Author Topic: Dementia Alert: Bobby Knight: Like Truman, Trump would have 'guts to drop the bomb'  (Read 3669 times)

Offline sinkspur

Bobby Knight: Like Truman, Trump would have 'guts to drop the bomb'

By NICK GASS 04/28/16 02:58 PM EDT

According to Bobby Knight, Harry Truman was one of the three greatest presidents because he had the "guts to drop the bomb in 1944" on Japan.

Donald Trump, he said, could join that list as one of the four greatest presidents because he "would do the same thing."

The only historical problem with Knight's justification: Truman authorized the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan, in 1945. Franklin D. Roosevelt was still president in 1944.

During a rally in Evansville, Indiana, on Thursday, the legendary college basketball coach and Donald Trump supporter returned to the stage during the Republican candidate's speech when Trump began to talk about his lack of desire to be "more presidential."
"We gotta talk about this presidential crap just for a moment here," Knight said. "I'll tell you who they said wasn't presidential. I don't even know what the hell presidential means, but they told him he wasn't presidential. And that guy they told all these people that wanted to say, you're not presidential, that guy was Harry Truman."

The Missouri Democrat's name drew applause in the crowd.

"And Harry Truman, with what he did in dropping and having the guts to drop the bomb in 1944 saved, saved millions of American lives," Knight said. "And that's what Harry Truman did. And he became one of the three great presidents of the United States. And here's a man who would do the same thing, because he's going to become one of the four great presidents of the United States."

"Such a great guy. Wow. How do you top that? How do you top that?" Trump said. "You should be very proud of him in Indiana ... That is a national treasure, OK?"

Earlier on Thursday, Trump told NBC's "Today" that while he would be the last person to use nuclear weapons to take out the Islamic State or in any situation, he would never take the option off the table.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-gop-primary-live-updates-and-results/2016/04/bobby-knight-donald-trump-nuclear-bomb-222595#ixzz479QxcevA
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

I think there are some definite and serious mental issues with Trump supporters, and not just the ones at FR.

It's Daddy! ... Daddy! ... Go To Daddy!

Wingnut

Knight continued: "Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it ain't over now! Cause when the going gets tough.. The tough get goin'. Who's with me?"

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Is this supposed to be a bad thing?

I want a President who leaves all options on the table to protect the USA.

Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline NavyCanDo

Thought we left the Duck-n-Cover hysteria way behind us,  decades ago when I was still a youth. Here we are again talking about Dropping "The Bomb".    What the Hell!
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

HonestJohn

F***,  we really can't afford to have Trump near the White House.  Bragging about having the 'cajones' to start Global Thermonuclear Armaggedon is not a 'good thing'.

I have no words to describe how bad that is... and just how screwed up a person has to be in order to *want* it.

*bouche*
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:16:36 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Yes,  dropping a nuclear bomb is a bad thing.   

Damn, but Trumpsters are scary.   Please don't reproduce.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

HonestJohn

Well, it's definitely confirming, to me, that the TOS attitude that America is a diseased, filthy place that needs to burn in order to make room for a new, pure land... has infected a sizeable plurality of GOP primary voters.  For, as everyone understands, when you start lobbing nukes, nukes are going to be lobbed back.

Which fulfills their desires of a burnt, scorched America cleansed of the impure.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:32:08 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Obama couldn't have said it any better.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Well, it's definitely confirming, to me, that the TOS attitude that America is a diseased, filthy place that needs to burn in order to make room for a new, pure land... has infected a sizeable plurality of GOP primary voters.  For, as everyone understands, when you start lobbing nukes, nukes are going to be lobbed back.

Which fulfills their desires of a burnt, scorched America cleansed of the impure.

Ridiculous post.

Are you saying you want a president who says he would never use a nuclear bomb?

Offline flowers

No not a bad thing. When Trump takes office teamobama will have destroyed our nuke capability by then if they already haven't. So you people for Cruz from Canada need not worry.  :smokin:

HonestJohn

"Diplomacy is the art of knowing what not to say."
-unknown

Offline kevindavis007

Plus I don't think that Russia would like the idea of nukes being set off near them...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline kevindavis007

I don't want to see this country burned..

Silver Pines

Fantastic...I feel really good about Trump now.  Maybe I'll vote for him after all.  /sarc

People are letting their anger lead them--and us, I'm afraid---into a very dangerous place.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Donald Trump scored a major endorsement from a very beloved Indiana hero, Hoosier basketball coach Bobby Knight. The endorsement serves to give an important boost to help Trump win the state in his march to the nomination. But on CNN Tonight with Don Lemon Thursday when asked to respond to critics that suggest Trump was not a real conservative Knight admitted, “You know, I'm not sure what a conservative is.......

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/nicholas-fondacaro/2016/04/28/trump-endorser-bobby-knight-i-dont-know-what-conservative

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump Endorser Bobby Knight: 'I Don't Know What a Conservative Is'

No one does.   :shrug:

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I heard that. "Is it a guy who sleeps too late...?

Good grief.

Offline kevindavis007

Question, how would Israel feel about having us lob nukes near them? Would you be OK with killing our Kurdish allies? Would be OK with killing innocent civilians just for a quick end??

geronl

There are no conservatives on the Trump side and they can't even define it.

Offline libertybele

Trump is spewing hatred and racism.  It is one thing to go before an audience and state that you plan to increase our military, ask for an increased military budget, have talked to generals and we need more boots on the ground and will solve the issue of ISIS, but to taunt and say their days are numbered and we should line up Muslims, shoot them and send the last one home with pigs blood ... is vile, disgusting and has absolutely no place coming from a presidential candidates mouth.

Can you imagine what the rest of the world is thinking right now??  Americans want their jihad!  He is putting a big huge target on this country, our soldiers, and the American people.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.