Author Topic: The GOP's 24-hour meltdown  (Read 1643 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The GOP's 24-hour meltdown
« on: May 07, 2016, 01:01:49 am »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/the-gops-24-hour-meltdown-222921

Trump's promise to unify the Republican Party is in tatters, as an all-out civil war grips the GOP.

By Nolan D. McCaskill

05/06/16 07:07 PM EDT

Donald Trump on Tuesday night assumed the mantle of presumptive nominee and declared: “We want to bring unity to the Republican Party. We have to bring unity.”

Three days later, the GOP is tearing itself apart.

Friday brought another day of incredible division and revolt with Jeb Bush and Lindsey Graham falling in line not behind Trump, but behind House Speaker Paul Ryan, who said a day earlier that he cannot yet support the brash real estate mogul as his party’s standard-bearer.

Trump, instead of trying to make peace, lashed out.

He fired off a vicious statement, calling Graham an “embarrassment” with “zero credibility.”

Then he laced into both of his former rivals during his rally in Omaha, Nebraska, where he is continuing to campaign ahead of Tuesday’s primary, despite having vanquished the rest of the GOP field.

“But I won’t talk about Jeb Bush. I will not say — I will not say he’s low energy. I will not say it,” Trump told a boisterous crowd who booed at the mention of his critics. “I will not say it. And I won’t talk about Lindsey Graham, who had like 1 point, you ever see this guy on television? He is nasty. … He leaves a disgrace, he can’t represent the people of South Carolina well.”

Trump also alternated on Friday between shrugging off Ryan’s bombshell announcement and scorching him.

During a phone interview with Fox News, Trump said he was “very, very surprised” at Ryan’s comments. “It’s hard to believe,” he said, adding, “It doesn’t bother me at all.”

His tweets, however, suggest otherwise.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/the-gops-24-hour-meltdown-222921#ixzz47vZ5JUE0

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mesaclone

Re: The GOP's 24-hour meltdown
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 01:06:36 am »
Very misleading article.

Everyone knew where the Bush's, Romney's and Graham's would go...to the whine house.

Otherwise, people are definitely coalescing. Trump will meet with Ryan next week and the healing will really start to take hold...but yes, its going to take months rather than days. Its absurd to think things would get patched up in a couple days anyway. By convention time, the party will be rallied and mostly unified minus a tiny percentage of hardliners upset that their guy lost or who have an inflated sense of their own moral superiority. The party will be energized and ready to crush Hilsey by August.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 01:11:32 am »
Ryan assumed the speakership, hoping to do financial reform. Trump's already ruined that.  He didn't want the speakership in the first place, so it would not surprise me if, ultimately, Ryan resigned.

Trump is running out of people to trash.Soon, all he'll have are his dead-enders.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:14:48 am »
An interesting question raised by one commentator today is:  If Hillary's leading Trump by 15 points at the Convention, will the delegates commit political suicide and still nominate Trump?

Or will they, en masse, reject him so a more electable  candidate can come forward?

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 01:17:20 am »
An interesting question raised by one commentator today is:  If Hillary's leading Trump by 15 points at the Convention, will the delegates commit political suicide and still nominate Trump?

Or will they, en masse, reject him so a more electable  candidate can come forward?

I don't like Trump and I don't like this fact, but he has considerable support among GOPers. He won Indiana, had the support of a sizable majority in NY. They think he can win somehow. I don't think the delegates will revolt.

Now, I disagree with all that, but I think that is what they think, however delusional.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 01:58:28 am »

Since Hillary cannot fill a school gym with supporters any polls saying shes ahead of Trump is Agitprop and will be ignored by people with Brains.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 02:06:47 am »
Since Hillary cannot fill a school gym with supporters any polls saying shes ahead of Trump is Agitprop and will be ignored by people with Brains.

Since you're ignorant of so many basic things, I suspect you're also ignorant of polling.  Polls are very reliable gauges of where the electorate is at any given time.

And Trump has led in TWO of the last 69 polls taken.  The latest one, Hillary leads by 13 points.

We can be pretty sure Trump is losing.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 02:13:11 am »
Very misleading article.

Everyone knew where the Bush's, Romney's and Graham's would go...to the whine house.

Otherwise, people are definitely coalescing. Trump will meet with Ryan next week and the healing will really start to take hold...but yes, its going to take months rather than days. Its absurd to think things would get patched up in a couple days anyway. By convention time, the party will be rallied and mostly unified minus a tiny percentage of hardliners upset that their guy lost or who have an inflated sense of their own moral superiority. The party will be energized and ready to crush Hilsey by August.

Anti-Trumpers get their news and leadership, from Politico and other democrat sources.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 02:15:35 am »

That's the whole ballgame.   That's why, I think, that Kasich quit right after Cruz did.    Let the dog catch the car.  See what he does with it.  There's a month before California, around two months 'til the convention.  Let the delegates and conservatives generally stew on what Trumpism means and how Trump conducts himself when the mantle of responsibility and party leadership is thrust upon him.   Will he remain a cheapsuit hustler or will he grow the flip up? 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 02:21:43 am »
Anti-Trumpers get their news and leadership, from Politico and other democrat sources.

And Trumploos get their news from the shows.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 02:22:47 am »
That's the whole ballgame.   That's why, I think, that Kasich quit right after Cruz did.    Let the dog catch the car.  See what he does with it.  There's a month before California, around two months 'til the convention.  Let the delegates and conservatives generally stew on what Trumpism means and how Trump conducts himself when the mantle of responsibility and party leadership is thrust upon him.   Will he remain a cheapsuit hustler or will he grow the flip up?

The news in the last three days is not encouraging.  Trump manages to provide reasons every single day for those who oppose him to justify their decision.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 02:25:43 am »
And Trumploos get their news from the shows.

....come on...what is that Trumploos....geeeez
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 02:27:40 am »
Since you're ignorant of so many basic things, I suspect you're also ignorant of polling.  Polls are very reliable gauges of where the electorate is at any given time.

And Trump has led in TWO of the last 69 polls taken.  The latest one, Hillary leads by 13 points.

Yeah we are talking Hillary here.  Any Poll saying shes winning is a garbage Push poll.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 05:37:20 am »
Yeah we are talking Hillary here.  Any Poll saying shes winning is a garbage Push poll.

Ignore Sink, he's truly mental.

The most recent Likely Voter poll, the Rasmussen poll, has Trump over Hillary by 2. The GWU Battleground shows her by a tad but within the margin of error. The poll Sink cites is also a "Registered voter" poll, not a Likely voter poll...so its of minimal value. Truth is, polls mean next to nothing prior to the conventions...Sink knows this, but can't help himself.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 05:39:28 am by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

A-Lert

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 05:56:39 am »

Didn't you post a poll showing Cruz up by double digits in Indiana?  :silly:

Offline kidd

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2016, 07:08:57 am »

Delegates used to have the option to go rogue.

Present rules don't allow that. If a delegate votes in a manner that violates a rule of their state's party, their vote is voided and a vote is cast that is in accordance with the state.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 07:38:16 am by kidd »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 12:54:49 pm »
Delegates used to have the option to go rogue.

Present rules don't allow that. If a delegate votes in a manner that violates a rule of their state's party, their vote is voided and a vote is cast that is in accordance with the state.

But see, that's the thing - that rule could be changed.    And the two month period between the date of the Indiana primary and the convention gives ample time for "Trump to be Trump".   If he continues to mock and attack fellow Republicans,  and say crap that it's not about the party it's about him,  then a majority of delegates may well be inclined to change the rules. 

The more I think about it,  Kasich joining Cruz and standing down after Indiana may have been a brilliant move.  Suddenly the mantle of responsibility and leadership is thrust upon Trump.   Can he handle it?   What does a dog do when he catches the car?   We'll find out.   

