Author Topic: Donald Trump backs Brexit, saying UK would be 'better off' without EU  (Read 788 times)

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee for president, has come out in support of Brexit, saying the UK would be “better off” outside of the European Union and lamenting the consequences of migration in the continent.

The billionaire, who secured backing of Republican voters on a staunchly anti-immigration platform, said that his support for the UK leaving the EU was a personal belief and not a “recommendation”.

“I think the migration has been a horrible thing for Europe,” Trump told Fox News late on Thursday. “A lot of that was pushed by the EU. I would say that they’re better off without it, personally, but I’m not making that as a recommendation. Just my feeling.”

“I know Great Britain very well,” Trump continued. “I know, you know, the country very well. I have a lot of investments there. I would say that they’re better off without it. But I want them to make their own decision.”

The Republican frontrunner, who benefited this week from his last two rivals dropping out of the race, had previously resisted commenting on whether Britain should vote to leave the EU in its referendum next month.

Earlier this week, Trump criticized Barack Obama for coming out against Brexit, telling the Daily Mail the current incumbent of the White House should be “more neutral” on the subject.

“I didn’t think it was a good thing for him to do it,” he said at the time. “I would say that I’m not going to give Britain any advice, but I know there are a lot of people that are very, very much against being in the EU.”

In March, Trump said he suspected Britain may leave the EU because “they’re having a lot of problems” but stressed he did not want to intervene.

“I don’t want to make a comment about the UK leaving but I think they may leave based on – I’m there a lot, I have a lot of investments in the UK, and I will tell you that I think they may leave based on everything I’m hearing,” he said at the time.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/05/donald-trump-brexit-uk-leaving-european-union?CMP=twt_gu

I agree with the Donald about this one. How those UKers stand being pushed around by those effete continentals is beyond me.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/05/donald-trump-brexit-uk-leaving-european-union?CMP=twt_gu

I agree with the Donald about this one. How those UKers stand being pushed around by those effete continentals is beyond me.

The whole thing is a weird set up.  Thankfully one thing England never did was switch to the Euro and ditch the Pound.

Fiscal policy is set in Brussels.....the individual countries no longer have the option of raising or lowering the value of their own currency to help curb inflation or spur job growth....so countries with weak economies have situations like what you saw in Greece two years ago.

If it weren't for NATO the EU wouldn't have a coherent defense force and even now it's shaky.  NATO has to beg and plead for member states to pony up the required 2% of their GDP for defense.  If (God forbid) Trump gets his way and pulls the U.S. out of NATO the alliance will fold and Europe will be wide open to Putin.

These countries sacrificed their independence and sovereignty for what?  I'm not sure but it's not been the Utopia that was sold to them that's for sure.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
The whole thing is a weird set up.  Thankfully one thing England never did was switch to the Euro and ditch the Pound.

Fiscal policy is set in Brussels.....the individual countries no longer have the option of raising or lowering the value of their own currency to help curb inflation or spur job growth....so countries with weak economies have situations like what you saw in Greece two years ago.

If it weren't for NATO the EU wouldn't have a coherent defense force and even now it's shaky.  NATO has to beg and plead for member states to pony up the required 2% of their GDP for defense.  If (God forbid) Trump gets his way and pulls the U.S. out of NATO the alliance will fold and Europe will be wide open to Putin.

These countries sacrificed their independence and sovereignty for what?  I'm not sure but it's not been the Utopia that was sold to them that's for sure.

Well there are some benefits. They get access to a huge market. They can also move around without a passport within the EU. I just feel that they sacrificed way too much for that.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Well there are some benefits. They get access to a huge market. They can also move around without a passport within the EU. I just feel that they sacrificed way too much for that.

Agreed.  And with all of the Muslim "invaders" pouring into Europe right now...that whole drive from one country to the next without check points and security is biting them in the ass too.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Well - my response to the Donald is the same as my response to the Worm.

Butt out. No one asked you.

:tongue2:

Now that's out of the way, it looks like an exit is on the cards. I approve.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Now that's out of the way, it looks like an exit is on the cards. I approve.

IMHO if England pulls out...countries like Germany and France will be next.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Not Germany, France is unlikely.

Italy, Spain for definite - the Italians detest the Germans for insulting them by putting in an administrator and over-riding their parliament.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Not Germany, France is unlikely.

Italy, Spain for definite - the Italians detest the Germans for insulting them by putting in an administrator and over-riding their parliament.

Portugal and Greece as well possibly.

Germany has had to pay the freight for a lot of the poorer EU countries that can't support themselves.  The people here are upset about that. 

I hear too many Germans my age (47) and older longing for the days of the D Mark and how things were before the EU.

I wouldn't count them out of an exit if it looks like they are going to be the last big European country left in the union.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:27:50 am by txradioguy »