Author Topic: In reversal, Trump expresses openness to raising minimum wage  (Read 9000 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/278778-trump-expresses-openness-to-raising-minimum-wage

By Ben Kamisar - 05/04/16 06:16 PM EDT

In a reversal, Donald Trump expressed openness to raising the minimum wage during an interview on Wednesday.

“I'm looking at that, I'm very different from most Republicans,” Trump told CNN Wednesday about the prospect of raising the minimum wage.

“You have to have something you can live on. But what I 'm really looking to do is get people great jobs so they make much more money than that, much more money than the $15.”

The federal minimum wage is $7.25, but labor groups have been pushing for it to be raised to $15.

During a November debate, Trump voiced opposition to raising the mimimum wage.

“I hate to say it, but we have to leave it the way it is,” he said during the debate.

During a November appearance on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” Trump said the current minimum wage is too high and was slowing job growth.

"We have to become competitive with the world. Our taxes are too high, our wages are too high, everything is too high,” he said. “What's going to happen is now people are going to start firing people.”

On Wednesday, Trump did caution that lawmakers would have to be careful with raising the $7.25 minimum too miuch.

“If you start playing around too much with that lower level number, you are not going to be competitive,” he said, before reiterating that he's “open to doing something” with the federal minimum wage.

Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton backs a $12 minimum wage and has supported local attempts to push for $15 per hour, while Bernie Sanders supports a $15 federal minimum wage. 

Republicans at large are against raising that number. Rick Santorum is the only GOP presidential candidate who backed raising the minimum wage. Ben Carson briefly signaled openness before walking that back.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline The Jackal

• #nevertrump
Re: In reversal, Trump expresses openness to raising minimum wage
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:54:37 pm »
LOL! And the Bernie pivot begins.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 10:57:10 pm »
Gonzo politics

gon·zo
ˈɡänzō/
adjectiveNorth Americaninformal
adjective: gonzo

of or associated with journalistic writing of an exaggerated, subjective, and fictionalized style.
        bizarre or crazy.
        "the woman was either gonzo or stoned"

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 11:02:52 pm »
Economic illiteracy on display for all to see!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 11:10:38 pm »
By November the only thing distinguishing him from Hillary will be Orange hair and small hands...

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 11:11:32 pm »
Real estate mogul Donald Trump flatly opposed raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour during Tuesday night's Republican presidential debate, arguing that the country's wages are already "too high.",,,,,,,,,,"Taxes too high, wages too high," he later added. "We're not going to be able to compete against the world. I hate to say it, but we have to leave it the way it is. People have to go out, they have to work really hard and they have to get into that upper stratum. But we cannot do this if we are going to compete with the rest of the world. We just can't do it."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-wages-too-high

Yep. Trump begins the suck to the left.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:11:50 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 11:16:37 pm »

By November the only thing distinguishing him from Hillary will be Orange hair and small hands...

:silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline ScottinVA

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 11:19:03 pm »
And.. out comes Trump's inner progressive.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 11:23:49 pm »
Wow, that was fast..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 11:27:30 pm »
"I'm very different from most Republicans..."

Um, you don't say?
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 11:28:24 pm »
I read that as he wants to create good paying JOBS aka bring back manufacturing jobs which pay higher then minimum wage. Not raise Minimum wage.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 11:30:05 pm »

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 11:30:10 pm »
"But what I 'm really looking to do is get people great jobs so they make much more money than that, much more money than the $15." Thats not looking to raise the Minimum wage people. Holster that hatred please.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 11:30:59 pm »
He's got a lock on about 53% of Republicans. The rest he already said he doesn't need. Now he just has shift his positions to the left so he can bring in just enough Democrats to make it a real race.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 11:31:26 pm »
I read that as he wants to create good paying JOBS aka bring back manufacturing jobs which pay higher then minimum wage. Not raise Minimum wage.

“I'm looking at that, I'm very different from most Republicans,” Trump told CNN Wednesday about the prospect of raising the minimum wage.

“You have to have something you can live on.

Mechanicos, you really should stop. You're being embarrassed on every thread. Every single one. Of course Trump is considering raising the minimum wage.  That's WHAT HE SAID!!!

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 11:33:17 pm »
MW needs to be raised some..notice I said some.. The mw I earned in the late 1970's is about 10.50-11.00 today on the inflation calculator...plus I enjoyed time and half..no one on mw receives that today.

$10.00 would be  a good figure.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:34:15 pm by mirraflake »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 11:33:44 pm »

Did you even read it?    He said he was “open to doing something” with the federal minimum wage.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

A-Lert

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 11:34:07 pm »
On Wednesday, Trump did caution that lawmakers would have to be careful with raising the $7.25 minimum too miuch.

“If you start playing around too much with that lower level number, you are not going to be competitive,” he said, before reiterating that he's “open to doing something” with the federal minimum wage.

Common sense approach.

Offline gorush

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 11:34:56 pm »
LOL! And the Bernie pivot begins.
Well shut my mouth...didn't see THAT coming. /s

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 11:35:14 pm »
Did you even read it?    He said he was “open to doing something” with the federal minimum wage.

meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 11:35:31 pm »

“You have to have something you can live on.

Mechanicos, you really should stop. You're being embarrassed on every thread. Every single one. Of course Trump is considering raising the minimum wage.  That's WHAT HE SAID!!!

Holster the Trump Derangement Syndrome. Yes he is looking at bringing manufacturing back to the US from oversees that is very different from the Globalists who own the GOP. Get it. By creating high paying manufacturing jobs. Thats very different from Ctruz's owners.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 11:35:59 pm »
Wow, that was fast..

Wait until he backtracks on the wall.

Offline gorush

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 11:37:39 pm »
Wait until he backtracks on the wall.
He already did in his talk with the NYSlimes.

Offline bolobaby

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 11:39:12 pm »
Holster the Trump Derangement Syndrome. Yes he is looking at bringing manufacturing back to the US from oversees that is very different from the Globalists who own the GOP. Get it. By creating high paying manufacturing jobs. Thats very different from Ctruz's owners.

Trump would not bring a single manufacturing job back to the US.  He can't.  Tariffs would set off a trade war and tank the stock market.  Congress would step in shut off the tariffs.