Author Topic: Donald Trump Won’t Rule Out Effort to Remove Paul Ryan as Convention Chairman  (Read 935 times)

Offline sinkspur

Donald Trump Won’t Rule Out Effort to Remove Paul Ryan as Convention Chairman

NYT, Alexander Burns , May 8, 2016

Updated, 9:56 a.m. | Donald J. Trump said he would not rule out an effort to remove Representative Paul D. Ryan as chairman of the Republican National Convention if he did not endorse Mr. Trump’s candidacy.

Mr. Trump stopped short of calling for Mr. Ryan, the speaker of the House, to step down from his convention role. But in an interview that aired Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Mr. Trump said there could be consequences in the event that Mr. Ryan continued withholding his support.

“I will give you a very solid answer, if that happens, about one minute after that happens, O.K.?” Mr. Trump said. “There’s no reason to give it right now, but I’ll be very quick with the answer.”

Mr. Trump has shown little interest over the last few days in placating his critics inside the party, including Mr. Ryan. Mr. Ryan, a representative from Wisconsin, said on Thursday that he was not ready to endorse Mr. Trump, citing reservations about his political style and policy agenda. The two men are scheduled to meet privately in Washington next week.

But on “Meet the Press,” Mr. Trump struck a dismissive tone toward Mr. Ryan and responded with outright hostility to other Republican critics who have refused to back his campaign.

Jeb Bush, he said, was “not honorable” for breaking his promise to endorse the party’s nominee. Mitt Romney, he said, was “ungrateful” for the help Mr. Trump gave him in the 2012 election. Mr. Trump referred to Lindsey Graham, the South Carolina senator who said Friday he would never vote for Mr. Trump, as “this lightweight.”

Of Mr. Ryan, he said: “I’d like to have his support. But if he doesn’t want to support me, that’s fine, and we have to go about it.”

Asked about Mr. Trump’s remarks on the convention, Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Mr. Ryan, replied, “The speaker looks forward to meeting with Mr. Trump on Thursday.”

Other allies of Mr. Trump have gone further in criticizing Mr. Ryan for declining to issue an immediate endorsement.

Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor, predicted in an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union” that Mr. Ryan would be “Cantored,” a reference to former Representative Eric Cantor of Virginia, who was in line to be speaker of the House before losing re-election in a Republican primary in 2014.

Correction: May 8, 2016
An earlier version of this article misstated the year that former Representative Eric Cantor of Virginia lost in a Republican primary. It was 2014, not 2015.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/05/08/trump-wont-rule-out-effort-to-remove-ryan-as-convention-chairman/?_r=0

Edited because the ] in the title was driving me nuts.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:33:56 am by Mod2 »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

Wow.

Since Trump has not ruled out using nuclear weapons.....in Europe, I'd say Cleveland got off easy.

Online Right_in_Virginia

@sinkspur

What?  No hat tip for again doing the research and providing the thread for you to copy and paste?

So small a man.   **nononono*

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:52:12 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
Wow.

Since Trump has not ruled out using nuclear weapons.....in Europe, I'd say Cleveland got off easy.

So Trump is ok with strong-arming at the convention; a tactic he accused the GOP-e of doing to steal the convention from him. As I suspected he's all GOP-e.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline sinkspur

@sinkspur

What?  No hat tip for again doing the research and providing the thread for you to copy and paste?

So small a man.   **nononono*

Research?  LOL!!   I found this article on Twitter two hours ago.  Just now getting around to posting it.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Research?  LOL!!   I found this article on Twitter two hours ago.  Just now getting around to posting it.

Really.   :whistle:

So small.  So very small.  And a disappointment.   **nononono*

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

So Trump is ok with strong-arming at the convention; a tactic he accused the GOP-e of doing to steal the convention from him. As I suspected he's all GOP-e.

It's only "rigged' when it doesn't work in his favor.

Watch all the Trumpbots here cheer this and say "it about time'.

Meanwhile if it was anyone but Trump trying to do this kind of Mobster crap...they'd be shrieking to the heavens about corruption and "something should be done to stop this!"

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!