Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423197 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2016, 11:25:35 pm »
I thought his 'Troy Rising' series was very good.

Same here...he talks about some actual techniques that are being actively discussed by a couple of companies that are exploring ways of getting into asteroid mining.  Tremendous potential if we can ever get the hell out of low earth orbit...

:beer:

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #201 on: June 28, 2016, 12:15:10 am »
"Okay Kevin, we are out of here, hopefully you brought snacks!"

What kind??
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #202 on: June 28, 2016, 12:25:04 am »
Is this a pirated copy?

Also....please remove it....and just provide a link to it if it is not pirated...
Its was on youtube under standard licenses as far as I could tell. But out of caution I removed it
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2016, 01:36:44 am »
Good call. The studios can get somewhat shark-like when they smell free money.  :tongue2:

Guardians was great fun.

Kill Command - I've seen it (Just unlucky, I guess). It's - OK. Bubblegum movie with some good moments and the usual sections of dialogue that make you want to take a knitting needle to your eardrums.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

« Reply #204 on: June 28, 2016, 02:48:53 am »
It's - OK. Bubblegum movie with some good moments and the usual sections of dialogue that make you want to take a knitting needle to your eardrums.

:silly: :silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2016, 03:16:36 am »
 :tongue2:

I'm not asking for Chekov or Proust - but just once would it kill them to make a big budget sci-fi that had dialogue as spoken by real people? Their idea of elevated dialogue is to fit it with a pair of stilts.

And it's really not that difficult to do. I've done some script doctoring for smaller studios and it just takes a bit of effort (and some time with the actors, of course. How they are playing the character has a huge impact on words to be avoided.)

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2016, 11:29:42 am »
Has anyone seen the 2009 movie “Moon”? If you did, what did you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twuScTcDP_Q

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/

I count it as one of my Sci-Fi film favorites.

It’s not a big budget film, it is very sparse in fact but never looks cheap or cheesy.  There are no aliens, big battle scenes, huge explosions nor reliance on GGI, and has a cast consisting almost entirely of three characters; two of which are Sam Bell, both played by Sam Rockwell (who I thought was brilliant) and the other character – the robot helper GERTY (think HAL but with a sense of humor and with human like compassion) as voiced by Kevin Spacy.

It touches on themes of scientific ethics (in some ways it can be comparable to Blade Runner) and of corporate greed, and of human identity and loneliness and memories - real or implanted.

I highly recommend it.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #207 on: June 28, 2016, 11:44:23 am »
Has anyone seen the 2009 movie “Moon”? If you did, what did you think?

I'll second your recommendation.  It was thoroughly enjoyable.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2016, 01:08:48 pm »
‘Star Trek’ ship to be displayed on main floor of Smithsonian

http://nypost.com/2016/06/27/star-trek-ship-to-be-displayed-on-main-floor-of-smithsonian/
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #209 on: June 28, 2016, 01:10:44 pm »
@Neverdul  and @Doug Loss

Thank you! Didn't see it when it came out. Meant to pick it up, but it sort of slipped off the radar. Thanks for the reminder!

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2016, 05:25:49 pm »

Its was on youtube under standard licenses as far as I could tell. But out of caution I removed it

There are a lot of full length movies uploaded to YouTube, and most of them have been uploaded illegally often by foreign users.  Full length movies, especially recent ones cannot be uploaded and posted online under a “standard license” unless the person or entity uploading it holds the copyright.  Just because the uploader claims “Standard YouTube License” doesn’t mean they have permission from the copyright holder to upload the movie for free viewing.  IMO you should remove the link to the Kill Command movie too.

There are a few old B&W and rather obscure movies that perhaps fall under “free use” such as movies that are regularly shown on commercial broadcast channels, where the studio and original copyright holder is defunked and hasn’t asserted any copyright claims.

YouTube will remove movies posted there if the copyright holder flags them. But as soon as one is taken down, another takes its place.

Here is how you can tell the difference.

The first one is a pirated copy. Note the name of the person who uploaded it, note the word “MoVIE” -  there will often be misspellings or strange capitalization in the title, and also note the run time compared to the legit copy. 

Another tipoff is if the soundtrack sounds “muddy” or is out of sync with the pictures or the movie looks grainy as was both the cases with the GOTG YouTube link you posted. Yet another tipoff is if the YouTube post has embedded links – a “good” i.e. BAD way to pick up a virus or malware - never click on them.

The second ones are legit. It is from the legitimate Marvel Studios’ YouTube Channel. Note the logo and that comments have been disabled.  But also note, you’ve got to pay to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maIEaTm5gBE

Offline kevindavis007

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2016, 01:10:08 am »
There are a lot of full length movies uploaded to YouTube, and most of them have been uploaded illegally often by foreign users.  Full length movies, especially recent ones cannot be uploaded and posted online under a “standard license” unless the person or entity uploading it holds the copyright.  Just because the uploader claims “Standard YouTube License” doesn’t mean they have permission from the copyright holder to upload the movie for free viewing.  IMO you should remove the link to the Kill Command movie too.

What you say may be accurate, I do not give the fact others are selling it still as much weight as you tho. The copyright police are very efficient on youtube, An un -anti-copyright movies are pulled very fast by automatic systems. A long playing un-copyright check blocked movie such as the one I posted thus gets a presumption that any copyright holders know its there in the public domain and is not calling for its pull down. That could be for several reasons, one its in the public domain because of their failure to police their copyright and believe its futile, they are trying to build interest for a squeal and the movie has run its course at the bargain bin (the 2.99 post supports this), etc.

