Author Topic: “Convert Or Die” Won’t Win the White House  (Read 1712 times)

Offline sinkspur

“Convert Or Die” Won’t Win the White House
« on: May 09, 2016, 04:34:58 pm »
http://theresurgent.com/convert-or-die-wont-win-the-white-house/

“Convert Or Die” Won’t Win the White House

By Erick Erickson  |  May 9, 2016, 12:25pm

Donald Trump, reflecting the secular leftist he actually is, is modeling his campaign on secularists and Islamic radicals. He has no use trying to persuade conservatives to join him. He is not trying to build a coalition through outreach. Instead, he demands we convert or die.

Since winning Indiana, Donald Trump has informed conservatives that he does not need them to win, declared that his agenda will reign supreme in the GOP; and attacked Dr. Russell Moore and evangelical Christians for refusing to support him. Instead of building bridges, he has decided he will burn them.

Donald Trump has a singular inability to unite the Republican Party behind him. He offers them nothing and rejects their long held beliefs. Having run a primary campaign supporting tax cuts, Trump now says he wants to raise taxes. Having run a primary campaign opposing minimum wage increases, Trump now wants to raise the minimum wage. Having passed himself off as pro-life, Trump now wants to water down the language.

In short, instead of embracing the values of the Republican Party, he intends to fundamentally transform it. He cannot then expect Republicans who hold to the values and policy views he is rejecting to suddenly get on board. “Convert or die” will not win the White House. It will win over Republicans skeptical of Trump. It will not win over evangelicals or conservatives or independent voters or anyone else.

Donald Trump has declared he can win the White House without conservatives. Let us let him try.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Bill Cipher

Re: “Convert Or Die” Won’t Win the White House
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 04:37:11 pm »
#NeverTrump

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 05:19:25 pm »
That's the primary problem with an egotistical, narcissistic blowhard like Trump.  He still clings to the idea he's still in "reality TV," in which he can rant and demand anything that his dark heart desires, and little mindless minions will obediently comply.

Welcome to the real world, Trump.  Enjoy your nomination... drink it in... savor it... because it will be the very last political victory of your life.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 05:24:43 pm »
That's the primary problem with an egotistical, narcissistic blowhard like Trump.  He still clings to the idea he's still in "reality TV," in which he can rant and demand anything that his dark heart desires, and little mindless minions will obediently comply.

Welcome to the real world, Trump.  Enjoy your nomination... drink it in... savor it... because it will be the very last political victory of your life.

Didn't  you forget this:   ***suicide***  ??

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 05:35:54 pm »
Didn't  you forget this:   ***suicide***  ??

Oh, most assuredly not.  "Suicide" is exactly what pluralities of GOP voters are committing by nominating that unelectable carnival barker.  He has no chance of winning the general election...none.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:39:27 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 05:38:43 pm »
Oh, most assuredly not.  "Suicide" is exactly what the plurality of GOP voters are committing by nominating that unelectable carnival barker.  He has no chance of winning the general election...none.

That is merely your opinion.  Opinions are not facts.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 05:40:21 pm »
That is merely your opinion.  Opinions are not facts.

OK...you're up to bat.  Show some survey data that refutes what I said.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 05:40:43 pm »
Oh, most assuredly not.  "Suicide" is exactly what the plurality of GOP voters did by nominating that unelectable carnival barker.  He has no chance of winning the general election.  None.

Well, bless your heart.    No worries, dear.  The majority of GOP voters are looking forward to watching Mr. Trump sworn in as President of the United States on January 20. 

Enjoy!   :laugh: 

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 05:44:12 pm »
Well, bless your heart.    No worries, dear.  The majority of GOP voters are looking forward to watching Mr. Trump sworn in as President of the United States on January 20. 

Enjoy!   

I appreciate your hopeful, childlike idealism based on wishes and fantasies, but it's time to wiggle yourself out of unicorn-and-skittle land and come to the bright light of reality.

