Author Topic: Sessions: Ryan made ‘big mistake’ not backing Trump  (Read 1757 times)

A-Lert

Sessions: Ryan made ‘big mistake’ not backing Trump
« on: May 06, 2016, 09:15:56 am »
Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) on Thursday said that Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) flubbed by withholding his support from Donald Trump.

“I think this was a big mistake, I really do,” he said on Fox Business Network’s “Lou Dobbs Tonight." "I’m surprised, frankly, because he’d indicated that he would support whoever the nominee was.

“The Speaker of the House is a big leader and an important figure in the Republican Party. He calls on House members every day to stand with him in unity. He needs to set a good example for Republicans.”

Ryan on Thursday said that he would refrain from immediately supporting Trump, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee.

http://www.thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/278952-gop-senator-ryan-made-big-mistake-not-backing-trump

Offline Gov Bean Counter

Re: Sessions: Ryan made ‘big mistake’ not backing Trump
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 10:53:03 am »
Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) on Thursday said that Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) flubbed by withholding his support from Donald Trump.

“I think this was a big mistake, I really do,” he said on Fox Business Network’s “Lou Dobbs Tonight." "I’m surprised, frankly, because he’d indicated that he would support whoever the nominee was.

“The Speaker of the House is a big leader and an important figure in the Republican Party. He calls on House members every day to stand with him in unity. He needs to set a good example for Republicans.”

Ryan on Thursday said that he would refrain from immediately supporting Trump, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee.

http://www.thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/278952-gop-senator-ryan-made-big-mistake-not-backing-trump

Trump blew lotsa smoke up Jeff's behind by seeming to embrace some of his positions on trade and immigration. The little man with the big ego fell for it and has gone in full Trump. When this Trump thing goes south, Sessions  will be finished here in Alabama.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:03:22 am by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:55:56 am »
Every time I see Trump now I hear the theme from "The Sting" playing in my head...
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

A-Lert

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 10:56:27 am »
Trump blew lotsa smoke up Jeff's behind by seeming to embrace some of his positions on trade and immigration. The little man with the big ego fell for it and has gone in full Trump. When This Teump thing goes south, Sessions  will be finished here on Alabama.

Trump will win in a landslide over the vile, evil witch.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 11:18:01 am »
Trump's not the nominee,  he's only the presumptive nominee.    I see nothing unreasonable for Ryan to wait and see how Trump pivots now that the primary battles are over.   Will he seek to reconcile with the supporters of all the good Republicans he trashed?   Or will he continue to say this isn't about the GOP, it's about him?   

Despite all the evidence to the contrary,  the delegates to the convention decide who is the nominee,  and they do not have to accept political suicide.   The quick departures by Cruz and Kasich present an opportunity for Trump,  but they also allow the party the time to think long and hard before the convention about what it has wrought - including for a NeverTrump movement to metastasize around a third party candidate.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:47:47 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 11:24:43 am »
Trump's not the nominee,  he's only the presumptive nominee.    I see nothing unreasonable for Ryan to wait and see how Trump pivots now that the primary battles are over.   Will he seek to reconcile with the supporters of all the good Republicans he trashed?   Or will he continue to say he this isn't about the GOP, it's about him?   

Despite all the evidence to the contrary,  the delegates to the convention decide who is the nominee,  and they do not have to accept political suicide.   The quick departures by Cruz and Kasich present an opportunity for Trump,  but they also allow the party the time to think long and hard before the convention about what it has wrought - including for a NeverTrump movement to metastasize around a third party candidate.   

QFT
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 12:03:14 pm »
I liked what Louie Gohmert said, that Trump needs to issue a few apologies before he would consider endorsing him.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 12:20:33 pm »
Well, let's see.

The guy who used to have Ryan's job has publicly called Ted Cruz a son-of-a-bitch.

Somebody threw in the word lucifer as well.

Ted Cruz just dropped out of the race.

Ryan has a neon bullseye on his forehead.  So does Mitch McConnell and John McCain.

It doesn't get any better than this right here ...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 12:44:13 pm »
I liked what Louie Gohmert said, that Trump needs to issue a few apologies before he would consider endorsing him.

Sad thing is...Trump's already said that's not gonna happen.  4 million Conservatives sat home in 2012 when Willard was the nominee...I wonder how many million more will stay at home this year?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 12:57:49 pm »
Heard an interesting proposal this morning.

Get Ben Sasse to run third party.  Focus on Florida, Ohio, Colorado, Virginia and Michigan only. Win these and  this would deny Hillary the 270 she needs and throw the election into the House where Sasse would be elected easily.

Might work.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 12:58:23 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline kjam22

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 12:59:16 pm »

Get Ben Sasse to run third party.  Focus on Florida, Ohio, Colorado, Virginia and Michigan only. Win these and  this would deny Hillary the 270 she needs and throw the election into the House where Sasse would be elected easily.

Might work.

I like that idea.   
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 12:59:47 pm »
Sad thing is...Trump's already said that's not gonna happen.  4 million Conservatives sat home in 2012 when Willard was the nominee...I wonder how many million more will stay at home this year?

It's not just sad; it's stupid. Fact of the matter is, Trump lives in a rarefied atmosphere inhabited by the Masters of the Universe. At his core he is an elitist. This is not a judgement, it is a simple fact, based on his life story.

