Author Topic: Robert Gates: Worried Trump 'Doesn't Appear to Listen to People'  (Read 927 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=726651

Newsmax
Robert Gates: Worried Trump 'Doesn't Appear to Listen to People'
Sunday, May 1, 2016 11:33 AM

By: Cathy Burke

By Cathy Burke

Ex-Defense Secretary Robert Gates says Donald Trump's foreign policy speech last week showed the GOP front-runner doesn't understand the difference between finagling business deals and negotiating with "sovereign powers."

In an interview on ABC's "This Week with George Stephanopolous" on Sunday, Gates asserts "there's a give and take in international relations that is different than in the business community."

"Based on the speech, you have somebody who doesn't understand the difference between a business negotiation and a negotiation with sovereign powers," Gates said.

"He, on the one hand says, we need to be a more reliable ally to our friends. And in the next breath, he says we're going to rip up all those burden-sharing agreements and make them go their own way if they don't pay for everything."

Gates concedes America's allies "ought to be doing more."

"But how do you get them there when you're dealing with 28 sovereign countries?" he said.

Gates adds "many foreign leaders" have voiced concerns about a Trump presidency as well, ticking off "his unpredictability, his lack of understanding of the complexity of international affairs, his threats, his claims that he's going to make other countries do things when, in fact, the president of the United States does not have the power to make them do things."

But it's not just Trump's foreign policy that's troubling, Gates asserts.

"One of the things that worries me is that he doesn't appear to listen to people," he said. "He believes he has all the answers. That he's the smartest man in the room. I've worked with different presidents. Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, Barack Obama.

"One thing they all had in common was to listen to people with experience and made their own independent decisions. They've gone in different directions — but never assumed they have all the answers."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Robert Gates: Worried Trump 'Doesn't Appear to Listen to People'
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 11:17:22 pm »
Gates adds "many foreign leaders" have voiced concerns about a Trump presidency as well, ticking off "his unpredictability, his lack of understanding of the complexity of international affairs, his threats, his claims that he's going to make other countries do things when, in fact, the president of the United States does not have the power to make them do things."

But it's not just Trump's foreign policy that's troubling, Gates asserts.

"One of the things that worries me is that he doesn't appear to listen to people," he said. "He believes he has all the answers. That he's the smartest man in the room.

My concerns as well. Since he didn't bother to learn how the primaries/caucuses/conventions were run or spend the time and energy to set up a ground game in every State, I doubt he is competent to run a nation. Building a hotel does not qualify him to be POTUS.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:23:34 pm »
Trump told Chris Wallace this morning that "I am my own best strategist."

That ought to scare the hell out of every single American.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:18:36 am »
Trump told Chris Wallace this morning that "I am my own best strategist."

That ought to scare the hell out of every single American.
He also has a good brain, consults with himself and says a lot of things, dontcha know? His incoherence is breath-taking.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 12:53:28 am »
Gates summed things up very accurately; " Donald Trump's foreign policy speech last week showed the GOP front-runner doesn't understand the difference between finagling business deals and negotiating with "sovereign powers."

He will be a disaster, he will be worse than Hilary. Trump doesn't have a clue!

#Never Trump
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.