Author Topic: I went to the Franklin Graham rally in Charleston, WV (instead of the Trump rally)  (Read 3419 times)

Offline mountaineer

Mr. M and I decided several weeks ago to attend Franklin Graham's "Decision America" noontime stop in our state capital on May 5. Just a day or two before that event, I learned that Donald Trump would be holding a rally at 7 p.m. the same day. I could have obtained tickets but didn't, and not just because we'd already made plans to meet a friend for dinner (when in Charleston, try Soho restaurant!). We just didn't want to. Regardless of how we'll vote in November, Mr. Trump was far from our first choice among the Republican candidates and we didn't feel comfortable offering our support by attending.

Mr. Graham has been holding these meetings for the past few months. He's going to every state capital, and Charleston was the 22d. In case anyone is not familiar with him, he is the son of evangelist Billy Graham, who is 97 years old and resides in North Carolina.
Franklin Graham is traveling to all 50 states in 2016 to hold prayer rallies, to preach the Gospel, and to challenge believers to take a stand and take action. He’ll be urging Christians to vote, to live out their faith in every part of their lives, and to pray for our nation just as Nehemiah cried out to God to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem and restore hope to His people. Decision America website
Anyway, we drove to Charleston on a cool, drizzly day to attend the noontime rally at the State Capitol (at Lincoln Plaza, overlooking the Kanawha River). We parked about a mile away and walked, and we had plenty of company. News reports estimated 4,200 to 5,000 attended.

After some music, Graham spoke. When we look at the state of our nation, he said, what can we do? The answer is VOTE. He wasn't telling anyone whom to vote for, but urged all to vote for candidates who stand for biblical principles and won't compromise those principles.

"We're in trouble," he said, "economically, socially, politically and spiritually," adding that he has no hope in the Democrat party, no hope in the Republican party. "The only hope for this country is Almighty God."

Citing the story of Nehemiah from the Bible book of that name, he described how Nehemiah prayed and confessed his sin. He led the assembled in a prayer of repentance. He also prayed for everyone working in that state capitol building, the state's legislators, governor, attorney general and law enforcement officers.

He then delivered a gospel or salvation message, urging those in attendance who hadn't already  repented of sin to do so. "This election is the most important of our lives, but there's a larger decision to be made," he said. "Decide what you will believe."

He also urged everyone to take a pledge to run for office if they believed God was leading them in that direction. "It's time we quit being afraid to take a stand, "he said, adding that it is the duty of Christians to offer themselves for public office.

There was nothing political about the rally. He didn't comment on any candidate, pro or con. We all sang God Bless America and America the Beautiful and left (without a scrap of trash left behind!).

Upcoming schedule for Decision America:
May 17, 2016
Jefferson City, Missouri Prayer Rally
Capitol South Steps, 201 W Capitol Ave, Jefferson City, MO 65101

May 18, 2016
Lincoln, Nebraska Prayer Rally
Capitol North Plaza, 1445 K St, Lincoln, NE 68509

May 24, 2016
Pierre, South Dakota Prayer Rally
Capitol Front Steps, 500 E Capitol Ave, Pierre, SD 57501

May 25, 2016
Bismarck, North Dakota Prayer Rally
Capitol South Steps (1st Level), 600 E Boulevard Ave, Bismarck, ND 58505

June 14, 2016
Springfield, Illinois Prayer Rally
Capitol Lincoln Statue Steps, 301 S 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62707

June 15, 2016
Madison, Wisconsin Prayer Rally
Capitol Plaza Area (Kings St), 2 E Main St, Madison, WI 53703

June 16, 2016
St Paul, Minnesota Prayer Rally
Capitol Lower Mall, 75 Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, St Paul, MN 55155

June 28, 2016
Salem, Oregon Prayer Rally
Capitol North Steps, 900 Court St NE, Salem, OR 97301

June 29, 2016
Olympia, Washington Prayer Rally
Capitol Grounds Steps, 215 Sid Snyder Ave SW, Olympia, 98501 WA

July 1, 2016
Juneau, Alaska Prayer Rally
Marine Park, 144 Marine Way, Juneau, AK 99801

August 9, 2016
Helena, Montana Prayer Rally
Capitol North Front Steps, 1301 E 6th Ave, Helena, MT 59601

August 10, 2016
Boise, Idaho Prayer Rally
Capitol Jefferson Street Steps, 700 W Jefferson St, Boise, ID 83702

August 12, 2016
Cheyenne, Wyoming Prayer Rally
Supreme Court Lawn adjacent to Capitol, 200 W 24th St, Cheyenne, WY 82001

August 23, 2016
Augusta, Maine Prayer Rally
State House West Side, Maine State House, Augusta, ME 04330

August 24, 2016
Montpelier, Vermont Prayer Rally
State House, Front Steps, 115 State St, Montpelier, VT 05633

August 25, 2016
Albany, New York Prayer Rally
Capitol Park West, State St and Washington Ave, Albany, NY 12224

August 30, 2016
Boston, Massachusetts Prayer Rally
Boston Common, 139 Tremont St, Boston, MA 02116

August 31, 2016
Providence, Rhode Island Prayer Rally
Capitol South Steps, 82 Smith St, Providence, RI 02903

September 1, 2016
Hartford, Connecticut Prayer Rally
Capitol North Steps, 210 Capitol Ave, Hartford, CT 06106

September 13, 2016
Dover, Delaware Prayer Rally
State House Front Steps, 411 Legislative Ave, Dover, DE 19901

September 14, 2016
Trenton, New Jersey Prayer Rally
Capitol Front Plaza, 125 W State St, Trenton, NJ 08608

September 15, 2016
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Prayer Rally
Capitol at Soldiers & Sailors Grove , 501 N 3rd St, Harrisburg, PA 17120

October 4, 2016
Lansing, Michigan Prayer Rally
Capitol East Steps, 100 N Capitol Ave, Lansing, MI 48933

October 5, 2016
Indianapolis, Indiana Prayer Rally
Capitol South Lawn, 200 W Washington St , Indianapolis, IN 46204

October 6, 2016
Columbus, Ohio Prayer Rally
Capitol West Plaza, E State St, Columbus, OH 43215

October 11, 2016
Annapolis, Maryland Prayer Rally
Lawyer’s Mall on the Capitol Grounds, 100 State Cir, Annapolis, MD 21401

October 12, 2016
Richmond, Virginia Prayer Rally
Location to be determined, Richmond, VA

October 13, 2016
Raleigh, North Carolina Prayer Rally
Capitol South Side, 1 E Edenton St, Raleigh, NC 27601
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

While not specifically referencing the presidential race, Graham said, "You may have to choose the best of two heathens," drawing a few laughs from the crowd.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Good, a bit of sanity.

Offline mountaineer

I'd urge everyone to check the schedule posted above for your state. It will take less than an hour out of your day to attend.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I had a fellow church parishioner try to tell me that Franklin Graham had endorsed Trump.

I told him I was suspicious of that, and he pointed me to an article that pointed out that Trump and Graham had agreed on the issue of Iran... but it was written by a Trump-fan in a way that implied Graham's endorsement (when there was no such thing). The fact that Graham has come out effectively calling both Trump and Clinton "heathens" pretty much confirms my suspicions.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Graham has endorsed no one. He was very careful not to say anything that could be perceived as such. The rally was a prayer meeting. Nothing remotely political about it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:21:26 am by mountaineer »

geronl

While not specifically referencing the presidential race, Graham said, "You may have to choose the best of two heathens," drawing a few laughs from the crowd.

I wonder which two he was referring to. Besides I'll vote for Heathen #3 or 4.

Offline HootOwl

I had a fellow church parishioner try to tell me that Franklin Graham had endorsed Trump.

I told him I was suspicious of that, and he pointed me to an article that pointed out that Trump and Graham had agreed on the issue of Iran... but it was written by a Trump-fan in a way that implied Graham's endorsement (when there was no such thing). The fact that Graham has come out effectively calling both Trump and Clinton "heathens" pretty much confirms my suspicions.

that was Falwell :raise hand:well

Offline mountaineer

Facebook
June 7, 2016

Franklin Graham
6 mins ·

It seems congratulations are in order to Hillary Clinton this morning. According to the Associated Press, she now has enough delegates to win the Democratic nomination, even though Bernie Sanders disagrees and pledges to fight on. As things stand right now, it looks like the presidential election this fall will be between Hillary Clinton and Donald J. Trump. As I’ve said since the beginning of the election season, I’m not endorsing any candidates—but I am appealing to all Americans to pray. This nation is in serious trouble. Both the Democratic and the Republican parties have lost the moral vision for this nation. I pray that God will give us a president who is a strong and courageous leader and who has a vision for the future. We need a president who can lead this nation back to being one nation under God so that we can truly say “In God we trust!” May God bless America again!