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 12:59:16 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/the-gops-24-hour-meltdown-222921

Trump's promise to unify the Republican Party is in tatters, as an all-out civil war grips the GOP.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/the-gops-24-hour-meltdown-222921#ixzz47vZ5JUE0

I believe Trump is a manchurian candidate who's been doing the bidding of the Clinton's the whole time. He will purposely self-destruct to hand the White House to Clinton. I'm sure there is a quid pro quo involved.  :chairbang:
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 01:04:23 pm »
If he continues to mock and attack fellow Republicans,  and say crap that it's not about the party it's about him,  then a majority of delegates may well be inclined to change the rules. 

The more I think about it,  Kasich joining Cruz and standing down after Indiana may have been a brilliant move.  Suddenly the mantle of responsibility and leadership is thrust upon Trump.   Can he handle it?   What does a dog do when he catches the car?   We'll find out.

I had not considered that.  ****sheep****

You could tell the 'former' GOP-e presumptive nominee about that, but the potential narcissist-in-chief would not be able to control himself anyways. Trump will be Trump to his own decline.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 01:11:00 pm »
But see, that's the thing - that rule could be changed.    And the two month period between the date of the Indiana primary and the convention gives ample time for "Trump to be Trump".   If he continues to mock and attack fellow Republicans,  and say crap that it's not about the party it's about him,  then a majority of delegates may well be inclined to change the rules. 

It is not the Convention rules locking them in its the States' rules they represent. Nothing at the Convention can change that.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 01:18:18 pm »
It is not the Convention rules locking them in its the States' rules they represent. Nothing at the Convention can change that.

Well,  that's even better from my perspective,  because the states then would have different rules.   Which states now have "anti-rogue" rules?    Which states don't?

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
    • Not My Circus
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 01:21:31 pm »
Well,  that's even better from my perspective,  because the states then would have different rules.   Which states now have "anti-rogue" rules?    Which states don't?

Enough delegates and alternates from a state could stage a sick out...too sick to go to the convention for the first vote  :beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 01:23:45 pm »
How much support did Barack Obama have in his campaign rallies in 2012? Almost nothing. Yet he still won.

Clinton is not worried about circus rallies. She's working behind the scenes to secure her firewall.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Springfield Reformer

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 01:25:16 pm »

She's got Illinois in her pocket. At least based on my anecdotal evidence. For crying out loud, I've got my dem friends actually expressing their condolences to me for Trump getting the nod. We had had some good conversations about Cruz.  He is the one they didn't want running against Hill. Now they feel she can win, even if she's carried off in an orange jumpsuit.

And no, none of that criminal behavior seems to matter to them. Just "First Woman President," "Not a crazy right-winger," etc etc. She's become a mythic symbol to the left. It's not that character doesn't matter.  It's just that the left judges character differently than conservatives. For them, "character" is showing you have what it takes to get and keep power, so you can do good of course. But the ends justify the means. You can be as horrible as you need to be, as long as in the end, you are an orthodox collectivist, and use your power to help usher in the collectivist utopia. Which is why the more the GOP (including the rank and file) adopts the principle of winning at any cost to principle, the more it converges with what the left already is.

Peace,

SR
Winston Churchill: No Peace Till Victory!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 01:27:56 pm »
Ignore Sink, he's truly mental.

The most recent Likely Voter poll, the Rasmussen poll, has Trump over Hillary by 2. The GWU Battleground shows her by a tad but within the margin of error. The poll Sink cites is also a "Registered voter" poll, not a Likely voter poll...so its of minimal value. Truth is, polls mean next to nothing prior to the conventions...Sink knows this, but can't help himself.
That poll also had both candidates under 40 percent—meaning that could be a swing of over 40 percentage points, 60-40 either way, not even counting margin of error. If you want to talk about totally useless polls, one that shows a possible landslide for either candidate is one. That poll was put out for one reason alone, and that was to give the Trump base an ammunition talking point to rebut the fact that their candidate is the most hated candidate put up by a major party in decades.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024