Author Topic: NEW: Donald Trump Walks Back Tax Plan, Saying 'It's Going to Be Negotiated' (Tax Increases on Job Creators)  (Read 6985 times)

Offline sinkspur

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-walks-back-tax-plan-negotiated/story?id=38959168

Donald Trump Walks Back Tax Plan, Saying 'It's Going to Be Negotiated'

By NICKI ROSSOLL May 8, 2016, 9:02 AM ET

As Donald Trump pivots to the general election battle, he's already walking back his tax plan, the most specific policy proposal he has released during the campaign.

"By the time it gets negotiated, it's going to be a different plan," Trump told George Stephanopoulos on ABC News' "This Week."

In Trump’s tax plan, the wealthiest individuals would get a tax break, with the top tax rate dropping from 39.6 percent to 25 percent. But when pressed if he wants taxes on the wealthy to go up or down, he predicted that the top rate would be higher than the plan says.

"On my plan they're going down. But by the time it's negotiated, they'll go up," Trump said. "Look, when I'm negotiating with the Democrats, I'm putting in a plan. I'm putting in my optimum plan. It's going to be negotiated, George. It's not going to stay there. They're not going to say, 'There's your plan, let's approve it.' They're going to say, 'Let's see what we can do.'"

While Trump said he would like to keep everything in his plan, his top priorities would be lowering taxes on businesses and the middle class, not helping the rich.

"I will try and keep everything. What I really want is lower on business, because business, we're the highest-taxed nation in the world. And I want lower on the middle class," he said.

Trump also reversed his position on minimum wage.

"I am looking at it, and I haven't decided in terms of numbers. But I think people have to get more," Trump said.

Throughout the primaries, Trump had been against increasing the minimum wage, but as the Republican Party's presumptive nominee, he's changing.

"Sure, it's a change. I'm allowed to change. You need flexibility, George, whether it's a tax plan, where you're going -- where you know you're going to negotiate. But we're going to come up with something. But my real minimum wage is going to be -- I'm going to bring companies back into this country, and they're going to make a lot more than the $15 even," Trump said.

Unclear is whether Trump supports a direct hike in the minimum wage or simply intends to achieve it through greater economic prosperity.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

The move to the left begins officially today...................

Offline libertybele

Holy crap!  Imagine Trump moving to the left ... yet again!  Yep...got a bunch of rocket scientists aboard that Trump train.   :silly: :silly:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 01:39:36 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus

"This is called the Republican Party. It's not called the conservative party." ~ Trump today on ABC
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline washi

"Look, when I'm negotiating with the Democrats, I'm putting in a plan. I'm putting in my optimum plan. It's going to be negotiated, George. It's not going to stay there. They're not going to say, 'There's your plan, let's approve it.' They're going to say, 'Let's see what we can do.'"

Hmmm. I haven't actually read "The Art of the Deal".

Can one of you trump fans help me out here?

Is the "Art of the Deal" to tell your adversaries exactly how you plan to negotiate with them, and let them know beforehand that your first offer is B.S. prior to the start of negotiations?

Or is the "Art of the Deal" to tell your followers exactly what they want to hear, and then once you've gotten them to vote for you in the primaries, you renege on what you said?

I can't WAIT to see the Trump supporters twist themselves in knots defending this.
Any organization not explicitly conservative will turn liberal over time.

Wingnut

What it must be like inside Trumps Brain?

His mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
A real provincial putz.

Offline sinkspur

Hmmm. I haven't actually read "The Art of the Deal".

Can one of you trump fans help me out here?

Is the "Art of the Deal" to tell your adversaries exactly how you plan to negotiate with them, and let them know beforehand that your first offer is B.S. prior to the start of negotiations?

Or is the "Art of the Deal" to tell your followers exactly what they want to hear, and then once you've gotten them to vote for you in the primaries, you renege on what you said?

I can't WAIT to see the Trump supporters twist themselves in knots defending this.

LOL!!  Very good!!!  The smartest negotiator in America pre-emptively throws away one of his bargaining chips before the negotiations begin!!

Offline montanajoe

The NeverTrump folks are going to get pretty tired of saying I told you so between now and November :mauslaff:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
The NeverTrump folks are going to get pretty tired of saying I told you so between now and November :mauslaff:

Maybe! But it's gonna be awhile before this one gets there!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

FWIW, neither Trump's nor Cruz' tax plans were going to make it.  They were designed to appeal to the "tax conservatives" to help get the nomination.  I think both realized those plans would soften as we moved into the GE.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline sinkspur

FWIW, neither Trump's nor Cruz' tax plans were going to make it.  They were designed to appeal to the "tax conservatives" to help get the nomination.  I think both realized those plans would soften as we moved into the GE.

Have you ever seen a tax plan thrown in the trash this quickly?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

What else do you see in there swamie?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Wingnut

What else do you see in there swamie?

Where is Carnac the Magnificent when you need him!

Offline sinkspur

I just heard Trump.  He's actually sitting there and negotiating with himself, saying he'll probably have to raise taxes on the wealthy.  He's under no illusion that he could be successful in holding down taxes on the wealthy. 

Some negotiator.

Offline RedHead

The gallop to the left began right after he announced he was the nominee.

Offline MACVSOG68

Have you ever seen a tax plan thrown in the trash this quickly?

I haven't seen this one trashed yet.  But he's going to have to explain how it will cut $10 trillion in revenues over ten years, but balance the budget and cut the debt.  With all of his other issues, his tax plan hasn't really come under much scrutiny yet.  One by one though, all of his promises and plans will start to be dissected, as will Hillary's.  Anti-Trump posters claim there's no difference between the two.  Well the tax plans certainly wouldn't bear that out.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
Donald Trump Walks Back Tax Plan, Saying 'It's Going to Be Negotiated'
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 03:32:40 pm »
As Donald Trump pivots to the general election battle, he's already walking back his tax plan, the most specific policy proposal he has released during the campaign.

"By the time it gets negotiated, it's going to be a different plan," Trump told George Stephanopoulos on ABC News' "This Week."

In Trump’s tax plan, the wealthiest individuals would get a tax break, with the top tax rate dropping from 39.6 percent to 25 percent. But when pressed if he wants taxes on the wealthy to go up or down, he predicted that the top rate would be higher than the plan says.

"On my plan they're going down. But by the time it's negotiated, they'll go up," Trump said. "Look, when I'm negotiating with the Democrats, I'm putting in a plan. I'm putting in my optimum plan. It's going to be negotiated, George. It's not going to stay there. They're not going to say, 'There's your plan, let's approve it.' They're going to say, 'Let's see what we can do.'"

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trump-walks-back-tax-plan-negotiated/story?id=38959168

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 03:35:55 pm by Eowyn »

Offline NavyCanDo

Negotiating with the Democrats.....Isn't that why Many despise  Paul Ryan?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
Yeah, and why does Trump plan to work with Democrats instead of Republicans?  Does he plan to make sure a Republicans lose the House and Senate?  He certainly seems to be campaigning against Republicans all the time instead of Democrats.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:18:52 pm by Eowyn »

Offline Mechanicos

Ok tired of this, Have none of you ever done a negotiation? Its not walking back anything. You get nothing with hard line refusal to negotiate unless you are Obama and dealing with Republicans. The question is what is it he wants and what can be given away. You assume its the core principles he has stated without any evidence.

As usual this talking point is a #neverTrump nothing burger.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 03:46:45 pm by Mechanicos »
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline GrouchoTex

Yeah, and why does Trump plan to work with Democrats instead if Republicans?  Does he plan to make sure a republicans lose the House and Senate?  He certainly seems to be campaigning against Republicans all the time instead if Democrats.
It makes me wonder if he is aware which of party he is trying to win the nomination for.
I think he may be taking for granted that republicans are automatically on board.
That would be a grievous error.

Offline GrouchoTex

Yeah, and why does Trump plan to work with Democrats instead if Republicans?  Does he plan to make sure a republicans lose the House and Senate?  He certainly seems to be campaigning against Republicans all the time instead if Democrats.
It makes me wonder if he is aware which of party he is trying to win the nomination for.
I think he may be taking for granted that republicans are automatically on board.
That would be a grievous error.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump envisions changes to tax plan
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 03:56:08 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/279152-trump-says-tax-plan-is-going-to-be-negotiated

May 08, 2016, 10:27 am
Trump envisions changes to tax plan

By Rebecca Savransky

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump said in an interview broadcast Sunday that there will be changes to his tax plan after negotiations.

"By the time it gets negotiated, it's going to be a different plan," Trump said on ABC's "This Week."

According to the candidate's plan, the tax rate for the wealthiest people in the country would drop from 39.6 percent to 25 percent. But he said that would likely change.

"On my plan, they're going down. But by the time it's negotiated, they'll go up," Trump said.

"Look, when I'm negotiating with the Democrats, I'm putting in a plan. I'm putting in my optimum plan. It's going to be negotiated. ... It's not going to stay there. They're not going to say, 'There's your plan, let's approve it.' They're going to say, 'Let's see what we can do.' "

He said the most important parts of his tax plan include lowering taxes on businesses and the middle class. He said he'll "try and keep everything," adding that the country is the "highest-taxed nation in the world."

Regarding minimum wage, Trump also said he thinks "people have to get more."

"I am looking at it, and I haven't decided in terms of numbers," he said.

"Sure, it's a change. I'm allowed to change. You need flexibility ... whether it's a tax plan ... where you know you're going to negotiate," he continued.

"But we're going to come up with something. ... I'm going to bring companies back into this country, and they're going to make a lot more than the $15 even," Trump said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline NavyCanDo

Ok tired of this, Have none of you ever done a negotiation? Its not walking back anything. You get nothing with hard line refusal to negotiate unless you are Obama and dealing with Republicans. The question is what is it he wants and what can be given away. You assume its the core principles he has stated without any evidence.

As usual this talking point is a #neverTrump nothing burger.

He's not in a position yet to negotiate jack s@&!.   The only negotiating he's doing is pandering to Sanders voters.   The Party Platform IS the Party Platform. After the election things swing back closer to the center, and always have and its often neccesary to get Washington moving, but after the election.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn