Author Topic: Just realised a big reason I won't miss Free Republic  (Read 9126 times)

Offline Wistful

Just realised a big reason I won't miss Free Republic
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:24:04 am »
One of the things I liked about Free Republic was the diversity of opinion.

Sometimes I would read a news item or an opinion piece in the MSM or elsewhere and think, "there is something wrong with that" without actually being able to put my finger on what the exact problem was.

So then I'd go to FR and look through the topics, and sure enough I'd find a discussion going on on the same issue and there would be someone expressing the same concern I had and there would be someone else answering that concern.

It was a great path to learning about an issue. From all sides.

At the moment I am most interested in  the battle for the Republican nomination. If I read something from either party, I would normally be going to FR to check out the different views.

Except that nowadays, I know that is pointless. No good at all in going to FR for a variety of views on that particular issue. FR is being censored and controlled worse than any LW site and its a shocking thing to behold. All the goodwill built up over the years destroyed in one futile display of arrogance, intolerance and intellectual cowardice.

Great I have discovered the Briefing Room. When I want what I used to get at FR, I come here.

Nothing like the free enterprise system, freedom of speech and competition. Long may those principles exist.

Shame that the site that once stood for them for so long has succumbed, and now provides an environment almost Stalinist in nature.

Rock on the Briefing Room.

FR, that I supported for 16 years, can die in its own excrement. And good riddance to a place that treats loyalty with such contempt.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:25:06 am by Wistful »

Bill Cipher

Re: Just realised a big reason I won't miss Free Republic
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 02:27:39 am »
:thumbsup:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:14:02 pm »
Used to be a time that if one was wrong or incorrect, more insightful/knowledgeable folks would correct you.

I learned some time ago that TOS now has devolved into such a soundbite type site that little, if any edification/education is going on.

Aviation related articles are a case in point in my case.  Anymore, I don't dare post anything factual that is related to military aviation that is contrary to public OPINION.  Folks have their minds made up and aren't interested in learning.

I went there because there were more informed, smarter and educated people than me.  That I could learn from them and pay it forward in my own small sphere of influence.

Now?  Not so much.

Many of those smart folks have either left or gone underground...sigh, such a waste.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:19:09 pm »
Well said. :thumbsup:

Offline PinkFlipFlops

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 01:32:31 pm »
With great sadness I left FR. If you don't worship Trump you are now persona non grata over there. I joined FR during the Clinton years. Was never a prolific poster but found comfort reading like minded opinions to my own but also seeing intelligent counter ops. Glad I stumbled on TBR. Looking forward to hanging with you!  :beer:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:10:36 pm »
With great sadness I left FR. If you don't worship Trump you are now persona non grata over there. I joined FR during the Clinton years. Was never a prolific poster but found comfort reading like minded opinions to my own but also seeing intelligent counter ops. Glad I stumbled on TBR. Looking forward to hanging with you!  :beer:
@PinkFlipFlops

Welcome pff...

it's really getting bad...no dissent, differing opinions or discussion allowed.   :nono:

It's all "settled". 
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Wingnut

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:15:27 pm »
 :patriot:

Offline gorush

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:32:21 pm »
I asked a Trump supporter if she was wearing a "brown shirt" in a post, comparing 1930's Germany to America today in terms of the nationalism that Trump is exploiting. Turns out she was black (says so in her screen name). Apparently she was ignorant of history and took my post as racist. I attempted to set the record straight but my defense was deleted by the moderators. I know how that city councilman that used the word "niggardly" feels. It then became a feeding frenzy and I am now the worst person in the world.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:33:52 pm by gorush »

Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 10:53:50 pm »
I asked a Trump supporter if she was wearing a "brown shirt" in a post, comparing 1930's Germany to America today in terms of the nationalism that Trump is exploiting. Turns out she was black (says so in her screen name). Apparently she was ignorant of history and took my post as racist. I attempted to set the record straight but my defense was deleted by the moderators. I know how that city councilman that used the word "niggardly" feels. It then became a feeding frenzy and I am now the worst person in the world.

Several years ago in Dallas commissioner John Wiley Price came unglued when another commissioner used the term "Black Hole" in context to the discussion at hand.   John Wiley got all puffed up and went off saying Black Hole is racest and things such as:
"So if it's 'angel food cake,' it's white. If it's 'devil's food cake,' it's black. If you're the 'black sheep of the family,' then you gotta be bad, you know. 'White sheep,' you're okay. You know?" Price said.

Price said people should watch their words when it comes to stereotypes.

"I think people should always be careful. You know, I'm okay if I'm 'bartering' with you. ... But if I try to 'Jew you down,' Oooooh. Is that racist? I thought it meant the same thing? No, maybe it doesn't."

Offline gorush

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 10:57:09 pm »
It is only because I am old that I can say that this election cycle is entertaining. It is a good time to be old. I passed through the five stages of grief years ago. Yet I still fought for Cruz. Hope springs eternal.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:58:56 pm by gorush »

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 11:52:28 pm »

@gorush

I wish I could point you to the point you to the post where I read this, but it's somewhere in the middle of those really long threads and it's impossible to find.  You are talking about BlackFemaleArmyCaptain.  She has been outed here.  Seems she is female, but is not black and has never been in the military.  Apparently she put together every protected class in a screen name so she can scream racism or anti-military or war on women, etc.  You were probably winning the argument so she jumped on the "brown" shirt comment to pull the race card to put you on the defensive.

Offline gorush

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 11:59:59 pm »
@gorush

I wish I could point you to the point you to the post where I read this, but it's somewhere in the middle of those really long threads and it's impossible to find.  You are talking about BlackFemaleArmyCaptain.  She has been outed here.  Seems she is female, but is not black and has never been in the military.  Apparently she put together every protected class in a screen name so she can scream racism or anti-military or war on women, etc.  You were probably winning the argument so she jumped on the "brown" shirt comment to pull the race card to put you on the defensive.
I suspected that...that screen name just screams "Kneel before me"

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 07:50:15 pm »
I suspected that...that screen name just screams "Kneel before me"

I forget her full name, but her first name is Pamela.  Apparently humblegunner is on to her (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3421661/posts?page=11#11 ).  I wonder how many other people at TOS are on to her and letting her get by with ID fraud?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 11:38:45 am »
To: humblegunner

black
Female
Army
Captain

.speaks volumes about the poster!

Entitled
Entitled
Entitled
...And you must give in to me because I am in authority and entire to your respect

All I need to know.

Only things missing...
Pregnant
Wounded vet
Handicapped
Vertically challenged
Blind
And autistic transgenderconfusedlesbianpolysexual

That would essentially fill out the entitlement card

151 posted on 04/16/2016 5:10:07 PM PDT by woollyone (next narcissist in chief might be Tump and America will get what she deserves. Then...war will come)
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3421661/posts?page=151#151
Poster predictably attacked for the above at
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3421661/posts?page=156#156
Pretty much sums up the whole PSYOP screen name.

I forget her full name, but her first name is Pamela.  Apparently humblegunner is on to her (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3421661/posts?page=11#11 ).  I wonder how many other people at TOS are on to her and letting her get by with ID fraud?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 12:25:49 pm »
One of the things I liked about Free Republic was the diversity of opinion.

Sometimes I would read a news item or an opinion piece in the MSM or elsewhere and think, "there is something wrong with that" without actually being able to put my finger on what the exact problem was.

So then I'd go to FR and look through the topics, and sure enough I'd find a discussion going on on the same issue and there would be someone expressing the same concern I had and there would be someone else answering that concern.

It was a great path to learning about an issue. From all sides.

At the moment I am most interested in  the battle for the Republican nomination. If I read something from either party, I would normally be going to FR to check out the different views.

Except that nowadays, I know that is pointless. No good at all in going to FR for a variety of views on that particular issue. FR is being censored and controlled worse than any LW site and its a shocking thing to behold. All the goodwill built up over the years destroyed in one futile display of arrogance, intolerance and intellectual cowardice.

Great I have discovered the Briefing Room. When I want what I used to get at FR, I come here.

Nothing like the free enterprise system, freedom of speech and competition. Long may those principles exist.

Shame that the site that once stood for them for so long has succumbed, and now provides an environment almost Stalinist in nature.

Rock on the Briefing Room.

FR, that I supported for 16 years, can die in its own excrement. And good riddance to a place that treats loyalty with such contempt.

Unfortunately, what you just described is exactly what happened here at GOP briefing room.

Opinions here were once varied and exchanged respectfully and with good cheer toward others.

But once Donald Trump entered the race, any support or even mention of him, brought out hordes of posters hurling non-stop insults toward Trump and -- here's the bad part -- and personally against his supporters.

Many Trump supporters began noticing that dissimilar civility rules applied to them. Many felt hounded and began leaving, including myself.

As I look around these pages now, I see very little balance. There are just a handful of Trump supporters left. This has become an anti-Trump website, with most of the recent explosive growth coming from free republic, where the same thing happened only in reverse, with Cruz supporters feeling put upon.

So, if that's what you're looking for in political discussion -- an echo chamber. Then, welcome to TBR!

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 01:56:28 pm »

It doesn't really matter.  It only matters if JR thinks so.  Totalitarian dictators rule.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 02:57:54 pm »
Unfortunately, what you just described is exactly what happened here at GOP briefing room.

Opinions here were once varied and exchanged respectfully and with good cheer toward others.

But once Donald Trump entered the race, any support or even mention of him, brought out hordes of posters hurling non-stop insults toward Trump and -- here's the bad part -- and personally against his supporters.

Many Trump supporters began noticing that dissimilar civility rules applied to them. Many felt hounded and began leaving, including myself.

As I look around these pages now, I see very little balance. There are just a handful of Trump supporters left. This has become an anti-Trump website, with most of the recent explosive growth coming from free republic, where the same thing happened only in reverse, with Cruz supporters feeling put upon.

So, if that's what you're looking for in political discussion -- an echo chamber. Then, welcome to TBR!

I have been thinking about this post all morning.

Let me respond.

I and the MODS went out of our way to accommodate Cruz and Trump supporters. We answered countless post reports from both groups.

TBR could not help the fact that the majority here supported other candidates other than Trump.

Several Trump supporters left, including you.. Why didn't you stay?..instead you went to FR a place you condemned here for many years. Many of your friends here sent you countless emails to please return, we would work it out some way...you ignored all of us.

So now you come back here and bad mouth TBR which was your home for many years..and friends who cared and loved you....sad

That's all I have to say

Nancy
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 03:03:35 pm »
The racism and stormfront lite has really hurt FR.   2-3 threads yesterday about the tow truck operator not towing the stranded motorist was wicked...and those people claim to be Christian.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 03:24:48 pm »
The racism and stormfront lite has really hurt FR.   2-3 threads yesterday about the tow truck operator not towing the stranded motorist was wicked...and those people claim to be Christian.

True; the Putinista types as well and Putin disinformation as well though, I have heard some of those folks have been zotted too; I personally don't know.  I hesitate even calling it Russian propaganda because it is Russian media propaganda but does not represent a lot of Russians, maybe some.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 03:43:13 pm »
I was reading a thread with BFAC once, and all of a sudden, all of her replies were Bible-thumper type replies, not to be negative on that and there is nothing wrong with that generally.  It just didn't really fit into the political thread that well meaning to start tossing out what seem to be random Bible verses; I wonder where that came from?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:45:43 pm by TomSea »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 03:44:10 pm »

@aligncare

But see, you get to make a choice to stay or go.  At TOS you had 3 choices; support Trump, go silent, get the zot.  And the sniping and outright acrimony is still evident and occurring even post "truce" speech from JR.

I much prefer the choices available here and the quality of discussion is orders of magnitude higher than TOS, even if you disagree with another.

There's the few shots here and there, but overall, a much more pleasant atmosphere.

So yes, I understand your lamentations about what you perceive to have happened here.  But also understand many of us newcomers are going through the same with regards to TOS.   And not all the newcomers are on board with Trump either...some left TOS due to the change in atmosphere and conduct over there.

Peace,
SZ

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 04:49:42 pm »

Say that at TOS (but change it from Trump to Cruz) and you will get banned.  Yet, here, you were allowed to say it and you still have an account.  Big difference.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 05:22:09 pm »
I have been thinking about this post all morning.

Let me respond.

I and the MODS went out of our way to accommodate Cruz and Trump supporters. We answered countless post reports from both groups.

TBR could not help the fact that the majority here supported other candidates other than Trump.

Several Trump supporters left, including you.. Why didn't you stay?..instead you went to FR a place you condemned here for many years. Many of your friends here sent you countless emails to please return, we would work it out some way...you ignored all of us.

So now you come back here and bad mouth TBR which was your home for many years..and friends who cared and loved you....sad

That's all I have to say

Nancy

@mystery-ak and everyone.

I was on FR and to be honest, I still read and will comment on the non political forums. I like the pet and the Apple forums, the silly ones and the Waffle House ones.

I just don't like the attacks. I don't care if it was with candidate A and candidate B or candidate Y and candidate Z. I was under the impression that since we have a lame duck president we need to unite to bring in a Republican.

I was looking forward to this election. I even put off major surgery so I could work the polls on our primary day next month.  What I didn't like is how adults I looked up to and respected all turned into children on the playground and brought out their absolute worst.

Yes, I'm not a fan of Trump, but I treated those who I disagreed with with respect. You do that. That is what adults do. But this whole election has transmogrified into something so ugly it scares me.

I haven't seen the ugliness here yet, I've seen adults having discourse with other adults. I hope it stays that way here, and I am grateful for @rodamala and @Silver Pines telling me about this place. Thank you.   
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 11:18:56 pm »
Freya, I hope you and all of our new members stick around, longterm. There certainly is no expectation that this is the only discussion forum you'll visit!

But if you want to discuss current events and politics without being required to adhere to a particular point of view, this is the place. I love that the only requirement here is that posters are not rude to one another. It doesn't matter who you'll vote for in November. No group here ever has been treated with less respect than another. We're all adults and it's a good thing to discuss the issues and learn from one another.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LMAO

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 03:55:33 am »

It's reflected in the snail's pace of their Freep a thon
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy