provisions that apply to multiple-occupancy bathrooms or changing facilities "discriminate on the basis of sex."

In a press conference, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said her office believes the law is "impermissibly discriminatory." Additionally, she pointed out that even before the issue hits the courts, the feds have full discretion over what to do with billions in federal funds owed North Carolina's Department of Safety as well as the state's university system.

Lynch gave what amounted to an impassioned plea to her "home state," saying changing the law was the only right thing to do.

"This is about a great deal more than bathrooms," Lynch said. "This about the dignity and respect we afford our citizens."

The attorney general slammed what she described as the state's attempt to get into the business of "legislating identity." She said that state leaders have taken "a problem that does not exist" as basis for discrimination.

"It inflicts further indignity on a population that has already suffered its fair share," Lynch said.

(Excerpted)
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline BuckeyeTexan

Re: DOJ sues N.C. for "legislating identity" with bathroom bill
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 09:27:59 pm »
From the federal complaint:

Gender Identity and Its Relationship to Sex

30. Individuals are typically assigned a sex on their birth certificate solely on the

basis of the appearance of the external genitalia at birth. Additional aspects of sex (for example,

chromosomal makeup) typically are not assessed and considered at the time of birth, except in

cases of infants born with ambiguous genitalia.

31. An individual’s “sex” consists of multiple factors, which may not always be in

alignment. Among those factors are hormones, external genitalia, internal reproductive organs,

chromosomes, and gender identity, which is an individual’s internal sense of being male or

32. For individuals who have aspects of their sex that are not in alignment, the

person’s gender identity is the primary factor in terms of establishing that person’s sex. External

genitalia are, therefore, but one component of sex and not always determinative of a person’s

33. Although there is not yet one definitive explanation for what determines gender

identity, biological factors, most notably sexual differentiation in the brain, have a role in gender

identity development.

34. Transgender individuals are individuals who have a gender identity that does not

match the sex they were assigned at birth. A transgender man’s sex is male and a transgender

woman’s sex is female.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:34:07 pm by BuckeyeTexan »

Offline r9etb

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:40:16 pm »
Additionally, she pointed out that even before the issue hits the courts, the feds have full discretion over what to do with billions in federal funds owed North Carolina's Department of Safety as well as the state's university system.

One good thing about the USSC's Obamacare decision, was the ruling by the majority that the Federal Government cannot do this.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 09:43:39 pm »
Developmental biology in mammals dictates that primary sex determination is strictly chromosomal and not influenced by the environment. A male has XY chromosomes. A female has XX chromosomes. A male mammal has a penis, seminal vesicles, and prostate gland. A female mammal has a vagina, cervix, uterus, oviducts, and mammary glands.

Birth certificates and feelings have nothing to do with it.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:46:53 pm »
Long term this is a losing issue for the left IMO. People, no matter how liberal, will never accept grown men being naked in front of women and minor girls. Never.

I think a lot of people don't understand what "transgenderism" is and get it confused with transsexual. I explained to my wife the difference and it's a big one, literally (sometimes). Whereas transsexuals are medically altered, transgenders are only how you "feel". So if you feel like woman, but are dressed like a man and anatomically a male, according to the left you should be treated as a woman by society and by law.

I don't think people understand that. Neither my wife or brother understood that when I explained it to them.

The logical outcome of this is the case in Washington state: a fully grown man walks into a ladies room, in front of adult women and minors,  and gets naked. Cops are called, but cannot do anything legally since that is now a "right".

And people are expected to accept this.

Will never happen. Period.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 10:08:18 pm »
One good thing about the USSC's Obamacare decision, was the ruling by the majority that the Federal Government cannot do this.

That ruling concluded that existing federal funding may not be withdrawn based upon a state's refusal to implement a new federal program. It is fully within the federal government's power to withhold federal funding based on a state's refusal to comply with federal law.

However, I do not contend that NC is violating anyone's civil rights.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 12:32:30 am »
That ruling concluded that existing federal funding may not be withdrawn based upon a state's refusal to implement a new federal program. It is fully within the federal government's power to withhold federal funding based on a state's refusal to comply with federal law.

However, I do not contend that NC is violating anyone's civil rights.
The question being, of course, whether NC is actually "violating federal law."  As Congress has not passed such a law regarding bathrooms, the question here is arguable - I guess that's the point of the lawsuit, but essentially the DOJ is asking the court to make a new law.

But as to the other, they are threatening to withdraw money "already owed," in advance of any ruling, and I suspect NC will be able to make a legitimate argument.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:53:31 am by r9etb »

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 12:33:18 am »
Massive civil disobedience and across the board nation wide ass beating of these freaks and their liberal enablers  might be the only solution

sorry I hold the safety of woman and children sacrosanct
when the government will not protect woman and children
then the community must

Question is does America have the balls ? ****sheep****
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:01:59 am by Charlespg »
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 12:49:42 am »
Meanwhile, DOJ tries to demagogue anatomy and legislate biology.

It's the equivalent of repealing the laws of physics. That's not how it works, of course.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024