Author Topic: Ryan Can Not Support Trump  (Read 2199 times)

Offline LonestarDream

Ryan Can Not Support Trump
« on: May 05, 2016, 08:25:33 pm »
Paul Ryan says he is not ready to support or endorse presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump. In an interview with CNN's Jake Tapper on Thursday, Ryan said it is possible for the party to be unified but not at the current moment.

"You have said that you will support the Republican nominee. Now you have a nominee, Donald Trump. will you support him?" Tapper asked.

"Well, to be perfectly can did with you, I'm not ready to do that yet. I am not there right now. I hope to and want to. What's required is that we unify the party... I do not want to underplay what he accomplished. He needs to be congratulated for winning the delegates, but he inherited something special," Ryan said.

"So you're saying that you can't support or endorse him right now?" Tapper asked.

"I am basically saying that," Ryan answered.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/05/05/paul_ryan_i_cannot_support_donald_trump.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:28:03 pm by LonestarDream »
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline sinkspur

Re: Ryan Can Not Support Trump
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:34:33 pm »
Two wings of the GOP:  the Trump wing, and the Ryan wing. 

Hold fast, Paul.  There's no reason to support Trump right now (or ever, for me).
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:42:32 pm »
Rich Lowry ‏@RichLowry  3m3 minutes ago
exceptionally bold to do what ryan just did, even w/ the caveats: he's the speaker of the house declining to endorse the party's nominee

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:42:55 pm »

Hold fast, Paul.  There's no reason to support Trump right now (or ever, for me).

I can't really say I'm a huge Ryan fan after the whole Nancy Pelosi singing his praises debacle, but in this case he is right on the money.  It is not about a man.  It is about principles.  Conservative principles.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:54:35 pm »
The part of that article that matters most....here below.
 I hope to and want to.

Its just a matter of time. He's using a tactic designed to bring other voters along with him. Stall a bit, let time heal the open wounds, and then rally around the candidate at the convention for the good of the party...and to defeat the real danger to the country, Mrs. Clinton.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:06:05 pm »
The part of that article that matters most....here below.
 I hope to and want to.

Its just a matter of time. He's using a tactic designed to bring other voters along with him. Stall a bit, let time heal the open wounds, and then rally around the candidate at the convention for the good of the party...and to defeat the real danger to the country, Mrs. Clinton.

No.  He represents a huge chunk of the party that will not get behind Trump.  He wants to unite the party and knows Trump can't do it.  Ryan staked his career on entitlement reform and Trump has said he will not touch entitlements.  I suspect Trump is going to have to come to him on Social Security.

Ryan is just as important as Trump; he leads one half of an entire branch of government.  This is a shot across Trump's bow that he doesn't run the party.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:17:55 pm »
No.  He represents a huge chunk of the party that will not get behind Trump.  He wants to unite the party and knows Trump can't do it.  Ryan staked his career on entitlement reform and Trump has said he will not touch entitlements.  I suspect Trump is going to have to come to him on Social Security.

Ryan is just as important as Trump; he leads one half of an entire branch of government.  This is a shot across Trump's bow that he doesn't run the party.

If this Trump thing turns south my Senator Sessions' career in Alabama is over. Savage's radio program is over. Several other politicians and radio/TV hosts are ruined. I don't get it. Why invest in such a high risk individual?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:19:35 pm by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline r9etb

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 09:21:07 pm »

I'd like to think this is a principled position on Ryan's part.  He's a canny politician -- it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 09:24:42 pm »
I don't get it. Why invest in such a high risk individual?

Because even smart people can and do fall for things like Nigerian banking scams and charlatan populists.  They're exciting and seem like a good investment at the time.  (I once had a car like that....)

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 09:31:56 pm »
If this Trump thing turns south my Senator Sessions' career in Alabama is over. Savage's radio program is over. Several other politicians and radio/TV hosts are ruined. I don't get it. Why invest in such a high risk individual?

I don't get it either.  Lots of people have staked their futures on this guy. Sean Hannity will be reduced to doing a weekend show when Trump loses.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 10:31:33 pm »
I don't get it either.  Lots of people have staked their futures on this guy. Sean Hannity will be reduced to doing a weekend show when Trump loses.

I guess it goes to motivation. Why would a person who has so much money and power already put himself and his family thru what a person running for president goes thru. Hes 70, a Billionaire, already has political power with his donations to politicians. Yet hes working very hard  to get elected. Why?

IMHO its because hes old. He sees the path America is on and wants a legacy and secure country for his family after hes gone. The one thing pretty much everybody says is he has a big ego. What is he known best for in his business? Turning around failing businesses. If he can turn around America it would be the biggest ego boost, feather in his cap of his life. I see his motivation is his ego, and his goals coincide with mine. Turning around America and making it more secure for the family.

One cannot say hes driven by wealth and power. he already has that. What else is there to drive him so hard?
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 10:37:16 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/278928-trump-punches-back-im-not-ready-to-support-ryans-agenda

May 05, 2016, 05:55 pm
Trump punches back: I'm not ready to support Ryan's agenda

By Elliot Smilowitz

Donald Trump says he’s not ready to support House Speaker Paul Ryan’s agenda — a pointed counterpunch after Ryan criticized the presumptive GOP presidential nominee.

“I am not ready to support Speaker Ryan's agenda,” Trump said in a statement Thursday.

“Perhaps in the future we can work together and come to an agreement about what is best for the American people. They have been treated so badly for so long that it is about time for politicians to put them first!"

Earlier Thursday, the Wisconsin Republican told CNN he’s “not ready” to back his party’s presumptive nominee.

“I hope to, though, and I want to,” he said. “But what is required is to unify this party. And the bulk of the burden on unifying the party will have to come from our presumptive nominee.”

Trump's ascendancy has created rifts in the GOP, with many Republicans refusing to back the business mogul.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 10:37:30 pm »
DONALD J. TRUMP RESPONDS TO SPEAKER PAUL RYAN

"I am not ready to support Speaker Ryan's agenda. Perhaps in the future we can work together and come to an agreement about what is best for the American people. They have been treated so badly for so long that it is about time for politicians to put them first!"

Donald J. Trump

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-statement-on-paul-ryan
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 10:40:26 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-primaries/278926-democrats-blast-ryan-over-refusal-to-back-trump-well-that-was

May 05, 2016, 05:38 pm
Dems blast Ryan over refusal to back Trump: 'Well, that was awkward'

By Harper Neidig

The Democratic Party seized on House Speaker Paul Ryan’s refusal to back Donald Trump on Thursday, slamming the GOP for refusing to accept its own presumptive presidential nominee.

“Well, that was awkward,” Democratic National Committee spokesman Mark Paustenbach said in a statement. “Paul Ryan — the highest-ranking Republican in the country, and chair of the Republican National Convention — just said he can’t support Dangerous Donald Trump’s nomination for president.”

Paustenbach added, "Bring a hazmat suit if you’re one of the remaining Republican leaders still planning to stand with your nominee – Trump has gone radioactive.”

Earlier on Thursday, Ryan told CNN that he was “not ready” to support Trump for president.

“I hope to, though, and I want to,” he said. “But what is required is to unify this party. And the bulk of the burden on unifying the party will have to come from our presumptive nominee.”

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee also blasted Ryan’s “cowardice” for refusing to confront the business mogul.

“‘Not there right now’ is just another one of the toothless statements that have become Ryan’s hallmark since becoming Speaker,” said DCCC spokeswoman Meredith Kelly in a statement. “For months, Paul Ryan refused to take on or rebuke Trump by name as he demeaned women, refused to disavow the KKK, or insulted Hispanics. Trump is now poised to accept the GOP’s nomination, and Ryan is scrambling because he knows what everyone else knows: Donald Trump is toxic for his own reputation, and for House Republicans. His cowardice veiled as bravery is too little, too late.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 10:44:21 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/278928-trump-punches-back-im-not-ready-to-support-ryans-agenda

May 05, 2016, 05:55 pm
Trump punches back: I'm not ready to support Ryan's agenda

By Elliot Smilowitz

Donald Trump says he’s not ready to support House Speaker Paul Ryan’s agenda — a pointed counterpunch after Ryan criticized the presumptive GOP presidential nominee.

“I am not ready to support Speaker Ryan's agenda,” Trump said in a statement Thursday.

“Perhaps in the future we can work together and come to an agreement about what is best for the American people. They have been treated so badly for so long that it is about time for politicians to put them first!"

Earlier Thursday, the Wisconsin Republican told CNN he’s “not ready” to back his party’s presumptive nominee.

Trump's ascendancy has created rifts in the GOP, with many Republicans refusing to back the business mogul.

Oh, good.  Now we've come to "I know you are, but what am I?"
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline aligncare

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 10:50:57 pm »
I guess it goes to motivation. Why would a person who has so much money and power already put himself and his family thru what a person running for president goes thru. Hes 70, a Billionaire, already has political power with his donations to politicians. Yet hes working very hard  to get elected. Why?

IMHO its because hes old. He sees the path America is on and wants a legacy and secure country for his family after hes gone. The one thing pretty much everybody says is he has a big ego. What is he known best for in his business? Turning around failing businesses. If he can turn around America it would be the biggest ego boost, feather in his cap of his life. I see his motivation is his ego, and his goals coincide with mine. Turning around America and making it more secure for the family.

One cannot say hes driven by wealth and power. he already has that. What else is there to drive him so hard?

You exactly echo my point of view. I'm an early booster of Donald Trump and I've been saying this forever. I believe Donald Trump wants to give back to the country he loves -- he's a great American patriot, and more importantly, after seeing America on the wrong track for so long he wants it finally done right!

And, after reading Mr. Trump's pitch-perfect response to Paul Ryan, I feel even more confident America has chosen the right man for the job.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 11:00:59 pm »

He's an egotistical narcissist and wants the big prize. It's not about America.  It's  about him, to him.

Trump doesn't give a rat's ass about you.

Offline Gov Bean Counter

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 11:04:03 pm »

What else is there to drive him so hard?

Narcissistic megalomania? Delusions of grandeur? God complex???

So many possibilities, so little time.
 :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:05:24 pm by Gov Bean Counter »
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline Kaslin

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 11:05:31 pm »

I agree completely, and someone must tell Trump that he does not the party.

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 11:06:27 pm »
He's an egotistical narcissist and wants the big prize. It's not about America.  It's  about him, to him.

Interestingly we mostly agree. As I said its about aligned goals. The only way I see him satisfying his ego is to turn around America as the biggest challenge/ego boost of his life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 02:44:56 am »
aligncare wrote above:
"And, after reading Mr. Trump's pitch-perfect response to Paul Ryan, I feel even more confident America has chosen the right man for the job."

Absolutely agreed.

Mr. Trump dispatched Paul Ryan's mealy mouth as quickly and cleanly as he did so with Vincente Fox on the O'Reilly show.

Shows that he can think on his feet and catch-n-return a thrown spear with aplomb.

How many months ago was it that the regular members here were castigating Ryan as just another business-as-usual politico in the mold of cryin' John Boehner?

But now -- since they've jumped on the anti-Trump carousel pony -- Ryan is the angel and Trump is the devil!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 02:52:07 am »
Kaslin wrote above (nice to see you here):
"I agree completely, and someone must tell Trump that he does not [run] the party."

I think you've missed the point.

From the start of his candidacy, Mr. Trump has never run as one who might claim to "run the Republican party".

Trump constitutes HIS OWN "party", not particularly answerable to those who DO "run" the Republican party.

He jumped on their merry-go-round and stole the brass ring from 'em.

Now it's time for the Pubbie politicos to decide whether they want to get on Mr. Trump's carousel and ride it to victory.

Or, keep clinging to their own ponies and ride them down to ....?

A-Lert

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 03:00:05 am »
He needs to be congratulated for winning the delegates, but he inherited something special," Ryan said.

Anybody have any idea what Ryan meant by "he inherited something special"?

A-Lert

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 03:01:07 am »

Which candidate gives a rat's ass about you?

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 05:32:48 am »

Your post above, is the single best example of projection I've ever witnessed. You just took hold of your innards and tossed them into outards!

Psychological gold!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 05:34:01 am by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain