Author Topic: Ted Cruz drops out of presidential race  (Read 68244 times)

A-Lert

Re: Ted Cruz drops out of presidential race
« Reply #675 on: May 08, 2016, 02:59:14 am »
Now Trump is rethinking raising taxes on the middle class-he can see that happening.  Deceptive Donald. Credibility??  :silly:

Where did you come up with that BS?

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-08-26/donald-trump-says-he-wants-to-raise-taxes-on-himself

"I would take carried interest out, and I would let people making hundreds of millions of dollars-a-year pay some tax, because right now they are paying very little tax and I think it's outrageous," Trump said. "I want to lower taxes for the middle class."
Donald Trump OK With Raising Taxes on Himself

Asked whether his proposed changes meant he was prepared to raise taxes on himself, the billionaire framed his answer in terms of fairness.

"That's right. That's right. I'm OK with it. You've seen my statements, I do very well, I don't mind paying some taxes. The middle class is getting clobbered in this country. You know the middle class built this country, not the hedge fund guys, but I know people in hedge funds that pay almost nothing and it's ridiculous, OK?"

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #676 on: May 08, 2016, 02:38:29 pm »
For Trump or Against Trump, it really doesn't matter from the fact that Cruz was carrying the original core values of the GOP.  Since the GOPe has abandoned those core values long ago and allowed Democrats to control their agenda, platform AND selection of their candidates via open primaries, it is the GOP that must go.  And if it is the liberal Trump as the standard bearer for the GOP, it proves my point and the GOP must go.  A replacement party for the once conservative GOP must raise up and stake its ground.  It has to get organized from local to national level.  The only one with the conservative values of a Ted Cruz is the Constitution Party.  The Conservative Party endorsed the Senator, but isn't organized with actual candidates in state and national elections.  The Constitution Party already had their convention and nominated some yeah who I've never hear of.

A vote for other than Trump or Hitlary does not necessarily make it a shoe-in for HER, if some other alternative can get organized in a short time period. 
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #677 on: May 09, 2016, 12:03:52 pm »
Really? A consummate liar, a big government liberal, anti-1st amendment, in favor of raising taxes on all imported goods, raising taxes on job creators, defaulting on the debt, and insulting his way to the presidency.

Trump is unfit for the presidency.  Period.

So Hillary it is....[noticing you provide no alternative]

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #678 on: May 09, 2016, 12:23:01 pm »
So Hillary it is....[noticing you provide no alternative]
Gary Johnson is preferable to either one of them.

Heck, Gary Johnson high on pot is preferable to either one of them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #679 on: May 09, 2016, 12:56:01 pm »

:amen:  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #680 on: May 09, 2016, 01:03:13 pm »

'cept Johnson doesn't have a chance in Hell. He's not even mentioned in the media.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #681 on: May 09, 2016, 01:05:20 pm »
'cept Johnson doesn't have a chance in Hell. He's not even mentioned in the media.

The only reason he doesn't have a chance is that the brainwashing has taken hold on people like you and you won't even look at him much less vote for him!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #682 on: May 09, 2016, 01:17:10 pm »
The only reason he doesn't have a chance is that the brainwashing has taken hold on people like you and you won't even look at him much less vote for him!

I certainly wouldn't vote for him either.  My brainwashing extends to trying to keep Hillary from finishing the job Obama started.  Crazy, huh?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #683 on: May 09, 2016, 01:18:34 pm »

A few months ago...neither would have you.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #684 on: May 09, 2016, 01:19:39 pm »
I certainly wouldn't vote for him either.  My brainwashing extends to trying to keep Hillary from finishing the job Obama started.  Crazy, huh?

Before all this started [like in 2008] I thought that was to be the goal? NO HILLARY!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #685 on: May 09, 2016, 01:23:12 pm »

How does stopping Hillary with a Hillary duplicate help anything?

I vote for the most conservative candidate appearing on my ballot! Always have and always will! This time around it appears that candidate will be the nominee of the Libertarian party!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #686 on: May 09, 2016, 01:25:45 pm »
A few months ago...neither would have you.

Probably true! But now  I'm forced to look elsewhere IF the Republicans go through with nominating Trump because I KNOW that Trump=Hillary!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #687 on: May 09, 2016, 02:27:18 pm »
How does stopping Hillary with a Hillary duplicate help anything?

I vote for the most conservative candidate appearing on my ballot! Always have and always will! This time around it appears that candidate will be the nominee of the Libertarian party!

To start with, unless you are tremendously prescient, you have only a feeling about how Trump would lead the government.  And just looking at their tax plans alone shows there would be very stark differences between the two.  I vote for a candidate who will embrace conservative principles, who will work realistically to enact initiatives benefiting the Country, who recognizes that succeeding requires not only the ability to negotiate, but to compromise at the end of the day.  And I also realize that the ability to win an election especially in these dangerous and rapidly changing times is imperative. 

There are those who refused to vote for McCain or Romney, and still gloat about it.  Nor will they vote for the GOP nominee this go-around.  That's what the right to vote is all about.  Even on the right side of the aisle, we have very different values and goals. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #688 on: May 09, 2016, 02:29:40 pm »
To start with, unless you are tremendously prescient, you have only a feeling about how Trump would lead the government.  And just looking at their tax plans alone shows there would be very stark differences between the two.  I vote for a candidate who will embrace conservative principles, who will work realistically to enact initiatives benefiting the Country, who recognizes that succeeding requires not only the ability to negotiate, but to compromise at the end of the day.  And I also realize that the ability to win an election especially in these dangerous and rapidly changing times is imperative. 

There are those who refused to vote for McCain or Romney, and still gloat about it.  Nor will they vote for the GOP nominee this go-around.  That's what the right to vote is all about.  Even on the right side of the aisle, we have very different values and goals.

How about we agree to disagree and you do what you have to do and I'll do what I have to do! How about that?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 02:39:46 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #689 on: May 09, 2016, 02:31:08 pm »
How about we agree to disagree and you do what you have to do and I'll do what I have to do! Ho9w about that?

I think that was my point at the end.   ^-^

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #690 on: May 09, 2016, 03:39:58 pm »
How about we agree to disagree and you do what you have to do and I'll do what I have to do! How about that?

I'll never address this subject with you again if you do the same. Deal?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #691 on: May 09, 2016, 03:41:29 pm »

I'll never address this subject with you again if you do the same. Deal?

That's fine with me but I'm going to keep right on trashing Trump at every opportunity!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #692 on: May 09, 2016, 04:07:38 pm »
But you're perfectly fine with Trump doing so, I take it? Or do you believe that R next to his name would insure he NEVER goes that far?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #693 on: May 09, 2016, 04:16:40 pm »
But you're perfectly fine with Trump doing so, I take it? Or do you believe that R next to his name would insure he NEVER goes that far?

I'm perfectly fine with Trump doing what exactly?  I don't think there's ever been a president who did everything I expected.  I'm far more confident that Hillary will not surprise us with moderate or conservative positions.  No one can realistically predict how Trump would lead.  I know what his promises are and I know what Hillary's are.  As opposed to the old maxim, I'll take the devil I don't know this time around.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #694 on: May 09, 2016, 04:21:07 pm »
New Mexico is a sparsely populated state, Gary Johnson is a great success story, starting out going door to door selling things and building up a big company, "Big J"; so I might consider him but I think the Libertarian Party platform is possibly even a bit liberal.

http://www.lp.org/platform

1.4 Personal Relationships
Sexual orientation, preference, gender, or gender identity should have no impact on the government's treatment of individuals, such as in current marriage, child custody, adoption, immigration or military service laws.

1.5 Abortion
Recognizing that abortion is a sensitive issue and that people can hold good-faith views on all sides, we believe that government should be kept out of the matter, leaving the question to each person for their conscientious consideration.

Then you toss in their view on legalizing all drugs per Ron Paul at the 2012 debates; and then, one can see, a Libertarian Candidate won't have a congress to work with, I'm unsure.

I know a lot of libertarians don't go along with redefining marriage and in fact, many things.

I like the Rand/Ron Paul view, leave things like abortion and indeed marriage up to the states, that's what the Constitution says, the Libertarian Party is not really espousing the Paul views on this.

I might go along with their view on International Affairs but in the past, it was thought they were even a bit weak on border security, this below reads better:

3.3 International Affairs

American foreign policy should seek an America at peace with the world. Our foreign policy should emphasize defense against attack from abroad and enhance the likelihood of peace by avoiding foreign entanglements. We would end the current U.S. government policy of foreign intervention, including military and economic aid. We recognize the right of all people to resist tyranny and defend themselves and their rights. We condemn the use of force, and especially the use of terrorism, against the innocent, regardless of whether such acts are committed by governments or by political or revolutionary groups.

3.4 Free Trade and Migration

We support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human as well as financial capital across national borders. However, we support control over the entry into our country of foreign nationals who pose a credible threat to security, health or property.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #695 on: May 09, 2016, 04:44:49 pm »
I'm perfectly fine with Trump doing what exactly?  I don't think there's ever been a president who did everything I expected.  I'm far more confident that Hillary will not surprise us with moderate or conservative positions.  No one can realistically predict how Trump would lead.  I know what his promises are and I know what Hillary's are.  As opposed to the old maxim, I'll take the devil I don't know this time around.

Here's what bothers me.

In both 2008 and 2012 I argued incessant that either McCain or Romney would pick better SCOTUS Justices than Obama, but many voters on our side refused to vote for either candidate in the GE. Had Romney been elected, I can make an easy argument that we wouldn't be where we are right now.

Many of the same people who then took a principled stand and refused to vote for either McCain or Romney, are today telling me that I should set my own principles aside and force myself to do what they refused to do, in the name of getting better SCOTUS Justices (AFTER Obama's two picks) out of fear that the Court will be hopelessly liberal if Clinton wins.

Are my principles less valuable than theirs somehow?

Here's what I have to say to those who put us here via their actions in 2008 and 2012:

"They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind."

#NeverTrump
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #696 on: May 09, 2016, 04:56:20 pm »
Here's what bothers me.

In both 2008 and 2012 I argued incessant that either McCain or Romney would pick better SCOTUS Justices than Obama, but many voters on our side refused to vote for either candidate in the GE. Had Romney been elected, I can make an easy argument that we wouldn't be where we are right now.

Many of the same people who then took a principled stand and refused to vote for either McCain or Romney, are today telling me that I should set my own principles aside and force myself to do what they refused to do, in the name of getting better SCOTUS Justices (AFTER Obama's two picks) out of fear that the Court will be hopelessly liberal if Clinton wins.

Are my principles less valuable than theirs somehow?

Here's what I have to say to those who put us here via their actions in 2008 and 2012:

"They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind."

#NeverTrump

Your arguments about McCain and Romney were correct.  It's the very same pragmatic argument many of us are making about Trump.  Yet I'm missing how you got to your conclusion from your argument?  Isn't it the "principled" no compromise #nevertrump group that took that position in '08 and '12?  I usually see the linkage, but I'm more than slow today...:pondering:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #697 on: May 09, 2016, 05:16:14 pm »
Your arguments about McCain and Romney were correct.  It's the very same pragmatic argument many of us are making about Trump.  Yet I'm missing how you got to your conclusion from your argument?  Isn't it the "principled" no compromise #nevertrump group that took that position in '08 and '12?  I usually see the linkage, but I'm more than slow today...:pondering:

What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

One more thing.

I am a Republican because that is the party that's best represented my political positions, my beliefs and ideals.

I've voted for Republicans because I've found things in GOP candidates that I can identify with, admire or wish to emulate.

Donald Trump's Republican Party represents nearly none of my political positions, or at least those positions that I've managed to understand or that have stayed put long enough to grow some kind of roots. The same goes for my beliefs and ideals.

I don't, in the least, identify with Trump.

I detest the way that he's run his campaign and by extension, who he is, and I have no wish to emulate him in any way.

If Trump is a representation of what the Republican Party is today, then I'm not a Republican, and I have zero issues with not voting for the Republican candidate.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #698 on: May 09, 2016, 05:19:20 pm »

One more thing.

I am a Republican because that is the party that's best represented my political positions, my beliefs and ideals.

I've voted for Republicans because I've found things in GOP candidates that I can identify with, admire or wish to emulate.

Donald Trump's Republican Party represents nearly none of my political positions, or at least those positions that I've managed to understand or that have stayed put long enough to grow some kind of roots. The same goes for my beliefs and ideals.

I detest the way that he's run his campaign and by extension, who he is, and I have no wish to emulate him in any way.

If Trump is a representation of what the Republican Party is today, then I'm not a Republican, and I have zero issues with not voting for the Republican candidate.

:amen:  The very instant the Republican Party hands the keys to the kingdom over to Trump is the instant  I and my money leave!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #699 on: May 09, 2016, 05:22:13 pm »

One more thing.

So, is this your farewell?