Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423135 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #2325 on: April 13, 2020, 03:47:55 am »
@240B

Thanks,I have that channel saved on my ROKU. I just never saw or heard it abbreviated like that.
Watch Trek Discovery. You will love it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2326 on: April 13, 2020, 03:58:17 am »
Watch Trek Discovery. You will love it.

@240B

I tried watching the original on teebee when I was younger,and just couldn't get into it
Did like the short skirts,though,and I did start trying to catch it when 6 of 9 was a star and I had nothing else to do.

Whoever named that woman 6 or 9 was either blind,or a man from someplace I dearly wanted to visit.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:59:17 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2327 on: April 13, 2020, 06:33:57 pm »
@240B

I tried watching the original on teebee when I was younger,and just couldn't get into it
Did like the short skirts,though,and I did start trying to catch it when 6 of 9 was a star and I had nothing else to do.

Whoever named that woman 6 or 9 was either blind,or a man from someplace I dearly wanted to visit.
I understand. I do. Unless you are a Trekkie you will not get it.
But if you are Tekkie, Discovery is perfect, in our world.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:36:37 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline verga

« Reply #2328 on: April 13, 2020, 07:19:07 pm »
@240B

Thanks,I have that channel saved on my ROKU. I just never saw or heard it abbreviated like that.
@sneakypete Question: We have been watching Netflix, and the alphabet channels through our computer.
If I get a Roku enabled flat screen will I be able to go through my wifi router to watch on the flat screen?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2329 on: April 13, 2020, 08:29:37 pm »
@sneakypete Question: We have been watching Netflix, and the alphabet channels through our computer.

If I get a Roku enabled flat screen will I be able to go through my wifi router to watch on the flat screen?

@verga

Yes,but why limit your choice of tv's by doing that,when you can buy the full-sized deluxe Roku player for about 40 bucks,and use it with any modern tv?

Offline verga

« Reply #2330 on: April 14, 2020, 10:34:03 am »
@verga

Yes,but why limit your choice of tv's by doing that,when you can buy the full-sized deluxe Roku player for about 40 bucks,and use it with any modern tv?
We do not currently have a television, and I thought it might b e cheaper just to get one that was already ROKU enabled.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2331 on: April 14, 2020, 12:41:29 pm »
We do not currently have a television, and I thought it might b e cheaper just to get one that was already ROKU enabled.

@verga

Not a chance. Go to www.roku.com  and buy one directly from  ROKU,and then shop around online or locally for the best tv you can buy for the money you can afford to spend.

Buying a tv with a ROKU embedded really restricts your choices.

Besides,I am not familiar with the ROKU options on a tv with built-in roku,but with the "plug in roku" you also have two other outlets so you can plug a recorder/player into it that is hooked to your HD antenna for local broadcast programming,and another outlet for a Game Boy or similar player,and then just switch from one to any of the others at any time by pushing a button.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:44:12 pm by sneakypete »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2332 on: April 14, 2020, 12:46:45 pm »
@verga

Not a chance. Go to www.roku.com  and buy one directly from  ROKU,and then shop around online or locally for the best tv you can buy for the money you can afford to spend.

Buying a tv with a ROKU embedded really restricts your choices.

Besides,I am not familiar with the ROKU options on a tv with built-in roku,but with the "plug in roku" you also have two other outlets so you can plug a recorder/player into it that is hooked to your HD antenna for local broadcast programming,and another outlet for a Game Boy or similar player,and then just switch from one to any of the others at any time by pushing a button.

@sneakypete

Good advice Pete.  These so called smart TV's are all disasters.  I hate these 3 or 4 extra clicks everytime I turn a TV on, just to not have to load the "recommended" software upgrades.  A straight up good resolution, refresh rate, Dumb TV with a purchased Roku device is the only way to go.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline verga

« Reply #2333 on: April 14, 2020, 01:50:58 pm »
@catfish1957 @sneakypete , any suggestions I want to keep it under $200

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2334 on: April 14, 2020, 04:16:49 pm »

@vera

Not on tv's. I bought my 58 inch plasma tv maybe 10 years ago,and am still loving it.

I do strongly recommend this antenna,though.

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Satellite-Broadcast-Epicenter-Reception/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=rca+antenna&qid=1586880302&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWlVSTENFQTJBQTVJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjE5OTg1MUNTUko4VDFYRFNLQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzQyMDk4MkVYNDdVVzA0OUI3NCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

RCA,made in America,and the one I bought 10 years ago was only rated to pull in channels from 45 miles away,and I am pulling in channels from 60 miles away that are crystal clear. I am pulling in a total of 44 broadcast channels with this antenna,and they are all free. This includes the nearest CBS,ABC,and NBC channels,plus PBS,and over 30 channels I didn't even know existed. Most broadcast tv shows from the 50's and 60's like "The Twilight Zone",Outer Limits,"Alfred Hitchcock Presents","The Johnny Cash Show","The Carol Burnette Show",etc,etc,etc,and almost all are in black and white.

Some of the channels are dedicated to cowboy/western series,some to sitcoms,etc,etc,etc.

Of course,once you get the antenna hooked up to your tv,you will want a recorder because there will be more shows you want to see than you have time to watch,so plan on spending some money with ROKU or Amazon for a recorder once your budget recovers from buying the tv and the ROKU.

My recorder cost me around 100 bucks,but I can't recommend it because it is no longer made. Technology has advanced,and better ones with more features can now be bought. Being a tightwad,I won't be buying a new one until the one I already have dies.

BTW,I haven't tried it,but I am betting there is some way you can use a USB port on the back of your new tv to record to,but you are going to have to ask someone more knowledgeable than me about this.

You can probably buy one of those 6 port USB stations and record 6 programs at one time for all I know,right out the back of your tv or one of the ports on your ROKU.

BTW,if you live somewhere so far from the "big city" that you have trouble pulling in reliable signals from network tv like CBS/ABC/NBC,you can stream them all on your ROKU. GREAT way to catch up on programs you missed when they broadcast because the networks start streaming them the day after their normal broadcast day. So you have to watch commercials. So what? It's not actually painful,and you can use that time for a bathroom break,get a cup of coffee,or get a sammich.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:22:46 pm by sneakypete »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2335 on: April 14, 2020, 04:36:19 pm »

Interested to get Pete's suggestion, but at near your price range, WM has "low refresh" (60hhz) though out of stock 50" Sanyo dumb TV at the moment. And don't forget to add a low end Roku to your order for your streaming needs.   If you have a little more cash, to spring, I'd sure suggest something with at least a 120hz rate.

Your luck may be different, but we have a 32' LCD Sanyo in the office, that is going on what I think is about 15 years old, without an inkling of problems.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SANYO-FW50D48F-50-1080p-60Hz-Class-LED-HDTV/274974740

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #2336 on: April 14, 2020, 04:38:15 pm »
@vera

BTW,I haven't tried it,but I am betting there is some way you can use a USB port on the back of your new tv to record to,but you are going to have to ask someone more knowledgeable than me about this.

You can probably buy one of those 6 port USB stations and record 6 programs at one time for all I know,right out the back of your tv or one of the ports on your ROKU.

Pete.. I am pretty sure these Rokus are using HDMI ports rather than USB though.....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2337 on: April 14, 2020, 04:42:18 pm »
Pete.. I am pretty sure these Rokus are using HDMI ports rather than USB though.....

@catfish1957

I know for a fact they do. I personally own 2,one for the shop and one for the house,and have given a couple away to friends as presents.

Most new flat screens also have USB ports,and I am GUESSING there is probably some way you can
use that port to record with a USB stick. Why not? After all,my ROKU is plugged into a USB port on the back of my tv?

I may very well be wrong,though. I am NOT a software tech,and don't even play one on teebee.

I would deeply appreciate some knowledgeable input here from a digital head.

BTW,FWIW,my old 58 inch plasma tv is a Samsung,and never had a instant of trouble with it. Kinda outdated now and missing some modern features,but I am too cheap to toss it as long as it works.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:44:36 pm by sneakypete »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #2338 on: April 14, 2020, 04:49:36 pm »
@catfish1957

I know for a fact they do. I personally own 2,one for the shop and one for the house,and have given a couple away to friends as presents.

Most new flat screens also have USB ports,and I am GUESSING there is probably some way you can
use that port to record with a USB stick. Why not? After all,my ROKU is plugged into a USB port on the back of my tv?

I may very well be wrong,though. I am NOT a software tech,and don't even play one on teebee.

I would deeply appreciate some knowledgeable input here from a digital head.

BTW,FWIW,my old 58 inch plasma tv is a Samsung,and never had a instant of trouble with it. Kinda outdated now and missing some modern features,but I am too cheap to toss it as long as it works.

@sneakypete

Definitely not a Tech Head, but I can do the same on mine with a USB with an adapter, but I think the streaming speeds are better with an HDMI cord/port.  Which is what comes with Rokus.  Do they even make TV's without HDMI ports anymore?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2339 on: April 14, 2020, 04:52:00 pm »
@sneakypete

Definitely not a Tech Head, but I can do the same on mine with a USB with an adapter, but I think the streaming speeds are better with an HDMI cord/port.  Which is what comes with Rokus.

Do they even make TV's without HDMI ports anymore?

@catfish1957

Probably in North Korea. I think the "Hula Hoop" is just starting to catch on there,too.

Offline verga

« Reply #2340 on: April 14, 2020, 09:56:12 pm »
@vera

Not on tv's. I bought my 58 inch plasma tv maybe 10 years ago,and am still loving it.

