Author Topic: Trump: U.S. can never default because it prints money  (Read 9092 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Trump: U.S. can never default because it prints money
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2016, 09:10:58 pm »
Very well could be. I know Milk and Beef are at least that. I get eggs for chicken feed so no way to compare....

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/APU0000709112?data_tool=XGtable

Offline kjam22

« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2016, 09:17:24 pm »
Very well could be. I know Milk and Beef are at least that. I get eggs for chicken feed so no way to compare....

The DJIA is almost 50% higher too.   Cars cost almost 50% more too.   Housing is more.   Rental property goes for more etc.   But if you bought some government or corporate bond at 3.5% because you couldn't tolerate risk and wanted to be as safe as possible with your investments..... yeah you just lost a lot of ground since 2008. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 09:24:15 pm by kjam22 »
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2016, 09:17:28 pm »
With respect - he could scour the world. Find the greatest geniuses in every needed field. Hire them.

Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if he didn't listen to them. And listening, well, it's not one of the things he's very good at. Especially if someone is using the word "No."  :shrug:

Very well said and so very true my brother!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline spacejunkie

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2016, 09:34:35 pm »
That LS guy is seriously mental.

LS is comparing Trump to Alexander Hamilton, LOL.

Par for the course with that guy.  He once said that Donald was greater than Moses and David.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2016, 09:40:54 pm »
The DJIA is almost 50% higher too.   Cars cost almost 50% more too.   Housing is more.   Rental property goes for more etc.   But if you bought some government or corporate bond at 3.5% because you couldn't tolerate risk and wanted to be as safe as possible with your investments..... yeah you just lost a lot of ground since 2008.
DJIA is really bothersome too...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-fed-caused-93--of-the-entire-stock-market-s-move-since-2008--analysis-194426366.html#
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline kjam22

« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2016, 10:42:27 pm »
DJIA is really bothersome too...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-fed-caused-93--of-the-entire-stock-market-s-move-since-2008--analysis-194426366.html#

LOL... yeah... in "95" DJIA was about 3500.   By 2000 it was 11,000.    And, everyone was saying it was troublesome.   Up and down since then and to day we're mid 17k.    Honestly.... I know people who have been in cash since 2002 because of "fear".    They're going to work the rest of their lives too.... they'll never retire.

You can't have EVERTHING in the market (unless you're young)  But you can't loose to inflation over a long period of time either.   

America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Online Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2016, 10:47:53 pm »
Printing money is a tax.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2016, 10:55:56 pm »
He still has supporters denying he said he wanted a 'big beautiful door' in his theoretical wall to let the deported invaders back in.

Many think he still intends to build a wall across the entire southern boarder. When, in actuality, he has transitioned to Rick Perry's line of thinking: strategic fencing where it makes sense, substantial increase in boots on the ground, advanced technology to assist Border Patrol agents.

Border Patrol doesn't even want a wall. They want a fence through which they can see advancing threats. (Like your San Diego triple fencing)

There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2016, 10:56:09 pm »
Well, yeah, in certain places. If you want to buy land in western New York, you're certainly not experiencing the boom in property values that you are in Williston, North Dakota or Silicon Valley.

The investments that are making lots of money are the ones that have high entry costs and high risks. The typical worker can't just put a few hundred bucks into his retirement fund and put it into housing. He has to put that money into an actual house.

This is another sign of what our economy is becoming—the rise of income inequality, opportunities for the upper class but very little for the working class.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:57:20 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline kjam22

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2016, 11:05:22 pm »
Well, yeah, in certain places. If you want to buy land in western New York, you're certainly not experiencing the boom in property values that you are in Williston, North Dakota or Silicon Valley.

The investments that are making lots of money are the ones that have high entry costs and high risks. The typical worker can't just put a few hundred bucks into his retirement fund and put it into housing. He has to put that money into an actual house.

This is another sign of what our economy is becoming—the rise of income inequality, opportunities for the upper class but very little for the working class.

I don't disagree.....  I will say that when I was an "average worker"....  I bought rental property, managed it myself, and made all of the repairs through out the years by myself....  and rented it for more than the payment.   I also paid off my 30 year home mortgage in 9 years.    I retired at age 53 and then became a realtor.   But,  there were things we didn't do that some of our friends did.  We spent our money on things we would have, that would appreciate in value.    Sometimes life is about choices.   

My father died in 94.  My mother has lived off capitol gains since then, and I have managed her finances since that time.   I understand a variety of investment strategies..... I've done trust and estate taxes.    But you know.... I'm 57 and I've never been on a cruise :)   I've never been to Europe :)   I've never been to Austrailia  :)    Life is about choices sometimes.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2016, 11:10:24 pm »
Printing money is a tax.

Indeed it is and a particularly hurtful tax to those who have worked all their lives, followed the rules, and managed to put a little aside for their retirement years.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Silver Pines

« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2016, 11:27:03 pm »
That LS guy is seriously mental.

Yes, and he used to be very different.  Larry Schweikart is his name; he's an author and history professor.  He's taken to such ranting online that Jonah Goldberg told him he'd lost all respect for him and to please stop tweeting him.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2016, 03:24:40 am »
Printing money is a tax.

DING DING DING !!!  WE'VE GOT A WINNER !!!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2016, 03:34:29 am »
The problem with printing money is that you can't also print the wealth to back it up.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

• Technical
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2016, 09:09:38 am »
The problem with printing money is that you can't also print the wealth to back it up.

:thumbsup:

Money is just pieces of paper but wealth is "things" (for the most part). Money and capitalism exist to make sure the "things" are distributed in an efficient manor.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2016, 09:24:54 am »
That's where I fall apart on economics. I can cope with wealth=things (and even things including the subset called knowledge and experience) but when it gets dissociated from things, I lose the plot (and interest, TBH!)  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline spacejunkie

« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2016, 10:54:29 am »
I had his book. Tossed it in the bin.  I remember a few years ago when Palin was in conservative's favor, he hated her guts. He'd go off about her all the time. Now that she backs a big gov lib he likes her.

Yes, and he used to be very different.  Larry Schweikart is his name; he's an author and history professor.  He's taken to such ranting online that Jonah Goldberg told him he'd lost all respect for him and to please stop tweeting him.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2016, 03:06:37 pm »
LS is comparing Trump to Alexander Hamilton, LOL.

Well, he's right in many ways.

Alexander Hamilton was YUGELY Establishment, a big-government authoritarian who nearly wanted to bring back a monarchy.  Very similar to Dishonest Donny.

On the other hand, he understood the debt better, and did a good job restructuring it...not with wild statements like Trump, but with sanity.

LS is also a big-government guy who worships government control.  I haven't read his books; I'm just going by his posts.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WAC

« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2016, 06:02:42 pm »
Many think he still intends to build a wall across the entire southern boarder. When, in actuality, he has transitioned to Rick Perry's line of thinking: strategic fencing where it makes sense, substantial increase in boots on the ground, advanced technology to assist Border Patrol agents......(/quote]

• Technical
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2016, 06:05:54 pm »
A moat might be better than a wall at this point.