Author Topic: Manafort: 'We have plenty of time to put the party together'  (Read 611 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/279146-manafort-unrealistic-to-expect-everyone-to-come-together

May 08, 2016, 09:24 am
Manafort: 'We have plenty of time to put the party together'

By Rebecca Savransky

Getty Images

Donald Trump's convention manager, Paul Manafort, said it will take time for the Republican Party to unite behind the presumptive GOP presidential nominee.
"To expect everyone to come together the day after the primary process ended, it was a bit unrealistic," Manafort said in an interview on "Fox News Sunday."

"But, frankly, I'm very pleased to say that it's happening even faster than we thought."

Manafort said Republican leaders in Washington were saying a week ago there was going to be a contested convention. When Trump won the Indiana primary last Tuesday, he added, the race ended "much sooner than anybody expected, except maybe the people supporting Donald Trump."

Following Trump's win, the candidate's former rivals, Ted Cruz and John Kasich, ended their presidential bids.

"So Washington was in a little bit of an uncertain phase ... but it's a healing process that will happen over time," Manafort said.

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said last week he was "just not ready" to support Trump. Several other Republican leaders have come out since and said they don't plan to support Trump as the nominee of their party.

But Manafort said many Republican leaders and several of Trump's former presidential rivals are uniting behind him.

He said the candidate wants the Republican Party to get behind him and support him, but there is time.

"There will be no contested convention," Manafort said.

"We have plenty of time to put the party together, and I think you're going to see a successful, united party in Cleveland."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LottieDah

Re: Manafort: 'We have plenty of time to put the party together'
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 09:41:55 pm »
"Manafort: 'We have plenty of time to put the party together'"

We?  We the people or "we" the wrecking crew?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 09:51:35 pm »
Not likely.   Going to be a third party candidate.  Never means never.  I don't know if the Republicans can find someone who can rally Conservatives or not.  But the never people are not going to unite.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 10:04:19 pm »
Not likely.   Going to be a third party candidate.  Never means never.  I don't know if the Republicans can find someone who can rally Conservatives or not.  But the never people are not going to unite.

Right... it would take a trump come to Cruz moment, for me even to consider an orange President.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 12:09:01 am »
Right... it would take a trump come to Cruz moment, for me even to consider an orange President.

Bingo. Right now Trump needs Cruz more than Cruz needs Trump. I'm sure there has been speculation and 'talk'. Trump has admittedly stated he needs someone who knows the government end and he can take care of the business end. Who he selects as VP is going to be extremely important.  First of all, he has to find someone who will accept the nomination.  I think he's going to have a 'VP' problem.  Kasich said he would refuse, but I think he's been Trumps partner for awhile.  Rick Scott, Susana Martinez and Nikki Haley have already declined. Rubio stated that he is dropping out of politics. Trump's choices I think are very limited.  I think its probably a decision between Kasich or Christie.

IMHO, problem is, I feel he really needs a female running mate to help with his anti-women problem.  Palin will sink him.  Haley and Martinez have already declined.  He's burned bridges with Fiorina...what female is going to agree to run with him???
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:10:11 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 12:19:03 am »
This shows how delusional Manafart is. The longer this division in the party festers, the more likely it is that it stays fractured.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 01:38:50 am »
This shows how delusional Manafart is. The longer this division in the party festers, the more likely it is that it stays fractured.

The division in the GOP has never been more evident as it is right now with Trump and the Trumpsters representing the liberals of the GOP.  It seems that the 'moderates'/aka RINO's of the party seem to be swinging more to the right...then we have the conservatives representing the sanity of the party.  We have a lunatic making an outlandish claim that he's going to unite the party. :nothappen:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 01:49:58 am »
Bingo. Right now Trump needs Cruz more than Cruz needs Trump. I'm sure there has been speculation and 'talk'. Trump has admittedly stated he needs someone who knows the government end and he can take care of the business end. Who he selects as VP is going to be extremely important.  First of all, he has to find someone who will accept the nomination.  I think he's going to have a 'VP' problem.  Kasich said he would refuse, but I think he's been Trumps partner for awhile.  Rick Scott, Susana Martinez and Nikki Haley have already declined. Rubio stated that he is dropping out of politics. Trump's choices I think are very limited.  I think its probably a decision between Kasich or Christie.

IMHO, problem is, I feel he really needs a female running mate to help with his anti-women problem.  Palin will sink him.  Haley and Martinez have already declined.  He's burned bridges with Fiorina...what female is going to agree to run with him???

The Orange One is in a pickle. If he goes N.E. libs like Kasich or Christy he will lose many Red States to Gary Johnson. And that would be OK... sends the election to the House most likely.

Now, it is not The Orange Ones decision on VP... that is up to the Delegates. Heck , at Convention the delegates can toss The Orange One all together. Remembr...Tea Party and Cruz have been  winning the delegate count due to the Great Orange One's incompetence. Add in Rubios 170 delegates. By all accounts... Cruz already has a majority on the "Rules" committee.

Interesting times.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:51:58 am by Fantom »
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 03:49:04 am »
The division in the GOP has never been more evident as it is right now with Trump and the Trumpsters representing the liberals of the GOP.  It seems that the 'moderates'/aka RINO's of the party seem to be swinging more to the right...then we have the conservatives representing the sanity of the party.  We have a lunatic making an outlandish claim that he's going to unite the party. :nothappen:

What Trump doesn't understand is that people are not just sitting around waiting for him to convince them to support him. They are reevaluating their political positions and moving to other options. The Libertarians are experiencing a boom in membership. This could actually be a year where a third party actually wins a state or two.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 10:38:19 am »
There's a difference between a united party and a party that is just paying lip-service to unity.  I think Trump is going to have the later.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 12:36:09 pm »
What Trump doesn't understand is that people are not just sitting around waiting for him to convince them to support him. They are reevaluating their political positions and moving to other options. The Libertarians are experiencing a boom in membership. This could actually be a year where a third party actually wins a state or two. 

Why not start a  conservative party?