Author Topic: Boston Marathon unifies residents and spectators  (Read 547 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Boston Marathon unifies residents and spectators
« on: April 28, 2016, 05:40:43 pm »
Boston Marathon unifies residents and spectators
Flanked by supporters who ran the race with her - wearing shirts that said #Adrianne Strong - Haslet-Davis grew emotional as she paused for a moment before touching the finish line. As the AP reports, "Joyce Chepkirui was third in the women's race, the lone Kenyan to medal in a race that had been dominated by her countrymen for decades".

By Marc RaimondiAdrianne Haslet vowed one day to complete the Boston Marathon, which she couldn't in 2013 when two bombs exploded near the finish line of the legendary race. "I think about the start line", she said. "Terror and bombs can't beat us", was the message he sent on Twitter.

Connor Wann, who also ran the Marathon in 2014, said he relied heavily on the energy of the swelling crowds to power him through the race.

Adrianne Haslet has just crossed the finish line in the Boston Marathon...

A Boston Marathon spectator captured the spirit of the race when he snapped several photos of a Boston police officer encouraging an exhausted runner to take the last steps and cross the finish line.

Bombing survivor Patrick Downes earlier finished the race on the prosthetic blade he has needed since losing his left leg in the 2013 attacks.

After the bombing in 2013, Haslet-Davis testified that she feared she would die as she struggled to crawl to safety. "I could never imagine running - or even walking - a marathon, so I give them a lot of credit for doing this".

Read More At: http://sacredheartspectrum.com/2016/04/boston-marathon-unifies-residents-and-spectators/

So, I guess it is that time of year again. This thread can be used to discuss anything about the Boston Marathon.

Awaiting the winners.

They've basically shown that even these "elite" runners from Kenya and Ethiopia now, may well be using performance enhancers.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:41:32 pm by TomSea »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Boston Marathon unifies residents and spectators
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 06:04:40 pm »
So, I guess it is that time of year again. This thread can be used to discuss anything about the Boston Marathon.

Awaiting the winners.

They've basically shown that even these "elite" runners from Kenya and Ethiopia now, may well be using performance enhancers.
I was planning to run the Boston in 1986, when I had a qualifying time for under age 40 of 2:54:29. That is right, you had to qualify by age.

But I was also remodeling a house, moved in a week before the Boston race, and I knew my wife would be pretty disappointed with me if I took off for Boston, instead of finishing up with the house.

Plus I was physically and mentally exhausted.  I was doing more than marathon training; I was doing triathlon training, swim, bike, run. Thirty years later, I am down to bike, and walk.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 06:54:20 pm »
My husband ran the Boston Marathon this year and his time was good enough to qualify for next year. We love going to Boston every year, even when he isn't running.

I don't know about the elite runners, but I can assure you that the old guy in my household who runs nearly every year doesn't use any "performance enhancers" for the race other than the occasional Samuel Adams beer.  :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:59:09 pm »
I'm obviously talking about the Marathon Winners and other top placers that should be questioned, not the hundreds that come behind them.

The Boston Marathon has a very fascinating history, the runners from nearly 100 years ago and so on, the first woman to run. This was a good book on it I should probably try to read again.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 07:01:28 pm »
Hey, we have that book. (My husband is a real running nerd).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org