The tells I have seen for pirated are reversed screen, whiteout spot, clipping the beginning or end, adding to it to change its run length, changing its speed, voices, etc.

On the Guardian movie none of the counter copy right policing measures were in place and its been out long enough for the CR holders to pull it down if they had reason too. So as I said, I saw no reason to believe it was a problem video as it was highly viewed long running and had none of the counters normally seen with pirated videos.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

geronl

« Reply #213 on: June 29, 2016, 11:12:06 pm »
Nothing goes better with random spaceship generator in Blender than, well, planets...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2016, 11:23:37 pm »
Nothing goes better with random spaceship generator in Blender than, well, planets...

Time to Terraform the Sh*t out of that planet.

geronl

« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2016, 11:30:13 pm »

Well, it's like taking a cruise to a 3rd world dump.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2016, 11:36:49 pm »
Well, it's like taking a cruise to a 3rd world dump.

True..

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #217 on: June 30, 2016, 02:19:49 am »

But if it doesn't have any sh*t, it wouldn't be Earthlike....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #218 on: July 01, 2016, 02:12:21 pm »
What you say may be accurate, I do not give the fact others are selling it still as much weight as you tho. The copyright police are very efficient on youtube, An un -anti-copyright movies are pulled very fast by automatic systems. A long playing un-copyright check blocked movie such as the one I posted thus gets a presumption that any copyright holders know its there in the public domain and is not calling for its pull down. That could be for several reasons, one its in the public domain because of their failure to police their copyright and believe its futile, they are trying to build interest for a squeal and the movie has run its course at the bargain bin (the 2.99 post supports this), etc.

The tells I have seen for pirated are reversed screen, whiteout spot, clipping the beginning or end, adding to it to change its run length, changing its speed, voices, etc.

On the Guardian movie none of the counter copy right policing measures were in place and its been out long enough for the CR holders to pull it down if they had reason too. So as I said, I saw no reason to believe it was a problem video as it was highly viewed long running and had none of the counters normally seen with pirated videos.

Not to highjack or derail this thread any further and perhaps it warrants a new thread(?), but you are incorrect on several accounts with respect to copyrights, copyright law, what is in public domain or what constitutes fair use, etc.

BTW – the link to GOTG on YouTube that you posted (which BTW also had a clipped/shortened run time), it’s gone from YouTube now.  But there are many others in its place, most of which have been uploaded in the last 1 to 4 weeks.  YouTube’s Content ID is helpful in screening out illegal downloads of copyright protected movies but it is not foolproof.  Copyright holders (and only the actual copyright holders) can flag videos for removal but it is not instantaneous and as I said, as soon as one is taken down, others crop up in their place. It must be a very time consuming process for the copyright holders to search and put in a complaint for each and every one posted to YouTube.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324906004578290321884631206

“People who have used Content ID at media companies said the system works well, but that some individuals who illegally upload videos to YouTube have been able to manipulate the soundtrack or video to avoid detection by the system. These people add that some media companies don't always use the system properly and forget to block some illegal content.”

One of the other ways uploaders get around Content ID is to post short clips or previews and or embed them in “Play Lists” but in the text description, they post links to bit torrent sites.

Here is an example – it looks like it is the full movie posted on line but is not and doesn’t even have any clips from the movie so it would not be caught up by YouTube’s Content ID filter, but the text gives a link to what appears to be an illegal bit torrent site, most likely hosted in a foreign country. But I would not recommend clicking on it. (Posted only for illustrative purposes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vdC5_iby0U

Also read:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2109954/even-after-settlement-youtube-remains-a-pirates-paradise.html

And:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797466?hl=en

That Marvel Studios created their own YouTube channel and is offering a onetime view rental of GOTG at $2.99 SD ($3.99 for an HD rental and $14.99 SD and $15.99 HD for purchase), doesn’t negate their copyright claims. And those prices to legitimately rent or buy from their - the copyright holder’s official YouTube channel, even if you think it puts it in the “bargain bin”, it is in line with what Amazon or NetFlix or what cable companies like Comcast On Demand charges or what you’d pay if you bought the move DVD from a retailer.

IMO posting YouTube links to any “free” full length movie here of dubious legality, whether you think they are OK or not, puts this site at risk for potential legal claims and that we should respect this site just like we should for excepting articles, and just not do that. If you want to watch pirated movies on bit torrent sites or on YouTube, that’s on you.  But I am not a fan of stealing or receiving stolen goods. YMMV.

@mystery-ak @Mechanicos

geronl

« Reply #219 on: July 01, 2016, 02:15:37 pm »
Still having fun with the Blender spaceship generator...

The last remnant of the human race finds that all suitable worlds are already occupied, the sad conclusion is that for humans to survive, they will need to become alien invaders...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2016, 11:58:14 am »
Still having fun with the Blender spaceship generator...

The last remnant of the human race finds that all suitable worlds are already occupied, the sad conclusion is that for humans to survive, they will need to become alien invaders...

I see it this way. I see the future of humanity going to two different directions...

1. Our future could be the verse in Firefly with either B5 or Star Trek technology.
2. Our future could be like the Expanse..

I prefer option 1..

geronl

« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2016, 07:56:11 pm »

1. Our future could be the verse in Firefly with either B5 or Star Trek technology.
2. Our future could be like the Expanse..

I'd pick 1 too

geronl

« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2016, 07:59:08 pm »
Music from a James Bond intro.... mixed with Empire Strikes Back....

http://vimeo.com/165592795

geronl

« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2016, 05:43:48 am »
My blog story has reached nearly 22,000 words, it will increase in a second draft as I add detail, description and stuff. It's definitely got potential as a future e-book.