Author Topic: Trump Thrives On Government "Generosity"  (Read 2858 times)

geronl

Trump Thrives On Government "Generosity"
« on: May 09, 2016, 04:55:47 am »
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/11/nation/la-na-trump-20110511

May 11, 2011|By Geraldine Baum, Tom Hamburger and Michael J. Mishak, Los Angeles Times

Donald Trump, the developer and would-be presidential candidate, portrays himself as a swashbuckling entrepreneur, shrewder and tougher than any politician, who would use his billionaire's skills to restore discipline to the federal government.

In his disdain of big government, however, Trump glances over an expensive irony: He built his empire in part through government largesse and connections.

From his first high-profile project in New York City in the 1970s to his recent campaigns to reduce taxes on property he owns around the country, Trump has displayed a consistent pattern. He courted public officials, sought their backing for government tax breaks under extraordinarily beneficial terms and fought any resistance to deals he negotiated.

Photos: Trump properties in the news

He has boasted of manipulating government agencies, misleading officials in one case into believing he had an exclusive agreement to develop a property and then retroactively changing the development's accounting practices to shrink his tax bill. In New York, Trump was the first developer to receive a public subsidy for commercial projects under programs initially reserved for improving slum neighborhoods. Such incentives have now become the norm in the powerful New York real estate community.

Karen Burstein, a former auditor general of New York City, reviewed a major Trump project in the 1980s and concluded he had "cheated" the city out of nearly $2.9 million. Decades later, Burstein said she was still appalled at the way Trump operated.

"It's extraordinary to me that we elevated someone to this position of public importance who has openly admitted that he has used government's incompetence as a wedge to increase his private fortune," she said in a recent interview.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) fought Trump over hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funding that the developer wanted for a luxury apartment complex in Nadler's district.

"He sought to abuse the taxpayer and stretch the law," Nadler said. "He said he ought to get a massive government subsidy. I said, 'Listen, Mr. Trump, if you think this is a good project, you spend the money.' "

In a phone interview last week, Trump was unapologetic about pressing for government tax breaks, noting that he had used them not only for his own profit but to spur development in foundering parts of the city.

Referring to how he managed to win a 40-year tax abatement for rebuilding a crumbling hotel at Grand Central Station — a deal that in the first decade cost taxpayers $60 million — Trump said, "Someone said, 'How come you got 40 years.' I said, 'Because I didn't ask for 50.' "

He said his success at manipulating city and state governments was itself an argument for his presidential candidacy.

Robbing the Taxpayers to Pay Trump....

Cronyism.

geronl

Re: Trump Thrives On Government "Generosity"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 05:08:11 am »
Trump: King of the Tax Breaks

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/422724/donald-trump-has-mastered-art-tax-break-jillian-kay-melchior

Donald Trump received a $163.775 million tax break on Trump Tower, his upscale midtown Manhattan building. The 68-story structure is home to several eponymous eating establishments, Ivanka Trump Fine Jewelry, and Nike’s flagship store — as well as a Gucci shop Trump boasted last month was “worth more money than Romney.” Trump has not yet released a detailed summary of what tax policies he supports. By deadline, the Trump campaign had not responded to National Review’s e-mailed questions about the tax abatement. Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks declined to comment by phone. Trump’s financial disclosure listed the building in the highest possible brackets, saying the property was valued at over $50 million and generated more than $5 million in income.

Trump is taxpayer funded

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/422724/donald-trump-has-mastered-art-tax-break-jillian-kay-melchior

geronl

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 05:09:23 am »
Of the Wall Street bailout, Trump said on CNN: "I do agree with what they're doing with the banks. Whether they fund them or nationalize them, it doesn't matter, but you have to keep the banks going."

geronl

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 05:11:18 am »
Here's just one recent example: Trump recently said he would force Apple to move its manufacturing operations to the United States. For any conservative, that should be a decision Apple's management makes. It is not for Washington to dictate such things. Private control of private business is a big part of what made America great. But Trump, who says he will make America great again, wants the feds to interfere even more than they do now. And Apple isn't the only company he believes he is entitled to control.

Whatever means Trump deploys to force private businesses to do his will, it will prove costly to taxpayers and consumers. They will be forced either to subsidize industry, pay sharply higher prices for commercial goods, or (most likely) both. All that, in exchange for (at best) a few thousand jobs, none of which will pay as well as those in the glory days of American manufacturing. In practice, though, Trump probably cold not force even a single job to return to the U.S.; his promise was just good campaign fodder.
[/size]

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 05:24:10 am »
I guess he should be called Welfare Donny.

A-Lert

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 05:29:11 am »
You sure can't accuse him of being stupid.

He said his success at manipulating city and state governments was itself an argument for his presidential candidacy.

"When I work for myself, I try to make the maximum profit," he said. "If I run (for president) and if I win, I will no longer care about myself. I'll be doing the same kind of things for this country."

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article24631300.html#storylink=cpy

Offline elhombrelibre

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:34:50 am »

It's interesting that Trump supporters are constantly having to tell people that Trump isn't stupid.  Why is this?  It seems to me that must do this because it's not obvious that he is not stupid.  His remarks, nearly always baseless and low blows, are presented in a dumbed down fashion.  His writing is repetitive and merely bland, empty-headed clichés.  Naturally, normal minds find him of low intellect.  So his supporters reassure us that he isn't stupid.  Well, not being stupid sure doesn't mean he is smart.  It doesn't mean he's decent to others.  He demeans military personnel with his comments about POWs (losers in Trump's worldview).  He insults the families of his political opposition.  He's not content to merely use his lowbrow, school yard taunts against the others politicians seeking office.  He must insult the looks and size and families too.   Now, we're told he's to be rallied around. 

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/279173-veterans-release-statement-calling-on-trump-to-show-respect[url]]http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/279173-veterans-release-statement-calling-on-trump-to-show-respecthttp://

A-Lert

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 08:20:44 am »
It's interesting that Trump supporters are constantly having to tell people that Trump isn't stupid.  Why is this?  It seems to me that must do this because it's not obvious that he is not stupid.  His remarks, nearly always baseless and low blows, are presented in a dumbed down fashion.  His writing is repetitive and merely bland, empty-headed clichés.  Naturally, normal minds find him of low intellect.  So his supporters reassure us that he isn't stupid.  Well, not being stupid sure doesn't mean he is smart.  It doesn't mean he's decent to others.  He demeans military personnel with his comments about POWs (losers in Trump's worldview).  He insults the families of his political opposition.  He's not content to merely use his lowbrow, school yard taunts against the others politicians seeking office.  He must insult the looks and size and families too.   Now, we're told he's to be rallied around. 

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/279173-veterans-release-statement-calling-on-trump-to-show-respect[url=http://]]]http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/279173-veterans-release-statement-calling-on-trump-to-show-respecthttp://

Constantly having to tell people Trump isn't stupid? Can you provide evidence of that here? Seems anti/neverTrumps are awfully careless with the truth.

The statement signed by veterans, including Democratic Reps. Ruben Gallego and Seth Moulton,

Democrats? Why would democrats do that when  we have been told by the anti-Trumps that Trump is one of them?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 08:34:55 am »
Constantly having to tell people Trump isn't stupid? Can you provide evidence of that here? Seems anti/neverTrumps are awfully careless with the truth.

The statement signed by veterans, including Democratic Reps. Ruben Gallego and Seth Moulton,

Democrats? Why would democrats do that when  we have been told by the anti-Trumps that Trump is one of them?

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

A-Lert

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 08:53:13 am »

You poor child.  Do you need a hug? :silly:

Offline Mod1

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 10:21:07 am »
No more troll references, please, txradioguy.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 11:05:14 am »
No more troll references, please, txradioguy.

So what about the people here displaying trollish behavior?

Thread jacking and taking topics far afield just to interject Trump and/or Trump talking points into a conversation?

I'd just like to know so I know what my left and right limits of response are.

Thanks.

ETA: The reason a lot of us came here was to get away from the 24/7 Trump propaganda at FR...not to constantly have our noses rubbed in it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:07:42 am by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 11:25:51 am »

Thread jacking and taking topics far afield just to interject Trump and/or Trump talking points into a conversation?

Thanks.

ETA: The reason a lot of us came here was to get away from the 24/7 Trump propaganda at FR...not to constantly have our noses rubbed in it.
If the topic  of the thread is Trump, it isn't threadjacking to interject Trump "talking points" or to express support for him.  The difference between the Briefing Room and places like FR is that posters are welcome to disagree and debate here - just stick to the topic and please do it civilly, without namecalling.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 12:25:23 pm »

So I take it you with Trump being a crony capitalist. Crony capitalism is not a conservative value
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 12:52:49 pm »

Thanks.

If you came over here believing this to be an anti-Trump site, you made a mistake.  You were welcomed here as is everyone else to participate in a political debate forum.  Debate necessarily requires different opinions.  If you look around, you will find at least 90% of the posts do represent anti-Trump posters.  Please keep the mods at rest and keep it civil.  Thx.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 02:15:35 pm »
If you came over here believing this to be an anti-Trump site, you made a mistake.  You were welcomed here as is everyone else to participate in a political debate forum.  Debate necessarily requires different opinions.

No where in what I said did I say I wanted some kind of monolithic group think. 

I'd have stayed at FR if that was the case. 

Nor did I come here thinking it was an anti-Trump site.

If you look around, you will find at least 90% of the posts do represent anti-Trump posters.

Hard to tell because I seem to have a Trump ankle biter following me and posting Trump propaganda in every thread I post in.

Please keep the mods at rest and keep it civil.  Thx.

As I do at any place I post...I keep it as civil and as intelligent as I get coming my way.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 02:43:39 pm »

"When I work for myself, I try to make the maximum profit," he said. "If I run (for president) and if I win, I will no longer care about myself. I'll be doing the same kind of things for this country."

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article24631300.html#storylink=cpy

George Soros is a lot smarter than Donald Trump.

And the average ghetto queen can work the system just as well as Trump.

Besides, how can you believe anything Trump says anyway?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 02:55:05 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 02:56:40 pm »

Trump's behavior is so egregious that even Democrat veterans have to speak out?
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 07:14:12 pm »

As I do at any place I post...I keep it as civil and as intelligent as I get coming my way.

There are no restrictions on the number of posts one can make or on what topic. If you find a poster that irritates you, use the ignore feature if you don't possess the self-control to do it yourself.

A-Lert

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 07:19:39 pm »
George Soros is a lot smarter than Donald Trump.

And the average ghetto queen can work the system just as well as Trump.

Besides, how can you believe anything Trump says anyway?

On what do you base your claim? IQ test results?

Then the average ghetto queen should be at least a millionaire.

Faith, the same I've put into the GOP for over two decades of disappointment. At least Trump acts like he really wants to win.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 07:26:27 pm »
On what do you base your claim? IQ test results?

Then the average ghetto queen should be at least a millionaire.

Faith, the same I've put into the GOP for over two decades of disappointment. At least Trump acts like he really wants to win.

George knows far more about economics and markets than Trump ever will, yet I still don't want him President.

The average ghetto queen doesn't start with millions of daddy's money either.

And I go on facts, not faith for my politics, I don't indulge in cult of personality.

:boring: :yawn2: :huh?: :facepalm2: :wtf!: 8detect8 :mauslaff: 88finger point :rolling:
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 08:50:25 pm »
George knows far more about economics and markets than Trump ever will, yet I still don't want him President.

The average ghetto queen doesn't start with millions of daddy's money either.

And I go on facts, not faith for my politics, I don't indulge in cult of personality.

George? Your personal friend? Is he even a US citizen?

Well Trump turned millions into billions and actually employs 22,000 people. Your ghetto queens should at least run a small business or work  and be off of welfare.

You go on facts? So tell me about the successes of the GOP in recent decades. How we managed to rack up a #19 trillion dollar debt. That's a real sign of financial responsibility, isn't it?  :facepalm2:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:51:06 pm by A-Lert »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 06:04:52 am »
George? Your personal friend? Is he even a US citizen?

Or Bill Gates, Tom Steyr, Warren Buffett. Even the Koch Brothers. All more eminently qualified to be President than Trump under your rules. And yes, Soros knows far more than Trump about finance and economics.

Well Trump turned millions into billions and actually employs 22,000 people. Your ghetto queens should at least run a small business or work  and be off of welfare.

Which is worse - welfare ghetto queen, or crony capitalist corporate welfare king?

You go on facts? So tell me about the successes of the GOP in recent decades. How we managed to rack up a #19 trillion dollar debt. That's a real sign of financial responsibility, isn't it?  :facepalm2:

I didn't realize we have all Republican congresses for the last 50 years. Funny while you're spewing at all Republicans as if they were all GOPe, the states led by Republicans have been doing all sorts of wonderful things, all without the help of Donny Trump.
The Republic is lost.

A-Lert

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 08:17:46 am »

Bill Gates, Tom Steyr, Warren Buffett. Even the Koch Brothers. All more eminently qualified to be President than Trump under your rules. And yes, Soros knows far more than Trump about finance and economics.

My rules? Really? LOL!  So is Soros even a US citiizen?

Which is worse - welfare ghetto queen, or crony capitalist corporate welfare king?

That you even pose such a ridiculous question is truly sad.

I didn't realize we have all Republican congresses for the last 50 years. Funny while you're spewing at all Republicans as if they were all GOPe, the states led by Republicans have been doing all sorts of wonderful things, all without the help of Donny Trump.

Recent decades, not a half century.  I'm not talking states. I'm talking US Congress. The one that gave us Obamacare. The one that's handed Obama all the money he asked for.  http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Debt per taxpayer $160,983.00