Now he can mouth the words that move the "masses". He is a keen observer of the culture and know how to push the proper hot buttons to elicit a predictable reaction. His time in the pro wrasslin' world was not wasted.

But, bottom line, the man's real life experience has absolutely nothing in common with that of the vast majority of his supporters life experience. In real life, when people are called out on boorish behavior, either they do apologize, or they endure the unpleasant consequences of doubling down on their boorishness.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 01:01:32 pm »

Might work.

Sowell has a column (there's a thread) advocating that. ALL options should remain open.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 01:03:02 pm »
It's not just sad; it's stupid. Fact of the matter is, Trump lives in a rarefied atmosphere inhabited by the Masters of the Universe. At his core he is an elitist. This is not a judgement, it is a simple fact, based on his life story.

Now he can mouth the words that move the "masses". He is a keen observer of the culture and know how to push the proper hot buttons to elicit a predictable reaction. His time in the pro wrasslin' world was not wasted.

But, bottom line, the man's real life experience has absolutely nothing in common with that of the vast majority of his supporters life experience. In real life, when people are called out on boorish behavior, either they do apologize, or they endure the unpleasant consequences of doubling down on their boorishness.

It would appear that Donny has decided to double down.  He seems to be operating under the mistaken belief that he'll get the same kind treatment from the MSM that he got in the primaries.

Those that don't learn from history...

Offline kjam22

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 01:04:12 pm »

Those proper buttons to push for many were racism and hatred.  For others anger.  And for some revenge.    That and the name calling is his candidacy wrapped up with a bow on it.
America needs God's forgiveness....... Even if Donald Trump doesn't think he does.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 01:52:37 pm »
Those proper buttons to push for many were racism and hatred.  For others anger.  And for some revenge.    That and the name calling is his candidacy wrapped up with a bow on it.

Years ago I started copying various racist posts that were allowed to stand at TOS with an intention of posting a vanity. I never followed through and now I regret my sloth and, yes, fear of being ostracized.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 02:37:59 pm »
Sessions may want to think about that line a bit more carefully in reference to Trump himself.

I liked what Louie Gohmert said; that he was waiting for a few apologies from Trump before he would consider an endorsement.

geronl

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 02:41:33 pm »
More implied threats.

"You don't know the power of the Trump Side!"

Just imagine an orange Darth Vader

geronl

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 02:43:39 pm »
Nah -- no chance.  You've got too many Trump supporters in those states to let anyone like Sasse get a plurality.  Maybe you get, at best, 30% Sasse, 25% Donald, 45% Hillary.  A third party run guarantees a Hillary win.  Plus, a third party run is going to lead Trump to encourage his supporters not to vote GOP down-ticket, which would be a disaster.

1. Who care if Trump or Hillary wins, same diff. Heck she might be more conservative.

2. His supporters aren't good at voting down-ticket anyway.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 02:53:23 pm »
Nah -- no chance.  You've got too many Trump supporters in those states to let anyone like Sasse get a plurality.  Maybe you get, at best, 30% Sasse, 25% Donald, 45% Hillary.  A third party run guarantees a Hillary win.  Plus, a third party run is going to lead Trump to encourage his supporters not to vote GOP down-ticket, which would be a disaster.

Those are reasonable concerns,  although IMO a Clinton victory is guaranteed whether or not there's a third party bid.   I think maybe the best approach for NeverTrumps, especially in non-swing states, is  to rally around the Libertarian Party nominee.  I would love to see Gary Johnson seize the moment and really impress liberty-centric conservatives with a responsible pitch to support a pragmatic libertarian agenda.   Since the Libertarians are already an established party (and on the ballot in most states),  this would be less likely to goad Trump into encouraging supporters not to vote down-ticket.  And, if the Libertarians can get 20 -25% of the vote (which I think is possible),  they might establish themselves as a viable future alternative to the major parties.   That may encourage Libertarians to ditch some of the wild-eyed stuff and try to assemble the kind of coalition that can actually win elections.     
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:54:17 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

A-Lert

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 07:11:31 pm »

8bs8

Online libertybele

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 07:15:21 pm »
Trump will win in a landslide over the vile, evil witch.

We have a vile, evil witch vs. a vile, evil narcissistic demagogue.  I believe the witch will win over the narcissistic demagogue.

#NeverTrump
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

A-Lert

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 07:31:32 pm »
We have a vile, evil witch vs. a vile, evil narcissistic demagogue.  I believe the witch will win over the narcissistic demagogue.

#NeverTrump

You can ride the Trump tsunami or flounder in the sea of tears.

Texas GOP Starts To Rally Behind Trump As Nominee

By Patrick Svitek Texas Tribune • 22 hours ago

Online libertybele

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 07:40:50 pm »
You can ride the Trump tsunami or flounder in the sea of tears.

Texas GOP Starts To Rally Behind Trump As Nominee

By Patrick Svitek Texas Tribune • 22 hours ago

You'll believe in the Trump tsunami right up until the time Hillary wins or Trump makes POTUS and veers further to the left than Hillary.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

A-Lert

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 08:17:33 pm »
You'll believe in the Trump tsunami right up until the time Hillary wins or Trump makes POTUS and veers further to the left than Hillary.

Trump will win by a landslide over the vile, evil witch. Then with the cooperation of congress and the support of the American people, his administration will right the sinking ship of state. :patriot: