Author Topic: Ted Cruz's Indiana plan: Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Ted Cruz's Indiana plan: Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks
By Theodore Schleifer and Eric Bradner, CNN; Apr 28, 2016

Indianapolis, Indiana (CNN) — Ted Cruz, having been trounced by Donald Trump in six consecutive states, has gone from banking on an Indiana win to facing a campaign collapse without one.

The surreal elevation of Carly Fiorina to his presidential ticket on Wednesday was the latest sign of Cruz's increasingly narrow path to the Republican nomination, a campaign that is depending on a series of desperate attempts to widen it ever so slightly. Cruz's campaign is throwing a variety of messages against the wall here, hoping something will stick, and also reviving the labor-intensive ground games that helped it win Iowa and Wisconsin.

If the campaign can flip a race trending against it and live to fight to California, then maybe, the theory goes, it can draw the inside straight needed to keep Trump from securing the 1,237 votes needed to win the GOP nomination and then win a contested convention in Cleveland.

"It is unusual to make the announcement as early as we are doing so now," Cruz said Wednesday in introducing Fiorina. "Well, I think all would acknowledge this race -- if anything, it is unusual."

Cruz allies and people close to the campaign describe a budding sense of gloom , with internal polls diving as Trump mounted even stronger than expected showings in his native northeast. In Indiana, which Cruz backers once believed they were favored to win after his strong defeat of Trump in Wisconsin, Cruz's numbers have fallen precipitously: Once leading, Cruz now trails in the state by eight to 10 points, according to a person who has seen the numbers, with Trump over the 40% mark. Cruz's campaign did not respond when asked about those figures.

Cruz has wanted a one-on-one matchup against Trump for months, and a deal with John Kasich over the weekend has given him one here. The arrangement -- Kasich would leave Indiana and Cruz would vacate Oregon and New Mexico -- doesn't guarantee Cruz will pick up voters left behind or unhappy with Trump, however.

"Lyin' Ted Cruz, who can never beat Hillary Clinton and has NO path to victory, has chosen a V.P.candidate who failed badly in her own effort," Trump tweeted Thursday morning.

Before the Fiorina announcement, Cruz was in search of a message that could resonate in Indiana -- and a way to explain how he'd managed to lose five states to Trump.

snip.../

To appeal to voters in central Indiana, Cruz has also adopted a Trump talking point, highlighting Indianapolis air-conditioning manufacturer Carrier's decision to shift its jobs to Mexico. Trump has consistently cited the announcement -- which has gone viral on video -- as a sign of America's trade imbalance with Mexico.

Cruz's successes of late have come in winning the inside baseball delegate battle, organizing states like Colorado and Maine for people who would support the Texas senator on a second ballot and beyond. But Trump has managed to turn that against Cruz, saying that activity is a sign the system is "rigged" against political outsiders like himself.

"There's a lot of pessimism seeping in," said Erick Erickson, a commentator close to the Cruz campaign and a leading anti-Trump voice. "Psychologically, I think he does have to win Indiana."

Read more:  http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/28/politics/ted-cruz-carly-fiorina-indiana-plan/index.html

I think this is interesting---those five state blowouts by Trump may have mattered after all:

Cruz allies and people close to the campaign describe a budding sense of gloom , with internal polls diving as Trump mounted even stronger than expected showings in his native northeast. In Indiana, which Cruz backers once believed they were favored to win after his strong defeat of Trump in Wisconsin, Cruz's numbers have fallen precipitously: Once leading, Cruz now trails in the state by eight to 10 points, according to a person who has seen the numbers, with Trump over the 40% mark. Cruz's campaign did not respond when asked about those figures.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

"It is unusual to make the announcement as early as we are doing so now," Cruz said Wednesday in introducing Fiorina. "Well, I think all would acknowledge this race -- if anything, it is unusual."

Well yes it is, DISTRUSTED.  In usual primaries, losers like you and Kasich who have been mathematically eliminated from 1237 have dropped out by now, and there is a presumed nominee.

Good job destroying the party though, REJECTED!! 
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Well yes it is, DISTRUSTED.  In usual primaries, losers like you and Kasich who have been mathematically eliminated from 1237 have dropped out by now, and there is a presumed nominee.

Good job destroying the party though, REJECTED!!

This is what just makes me see red. Lyin' Ted has no core.  None.

To appeal to voters in central Indiana, Cruz has also adopted a Trump talking point, highlighting Indianapolis air-conditioning manufacturer Carrier's decision to shift its jobs to Mexico. Trump has consistently cited the announcement -- which has gone viral on video -- as a sign of America's trade imbalance with Mexico.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

This is what just makes me see red. Lyin' Ted has no core.  None.

I know it's off-topic, but had that misogynistic comment from sinkspur to you been made by a Trump supporter to a female anti-Trump poster, that poster would have been permanently banned from here.

It's sad seeing good people have obviously subjective double-standards based on support of a political candidate.

Offline sinkspur

I know it's off-topic, but had that misogynistic comment from sinkspur to you been made by a Trump supporter to a female anti-Trump poster, that poster would have been permanently banned from here.

