Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423140 times)

geronl

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2016, 06:33:47 pm »
https://github.com/a1studmuffin/SpaceshipGenerator/

apparently you can tweak the settings somehow (I haven't found out how) and make them look even more alien... image at the site

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2016, 07:03:53 pm »
https://github.com/a1studmuffin/SpaceshipGenerator/

apparently you can tweak the settings somehow (I haven't found out how) and make them look even more alien... image at the site

But when we go there, we will be the aliens...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2016, 07:32:09 pm »
I still need to learn to do more than just make the block ships appear, lol

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2016, 09:42:46 pm »
I still need to learn to do more than just make the block ships appear, lol

Uhh, you said it was a GIMP script, but it's for Blender.  Both admirable programs, but not interchangeable.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

geronl

« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2016, 09:46:45 pm »
I meant Blender.... I have GIMP on the brain lately!

geronl

« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2016, 12:30:58 am »
Learning to scale, see the little baby spaceship next to mama...

geronl

« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2016, 11:37:50 pm »
I'm holding on to a couple of short stories I wrote. One was about a small colony world becoming isolated as humans become more primitive and star travel fades, but some colony worlds have no natural salt. Yes, salt! Without salt the human body will start shutting down, hyponatremia sets in or whatever. The last refugee to end up on Dunga has a device that can produce salt, although not a huge amount.

The other was about 11 nations sending a male and female each 12-14 years old to a partially terraformed Mars (abandoned for 90 years) to learn how humans have to be genetically modified to survive there. You see, Mars cannot be fully terraformed, so it had been abandoned for nearly a century. Plants and wildlife on Mars had been genetically engineered for rapid evolution so nobody really knows what the kids should expect when they arrive.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2016, 12:07:05 am »
One of the best series of books I've read in recent memory by a current author is the so-called Aldenada Legacy, aka the Posleen Wars by John Ringo.  The Posleen invade by the millions, they call their food "thresh" and will eat anything, including one another but especially humans.  But they have a special name for humans..."thresh-kreen" or "food that bites"...

Great series that pits all kinds of hardware against the Posleen hoards and their ships....I always thought it would make an incredibly good movie or ongoing TV series.  Ringo writes parts about how uber liberals of all stripes deny that this could be happening right up to the point when they are "rendered" into thresh.  The Muslims declare jihad against the Posleen and are exterminated to near extinction, as are the Chinese who choose to fight a nuclear retreat all the way to the Himalayas.  The Germans...well, they bring back the old tankers and their big guns....

Good winter read...great five season run serial....

:beer:

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2016, 02:11:50 am »
John Ringo also has a very enjoyable series called Black Tide Rising, about an engineered virus that turns the great majority of the world population into a kind of zombies.  Not the supernatural kind so much as feral and violent creatures with almost no higher faculties.  The series is about the gradual clearing of certain areas and the spread of uninfected humans back onto the world's landmasses.
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2016, 02:19:01 am »
I enjoyed the Aldenata Legacy very much. Ringo in general is a great author and he avoids the pitfall most series writers fall into eventually - his series stay short enough that he doesn't get stale.

I'm a huge fan of David Weber as an author, for example, but the Honor Harrington series did get samey by about book 8. (Note - the Universe books - set in the same universe but with minor characters or short story characters as a focus don't have the same problem - yet.)
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2016, 12:39:26 pm »
Check out the final Star Trek Beyond trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MBXBMkcUNo
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2016, 05:40:35 pm »
Here's something you should all know about:

The Adventure Sci-FI Bundle for StoryBundle
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 05:41:01 pm by Doug Loss »
My political philosophy:

3) Leave me alone!

geronl

« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2016, 05:43:15 pm »
Check out the final Star Trek Beyond trailer:

I might have clicked on that if I hadn't seen "Rihanna"

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2016, 05:49:08 pm »
I might have clicked on that if I hadn't seen "Rihanna"

I know it is a Rhianna song on the trailer, but I do have to admit it is pretty cool
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Mechanicos

« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2016, 07:07:14 pm »
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

geronl

« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2016, 07:50:57 pm »
It's a bad cut and paste but I like it...

geronl

« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2016, 09:25:11 pm »
"Kill Command" looks very B-movie, but I'm gonna watch it.

by the way, @kevindavis  I watched Jupiter Ascending the other day.... I swear I've seen that movie before (pre-cog maybe), which didn't help it too much, lol.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2016, 10:01:44 pm »
"Kill Command" looks very B-movie, but I'm gonna watch it.

by the way, @kevindavis  I watched Jupiter Ascending the other day.... I swear I've seen that movie before (pre-cog maybe), which didn't help it too much, lol.

Regarding Jupiter Ascending I thought I had read that it is based on an old anime show/movie, but I can't find any evidence for that now so I'm probably mis-remembering (perhaps I'm thinking of another Wachowski production, maybe The Matrix?).  Even though it's not directly based on anything the plot is full of cliches so perhaps that's why it seems so familiar.  :shrug:
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2016, 10:07:40 pm »
Even though it's not directly based on anything the plot is full of cliches so perhaps that's why it seems so familiar.  :shrug:

cleaning the toilet and bees pinged that deja vu sensation

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2016, 10:16:37 pm »
cleaning the toilet and bees pinged that deja vu sensation

OK, that doesn't ring any bells with me, sorry. I was thinking more along the lines of, "poor backwoods girl is secretly royalty", which is as old as Sleeping Beauty.  See here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RagsToRoyalty
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2016, 10:42:28 pm »
"Okay Kevin, we are out of here, hopefully you brought snacks!"

geronl

« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2016, 10:43:13 pm »
OK, that doesn't ring any bells with me, sorry. I was thinking more along the lines of, "poor backwoods girl is secretly royalty", which is as old as Sleeping Beauty. 

lol, that has been so overdone...

Offline Ghost Bear

« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2016, 10:52:14 pm »
lol, that has been so overdone...

Yes, the movie didn't have much new to say on the subject, which is one reason I didn't care for it much. The other reason was, what the movie did say, it didn't say very well.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2016, 10:57:55 pm »
Guardians of the galaxy...

1. I loved GOTG, saw it in the theater, bought it on blue ray, fun movie, can't wait for the sequel.

2. But I am not sure that I'd consider GOTG to be Sci-Fi.  While GOTG was set mostly in space, it is really a comic book movie or under the subgenre of Space Fantasy.  FWIW, and while I’m a fan, I don’t consider Star Wars to be sci-fi either – call me a purist.  :shrug:

3. I also don’t think it “kosher” (or legal) to post YouTube links here to what appears to be a pirated copy of the movie.  I don’t want TBR to get into any sort of trouble not to mention that I have an ethical problem with movie or music piracy. Fair use or short clips is one thing, but piracy of copyrighted materials is another.

:pondering:

https://www.reference.com/government-politics/legal-watch-full-length-films-youtube-caa3657c76fe8398?qo=contentSimilarQuestions

Is it legal to watch full-length films on YouTube?

A:

QUICK ANSWER

It is legal to watch a full-length film on YouTube only if the person who uploaded the video had permission from the copyright holder. If that person did not, viewers of the illegal content could be prosecuted, according to CNET.

KNOW MORE

FULL ANSWER

YouTube has a part of its site dedicated to legally showing full-length movies. Many of these can be rented at a low cost, but some are free, explains Digital Trends.

Some individual YouTube channels have full-length movies available, according to Technology Personalized, but their legality is not verified by YouTube. Users who find movies posted on YouTube that appear to have been recorded in a theater, or whose audio and video are not synchronized, are encouraged to flag the video for copyright infringement. The video is then reviewed by YouTube staff, claims the Houston Chronicle.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:07:55 pm by Neverdul »
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2016, 11:07:41 pm »
Is this a pirated copy?

Also....please remove it....and just provide a link to it if it is not pirated...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34