Your carnival barker will be highly fortunate to win McCain's total of electoral votes from 2008, much less the election.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:45:12 pm by ScottinVA »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 06:07:03 pm »
OK...you're up to bat.  Show some survey data that refutes what I said.

Got better things to do with my life - then you'll come back....and I'll come back...and a whole afternoon is wasted and no one's mind is changed.

You don't think he can win - I do.  Both are our opinions, they're not facts.

I'm not here to argue.   
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 06:10:17 pm »
I appreciate your hopeful, childlike idealism based on wishes and fantasies, but it's time to wiggle yourself out of unicorn-and-skittle land and come to the bright light of reality.

Your carnival barker will be highly fortunate to win McCain's total of electoral votes from 2008, much less the election. 

If you would raise your gaze from your mirror, look beyond yourself and listen to more than your homies .... you'd better understand what is happening in this movement.  The majority of Republicans love Donald Trump . . . God-fearing patriots love Donald Trump for recognizing what elites across the board have been doing to the American people.  We will crawl through broken glass to vote him into office.  And we will succeed.

Here's a little something to remind you.  Feel free to print it and tape it to your mirror.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 07:39:12 pm »
If you would raise your gaze from your mirror, look beyond yourself and listen to more than your homies .... you'd better understand what is happening in this movement.  The majority of Republicans love Donald Trump . . . God-fearing patriots love Donald Trump for recognizing what elites across the board have been doing to the American people.  We will crawl through broken glass to vote him into office.  And we will succeed.

Here's a little something to remind you.  Feel free to print it and tape it to your mirror.

Cod?   I love Cod too.  Hate trump but as fish goes Cod is great. The best really.  I only buy the best Cod. Donald does too. As far as the holy trinity of Fish...it is Cod, Halibut and Grouper.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:20:45 am »
Got better things to do with my life - then you'll come back....and I'll come back...and a whole afternoon is wasted and no one's mind is changed.

You don't think he can win - I do.  Both are our opinions, they're not facts.

I'm not here to argue.   

Well, nor am I, but I have survey data that shows Trump will be on the losing end in November.  I asked for refutation.. which never came. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 12:42:46 am »

How do you figure?  Trump won 40% of GOP Primary voters.  10 million votes.

60% of GOP primary voters went for somebody else.  16 million votes.

Hell, Trump didn't win a majority of PRIMARY voters.  You're counting your chickens a little early.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 01:09:15 am »

even if 75% show up, he loses 40 states

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 01:14:15 am »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 04:31:32 am »

Lots of folks put lots of hope into empty suits. They're generally stupid people.

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 11:38:04 am »
I find haddock to be one of the tastier salt-water fish as well.  However, I never actually made a sign saying so.

I think if Trump was a fish he would be a Orange Roughy.  In fact the last time I saw a mouth like trumps, it had a hook in it.

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:30 am »
Well, maybe I'll vote for Trump ... just for the halibut.  **nononono*
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2016, 11:44:51 am »
Well, maybe I'll vote for Trump ... just for the halibut.  **nononono*

Just the thought of that makes want Rusty snail, hold the grunion, shaken, not stirred
With a peanut butter and jellyfish sandwich on the side -- heavy on the
mako.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:24 am »

:bigsilly:

A majority of republicans do not like Trump.  Not even a majority of the republicans who are committed enough to vote in primaries like Trump.  Real patriots, not the faux type who like to call themselves "patriots" just to win arguments, are scared of Trump, his cult of personality, and the nascent authoritarianism he represents.  And a majority of Americans find him to be disgusting and pusillanimous.

By nominating Trump the GOP will have ensured the democrats retention of the White House for at least another four years, and you are responsible for that because you voted to nominate Trump. 

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 12:58:25 pm »

On a more substantive note, whether the majority of Republicans support a candidate or not doesn't affect my opinion one way or the other.  And one of the major things that turns me off about the Trump movement is the class warfare rantings about "the elites".
From a Billionaire, no less.

Did I miss something there? Did he get kicked out of the 5 star, fly your own jet set?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis