Author Topic: Large graffiti carved into famous red rock at Arches National Park in Utah  (Read 666 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/28/large-graffiti-carved-into-famous-red-rock-at-arches-national-park-in-utah.html

SALT LAKE CITY –  Rangers at Utah's Arches National Park were investigating large graffiti Thursday that was carved so deeply into a famous red rock arch that it might be impossible to erase, officials said.

The carvings discovered earlier this month measure about 4 feet across and 3 feet high, park Superintendent Kate Cannon said.

The vandalism is part of a "tidal wave of graffiti" at Arches and other national parks in recent years, she said.

Two years ago, at least eight national parks in the West began the delicate task of cleaning up graffiti-like paintings left on famous, picturesque landscapes. The damage was discovered after images were shared on social media.

The Arches rock formation, commonly known as Frame Arch, is off a popular hiking trail where visitors can look through it and view the park's iconic, stand-alone Delicate Arch.

[excerpt]
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline kidd

Arches is one of my favorite parks

Some people are real pigs

Offline Relic

Just another sign of how sick our society has become.

Offline OldSaltUSN

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/28/large-graffiti-carved-into-famous-red-rock-at-arches-national-park-in-utah.html

SALT LAKE CITY –  Rangers at Utah's Arches National Park were investigating large graffiti Thursday that was carved so deeply into a famous red rock arch that it might be impossible to erase, officials said.

The carvings discovered earlier this month measure about 4 feet across and 3 feet high, park Superintendent Kate Cannon said.

The vandalism is part of a "tidal wave of graffiti" at Arches and other national parks in recent years, she said.

Two years ago, at least eight national parks in the West began the delicate task of cleaning up graffiti-like paintings left on famous, picturesque landscapes. The damage was discovered after images were shared on social media.

The Arches rock formation, commonly known as Frame Arch, is off a popular hiking trail where visitors can look through it and view the park's iconic, stand-alone Delicate Arch.

[excerpt]

Well (putting on his tin foil hat), if the graffiti was pro-Trump, pro-Cruz, anti-Hillary or Bernie, or maybe, pro-militia (e.g. pro-Constitution), do you all think that maybe the news story would include that information?

On the other hand, if the graffiti was "MS13", or "Feel the Burn", "Climate Deniers are Racists!", or other such ..um.. political message, I"d bet that the message would be quoted, photographed, on cable news and above  the fold on every newpaper that mattered.

/end tin foil hat comments

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

A few short years ago, a rock formation in Utah was intentionally damaged by some white guys, taking their sons out scouting or something along those lines.

Damage to our beautiful national sites, might be ethnic, political, but in this case it was plain stupid, irresponsible, and an awful example for something supposedly like scouting.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

Yes, it is. Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder whether the last few generations haven't been raised by wolves or something.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rodrigo

Years ago, I saw a photo of El Morro in New Mexico.  There was graffiti carved all over the rock.

When I visited there several years back, I noticed all the non historical graffiti gone, but you could tell where the grinding tools had scraped the stone.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I remember seeing graffiti carved into the Colosseum in Rome, when I went there a few years ago. Same reaction.

A-Lert

No one noticed it while it was being executed?