I do strongly recommend this antenna,though.

https://www.amazon.com/Antenna-Satellite-Broadcast-Epicenter-Reception/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=rca+antenna&qid=1586880302&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWlVSTENFQTJBQTVJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjE5OTg1MUNTUko4VDFYRFNLQyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzQyMDk4MkVYNDdVVzA0OUI3NCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

RCA,made in America,and the one I bought 10 years ago was only rated to pull in channels from 45 miles away,and I am pulling in channels from 60 miles away that are crystal clear. I am pulling in a total of 44 broadcast channels with this antenna,and they are all free. This includes the nearest CBS,ABC,and NBC channels,plus PBS,and over 30 channels I didn't even know existed. Most broadcast tv shows from the 50's and 60's like "The Twilight Zone",Outer Limits,"Alfred Hitchcock Presents","The Johnny Cash Show","The Carol Burnette Show",etc,etc,etc,and almost all are in black and white.

Some of the channels are dedicated to cowboy/western series,some to sitcoms,etc,etc,etc.

Of course,once you get the antenna hooked up to your tv,you will want a recorder because there will be more shows you want to see than you have time to watch,so plan on spending some money with ROKU or Amazon for a recorder once your budget recovers from buying the tv and the ROKU.

My recorder cost me around 100 bucks,but I can't recommend it because it is no longer made. Technology has advanced,and better ones with more features can now be bought. Being a tightwad,I won't be buying a new one until the one I already have dies.

BTW,if you live somewhere so far from the "big city" that you have trouble pulling in reliable signals from network tv like CBS/ABC/NBC,you can stream them all on your ROKU. GREAT way to catch up on programs you missed when they broadcast because the networks start streaming them the day after their normal broadcast day. So you have to watch commercials. So what? It's not actually painful,and you can use that time for a bathroom break,get a cup of coffee,or get a sammich.
We have both HULU and NetFlix, and the school ws discarding a bunch of old VHS /DVD combos. I snagged one that would record DVD as I have some VHS I want to convert to DVD. Thank you for the advice.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2341 on: April 14, 2020, 11:41:57 pm »

@verga  @catfish1957

BTW,I forgot to mention the newest versions of the big ROKU have a button on the remote you can press and speak the title of the show you are looking for,and it will list where it is airing. Pretty freaking cool! No more typiing.

Pretty good search engine,too.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2342 on: April 20, 2020, 03:42:44 am »
@verga
Try this for evaluation.
It is ROKU plug and play. Easy setup, and it will give you more shows, both old and new, than you could ever watch.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-43S425-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B07DK5PZFY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=tcl+roku+tv&qid=1587353743&sr=8-2

Offline verga

« Reply #2343 on: April 20, 2020, 11:12:24 am »
@verga
Try this for evaluation.
It is ROKU plug and play. Easy setup, and it will give you more shows, both old and new, than you could ever watch.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-43S425-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B07DK5PZFY/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=tcl+roku+tv&qid=1587353743&sr=8-2
Thank you for the suggestion, I will run it by the keeper of the checkbook.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2344 on: April 20, 2020, 12:48:23 pm »
I got a fire stick instead of a roku. I regret it now.

I’m really looking forward to this new space comedy on Netflix next month called Space Force.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/space-force-netflix-release-date-steve-carell-photos-1202223510/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:49:36 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2345 on: April 22, 2020, 06:40:58 pm »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2346 on: May 03, 2020, 10:47:02 am »
I binge watched a new show on Amazon Prime yesterday. “Upload”

I had a lot of positive thoughts going into it. The buzz about this show has been phenomenal. It has Greg Daniels who did “King of the Hill” “The Office”, and “Parks and Recreation”.

It was good. Fine binge watch, but...the pre-buzz compared it to “The Good Place”. It wasn’t like that show other than the fact they both deal with heaven.

Upload gives you Silicon Heaven. Interesting concept, but I think, other than the fact you can eat anything and never gain weight, I think I’d rather be in the heaven we’ve all been told about from church, and the Bible.

So basically if you like SF and have the time, try it. I’d give it a solid B for story but the special effects are top notch.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2347 on: May 03, 2020, 08:56:07 pm »
I binge watched a new show on Amazon Prime yesterday. “Upload”

I had a lot of positive thoughts going into it. The buzz about this show has been phenomenal. It has Greg Daniels who did “King of the Hill” “The Office”, and “Parks and Recreation”.

It was good. Fine binge watch, but...the pre-buzz compared it to “The Good Place”. It wasn’t like that show other than the fact they both deal with heaven.

Upload gives you Silicon Heaven. Interesting concept, but I think, other than the fact you can eat anything and never gain weight, I think I’d rather be in the heaven we’ve all been told about from church, and the Bible.

So basically if you like SF and have the time, try it. I’d give it a solid B for story but the special effects are top notch.
Thanks, @Gefn I'll check it out.
I'm with you on the biblical version vs the virtual reality one.  (Does the VR one have all those darned pop-up ads?)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2348 on: May 18, 2020, 12:25:23 pm »
Comics fans are enjoying some nice bundle deals lately - Humble has had Joe Hill, Jonathan Hicks, the entire Walking Dead series; now this Humanoids bundle at Groupee with most of the extras already unlocked:

https://groupees.com/humanoids
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2349 on: May 30, 2020, 11:55:45 pm »
Space Force on Netflix was definitely a funny binge watch. Dragged a bit towards the end but not bad.

Solid 7 1/2.