It's sad seeing good people have obviously subjective double-standards based on support of a political candidate.

I'm going to say this, and then I'm done with you.  I have gone out of my way to change my behavior, and have largely succeeded.  Fell back on that other thread and apologized.  But it's because I've changed that I got a pass.

I've gotten suspended here a few times, but never tried or had to sneak back in under another name.  You have fooled no one, Carling, as you have not changed.

Just food for thought as things play out.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

I'm going to say this, and then I'm done with you.  I have gone out of my way to change my behavior, and have largely succeeded.  Fell back on that other thread and apologized.  But it's because I've changed that I got a pass.

Just food for thought as things play out.

Things will play out as they will.  Trump will be the nominee, and you'll still have a nightly meltdown and then claim to have reformed your behavior yet again for the millionth time.

What an awful post that was to RIV.  I'd leave the board if I treated a woman that way.  That was worse than anything Trump has ever said, and shows how hypocritical a post that was by you.  I hope you treat the women in your life better than what I witnessed tonight.

Offline sinkspur

Things will play out as they will.  Trump will be the nominee, and you'll still have a nightly meltdown and then claim to have reformed your behavior yet again for the millionth time.

What an awful post that was to RIV.  I'd leave the board if I treated a woman that way.  That was worse than anything Trump has ever said, and shows how hypocritical a post that was by you.  I hope you treat the women in your life better than what I witnessed tonight.

"Blood flowing out of her wherever" was much, much worse. 

But I'm sure you think Megyn Kelly deserved that.

I really do have to laugh at your faux outrage. It reminds of Trump's "offense" at being touched by Michele Fields.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

It's difficult to support Trump around here sometimes--damn difficult.  But, methinks this will change in the next two weeks when the guns can finally be turned on Hillary instead of each other.

But thanks for being my knight in shining armor tonight.    All kidding aside, I really do appreciate it---but please don't do that to yourself again.  Your spirit and opinions are needed and very valuable and I don't want you in hot water.  You can PM me if there's something I'm missing--I check regularly --- often like an answering machine with no messages --- but I do check.  ^-^

Thanks again, my friend!   :beer:

Oh, and GO TRUMP! 

I really do have to laugh at your faux outrage. It reminds of Trump's "offense" at being touched by Michele Fields.

I'm begging you, Sink.  Stand down.  Let it go. 

Offline AnybodyButaDem

No it wasn't.  He said "blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her whatever."

At least get the quote right.  He never said the word "flowing."  That's your own memory, and it's quite telling.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

It's difficult to support Trump around here sometimes--damn difficult.  But, methinks this will change in the next two weeks when the guns can finally be turned on Hillary instead of each other.

But thanks for being my knight in shining armor tonight.    All kidding aside, I really do appreciate it---but please don't do that to yourself again.  Your spirit and opinions are needed and very valuable and I don't want you in hot water.  You can PM me if there's something I'm missing--I check regularly --- often like an answering machine with no messages --- but I do check.  ^-^

Thanks again, my friend!   :beer:

Oh, and GO TRUMP!

If I'm going to be banned for standing up for a  woman who was viciously attacked in the most vile manner on the public forum, that's not at all about my posts and I'll do it every time.  I seriously still can't believe he posted such a thing, and now still tries to paint Trump as being worse than that sort of post.

Anyhow, I made my point, and hopefully the mods here at least acknowledge it.  If not, this place is going to go downhill very quickly once Cruz drops out next week.

By the way, I'd stand up for musiclady the same way if a Trump supporter was that vulgar toward her, but don't tell her that because she wouldn't believe it.   :whistle:

:beer:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 02:07:13 am by AnybodyButaDem »

Offline Jackson

If Trump does manage to hijack the Republican party to his ego-trip Presidential campaign, then the Trump voters will bear responsibility for the generational horror that will ensure. One that did not have to be. National tragedy is a very high price to pay to massage a blowhard billionaire's ego.

If Trump does manage to hijack the Republican party to his ego-trip Presidential campaign, then the Trump voters will bear responsibility for the generational horror that will ensure. One that did not have to be. National tragedy is a very high price to pay to massage a blowhard billionaire's ego.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnErRZk6878

Offline AnybodyButaDem

If Trump does manage to hijack the Republican party to his ego-trip Presidential campaign

Seems like Cruz and Kasich are the two trying to "hijack" the GOP by going against the will of GOP voters due to their own egos.  Trump is going to end up somewhere between 95-105% of the 1237 delegates needed for the nomination.

IT'S OVER.  Doing otherwise and it's all on you anti-Trumps, although it's apparent that personal responsibility isn't high on certain posters' list of character qualities. 

Or is it the egos of the Cruzich donors?   :pondering:

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Trump voters will bear responsibility for the generational horror that will ensure. One that did not have to be. National tragedy is a very high price to pay to massage a blowhard billionaire's ego.

How am I supposed to take this nonsensical post at all in a serious manner?

Cruzich is done.  REJECTED.  They are going to lose Indiana with Trump getting over 50% of the vote.

TTTT   :patriot: