Author Topic: Michael Sam: If I Had Never Come Out, I’d Still be in the NFL  (Read 1357 times)

rangerrebew

Michael Sam: If I Had Never Come Out, I’d Still be in the NFL
By Dylan Gwinn | May 6, 2016 | 10:58 PM EDT
shares

Michael Sam believes that the fact that he came out as gay, played a “huge part” in why he is no longer in the NFL. Speaking to Dave Zirin, on the Edge of Sports podcast, Michael Sam shared his thoughts on why he is currently not in the league:

“I think if I never would have came out, never would have said those words out to the public, I would still be currently in the NFL. But because of me saying those words, I think it could have played a huge part in my current situation.”

This is really rich, considering we now know for a fact that the only reason Michael Sam was ever drafted into the league was because he was gay. In addition to that, we also know that the only reason why Sam was signed by the Cowboys, after being released by the Rams, was because the league worked the phones, lobbying teams to sign him to their practice squads, in order to avoid the PR excrement storm of having the first openly gay player in NFL history not make the roster.

Yet, even allowing for all that, Sam was still extended an opportunity to compete at the NFL Veteran’s Combine. Where he turned in a most forgettable performance, because he was completely out of shape and unmotivated.

Other than that, Michael Sam is a tremendous football player who should totes be allowed to play in the NFL.

Source URL: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/dylan-gwinn/2016/05/06/michael-sam-if-i-had-never-come-out-id-still-be-nfl

rangerrebew

Re: Michael Sam: If I Had Never Come Out, I’d Still be in the NFL
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 09:59:51 am »
 :facepalm2: If, perhaps, he had enough skill he would have made it, too.  On the other hand, maybe he was too fond of patting his teammates on the arse.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 10:05:12 am »
Perpetually aggrieved.   8888crybaby
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 11:23:14 am »
He's already said this once some months ago, I guess it will be a story every time he says it. There are other places to play football besides the NFL and other sports jobs. He's not that big either from what I understand.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 11:31:17 am »
He's already said this once some months ago, I guess it will be a story every time he says it. There are other places to play football besides the NFL and other sports jobs. He's not that big either from what I understand.
He had an opportunity in Canadian football, too (which is far from being semi-pro)—but he quit a few weeks into it.

The man simply lacks the emotional fortitude to be able to handle the rigors of professional football. If he were good enough to make it, it'd make for an excellent PR move, but he isn't, and he doesn't seem to want to put in the effort.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 11:35:10 am »
Don't give a crap if someone is gay - never have, never will - but this is BS. He was dropped because even this complete and utter none (padded rugby) fan could see he was NOT THAT GOOD.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline RedHead

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 11:37:17 am »
No, he wouldn't.  He was always a sixth or seventh round pick at best.  His ability to perform at the pro level was always suspect and experience showed he didn't have the talent.  His sexual orientation had nothing to do with that.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 03:46:12 pm »
I think the only reason he wasn't stuck in a practice squad was because he way gay. Political correctness move him up to a starting position, and there he failed.

And speaking of the NFL and the influence of gays, could we please stop having The New York fasion industry design NFL clothing? What is with those polo shirts with the stripe up the spine we see on the sidelines? Some gay designer in NY thought it would be "fabulous!".   And the Color Rush Thursdays, what the hell?

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 05:58:47 pm »
A very small fraction of college athletes - in any sport - are successful in the professional ranks, even those who were big stars in college ball. He was just one of many hundreds from his era. Face it, Mike, you're just not that good.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

geronl

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 09:41:51 pm »
He would have never been drafted.

The NFL pressured and made a deal with the Rams to get them to draft Sam.

He was never good enough to be in the NFL.

geronl

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 09:43:33 pm »
No, he wouldn't.  He was always a sixth or seventh round pick at best.  His ability to perform at the pro level was always suspect and experience showed he didn't have the talent.  His sexual orientation had nothing to do with that.

I remember a news report saying the NFL made a deal with the Rams to get them to draft Sam. He would have never been drafted otherwise.