Author Topic: Alabama: Alabama passes bill to close abortion clinics near schools ·  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
MONTGOMERY, Ala.

At least one Alabama abortion clinic will be forced to move under a bill the state Legislature passed Wednesday.

The House of Representatives voted 73-19 for the legislation in the final hours of the 2016 session, sending it to the governor.

The bill prohibits the Department of Public Health from issuing or renewing licenses for clinics within 2,000 feet of any K-8 public school. Proponents of the legislation say the bill is to safeguard school children from anti-abortion protests outside of clinics.

"I don't feel like these types of facilities need to be anywhere near our children," Republican Rep. Ed Henry said.

If signed into law, the legislation will shutter an existing Huntsville facility.

The Alabama Women's Center for Reproductive Alternatives was forced to close its doors in 2013 to comply with new facility restrictions on abortion providers. The center remained closed for nearly four months before moving to its current location near two schools.

More at:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article75737112.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:58:24 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Alabama passes bill to close abortion clinics near schools ·
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 06:52:32 pm »
MONTGOMERY, Ala.

At least one Alabama abortion clinic will be forced to move under a bill the state Legislature passed Wednesday.

The House of Representatives voted 73-19 for the legislation in the final hours of the 2016 session, sending it to the governor.

The bill prohibits the Department of Public Health from issuing or renewing licenses for clinics within 2,000 feet of any K-8 public school. Proponents of the legislation say the bill is to safeguard school children from anti-abortion protests outside of clinics.

"I don't feel like these types of facilities need to be anywhere near our children," Republican Rep. Ed Henry said.

If signed into law, the legislation will shutter an existing Huntsville facility.

The Alabama Women's Center for Reproductive Alternatives was forced to close its doors in 2013 to comply with new facility restrictions on abortion providers. The center remained closed for nearly four months before moving to its current location near two schools.

More at:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/national-politics/article75737112.html

Good, anything we can do to make them less profitable the better.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.