Author Topic: McCain: Trump could be a 'capable leader'  (Read 206 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McCain: Trump could be a 'capable leader'
« on: May 09, 2016, 12:58:12 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/john-mccain-donald-trump-leader-222942

McCain: Trump could be a 'capable leader'

By Austin Wright

05/08/16 10:20 AM EDT

Sen. John McCain said in an interview aired Sunday he believes Donald Trump “could be a capable leader” and reiterated his stance that he will “support the nominee” of the Republican Party.

The Arizona Republican seemed more resigned than ever to the fact that that nominee will be Trump.

“You have to listen to the people that have chosen the nominee of our Republican Party,” McCain said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “I think it would be foolish to ignore them.”

But McCain, who was the 2008 GOP presidential nominee, said he still had some reservations about Trump, including the insults he hurls at political opponents.

“I have never seen a personalization of a campaign like this one, where people's integrity and character are questioned,” McCain said. “It bothers me a lot. You can violently almost disagree with someone on an issue, but to attack their character and integrity — those wounds take a long time to heal.”

Asked whether he would appear at campaign events with Trump, McCain said a lot of things would have to happen first, including Trump retracting a statement he made about U.S. prisoners of war. Last July, the real-estate mogul said McCain was “not a war hero” for the five-and-a-half years he spent as a prisoner during the Vietnam War.

“I like people who weren’t captured,” Trump said at the time.

In the interview aired Sunday, McCain said it was important to him that Trump “express his appreciation for veterans, not John McCain, but veterans who were incarcerated as prisoners of war.”

“What he said about me, John McCain, that’s fine,” the Senate Armed Services chairman said. “I don’t require any repair of that. But when he said, ‘I don’t like people who were captured,’ then there’s a body of American heroes that I’d like to see him retract that statement. Not about me, but about the others.”

McCain was also asked who he thought Trump should pick as his vice presidential candidate, and McCain said Sen. Joni Ernst, a member of the Armed Service panel, “would be tremendous.”

The Iowa Republican, McCain said, “is really remarkable.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: McCain: Trump could be a 'capable leader'
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 12:59:41 pm »
McCain is right. Odd that he's talking about the guy Trump said wasn't a real war hero because he was captured.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:36:50 pm »
Typical McCain limp noodle blather.

If these pols really wish to help Trump, they need to hold him accountable. With great vigor. Trump's incoherence would be funny if it were not so dangerous.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:51:16 pm »
I'm much less concerned about how capable a leader Trump can be, then exactly where he is trying to lead us to.

Trumps Limo is driving in the left lane with his right turn signal on.  No one knows what the hell he is going to do.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 02:41:34 pm »
Trumps Limo is driving in the left lane with his right turn signal on.  No one knows what the hell he is going to do.

Including himself!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien