Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423133 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #2225 on: November 20, 2019, 04:44:03 am »
Rational posts deserve rational replies. You're a smart guy, so why not talk about things other than politics?

There is always common ground among intelligent people, sometimes broad, sometimes narrow, but there, nonetheless.
@Smokin Joe
There are many forums to talk about comic books and jokes.  Unsurprisingly I come here for the politics, and I come here because my NT opinions would not be tolerated at TOS, and my center right opinion would not be tolerated on a liberal forum.  I also come here because of thoughtful posters like yourself, it's lightly moderated, and even more participant moderated.  This allows me to explore my opinions in the relative safety of people who will understand my experiences as a Republican for almost 30 years.

I saw your post on the Ben Carson thread, and I agree intelligent people can find common ground.  Thank you for the compliment and of course I return it to you.  You're an asset to this forum. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 04:45:44 am by Once-Ler »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2226 on: November 20, 2019, 07:14:22 am »
@Smokin Joe
There are many forums to talk about comic books and jokes.  Unsurprisingly I come here for the politics, and I come here because my NT opinions would not be tolerated at TOS, and my center right opinion would not be tolerated on a liberal forum.  I also come here because of thoughtful posters like yourself, it's lightly moderated, and even more participant moderated.  This allows me to explore my opinions in the relative safety of people who will understand my experiences as a Republican for almost 30 years.

I saw your post on the Ben Carson thread, and I agree intelligent people can find common ground.  Thank you for the compliment and of course I return it to you.  You're an asset to this forum.
Thank you for your kind words. We all have some part to play.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #2227 on: November 20, 2019, 07:34:41 am »
Wonder Woman - Bloodlines...

Boring and same old storyline... crude animation compared to previous offerings. Don't bother... watched it with my brother (who likes the Superhero line)...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2228 on: November 24, 2019, 05:34:11 am »
'Mars' on Netflix is pretty darn interesting. Unique format, toggling between 2016 and 2033. Very intriguing to watch.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2229 on: November 24, 2019, 05:03:22 pm »
Wonder Woman - Bloodlines...

Boring and same old storyline... crude animation compared to previous offerings. Don't bother... watched it with my brother (who likes the Superhero line)...

@Sighlass

I didn't even like the comics when I was a kid,but I was a HUGE fan of Linda Evans. She was indeed a "Wonder Woman". I would get a little dizzy every time I saw her in that costume.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2230 on: November 24, 2019, 05:04:45 pm »
'Mars' on Netflix is pretty darn interesting. Unique format, toggling between 2016 and 2033. Very intriguing to watch.

@Free Vulcan

Thanks for the tip. I have been eyeing it and been tempted to give it a click,but passed on to other things. Now I will give it a try.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2231 on: November 24, 2019, 05:37:26 pm »
@Free Vulcan
@sneakypete

I already saw Mars that is on Netflix.  Just be warned the 2nd season is nothing more than Green Propganda bulls**t.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2232 on: November 24, 2019, 05:40:18 pm »
@Sighlass

I didn't even like the comics when I was a kid,but I was a HUGE fan of Linda Evans. She was indeed a "Wonder Woman". I would get a little dizzy every time I saw her in that costume.
@sneakypete
You mean Lynda Carter, no?  wink777

This was Linda Evans . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #2233 on: November 24, 2019, 05:42:33 pm »
@Free Vulcan
@sneakypete

I already saw Mars that is on Netflix.  Just be warned the 2nd season is nothing more than Green Propganda bulls**t.

@kevindavis
@sneakypete

Yeah I swerved into that last night, not long after I posted. Sad. First season was great. Now I just want to choke out the Marta character. What a haughty, pompous asshat.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:44:06 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2234 on: November 24, 2019, 07:01:13 pm »
@sneakypete
You mean Lynda Carter, no?  wink777

@EasyAce

Yes,I still get a little dizzy when I hear her name,or think about her getting out of that swimming pool during the first tv "battle of the somebodies or something". In fact,I watched it several times before someone told me who it was. For some reason I was having trouble seeing her face.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2235 on: November 24, 2019, 07:06:55 pm »
@kevindavis
@sneakypete

Yeah I swerved into that last night, not long after I posted. Sad. First season was great. Now I just want to choke out the Marta character. What a haughty, pompous asshat.

@Free Vulcan   @kevindavis

That does seem to be the way this evil old world is turning,doesn't it?

Noticed how there are a lot of commercials now with black male and white female couples? I saw one a couple of days ago that had 3 different "happy couples and their kids" coming out of a store after shopping,and in every case the father was black,the mother was white,and they were all mixed race kids.

Then I started to notice how common that scenario was in other commercials,too. NEVER a white husband and black wife,and it now seems to be getting rare to see a black husband and black wife,or a white husband and white wife.

To ME,this seems to go beyond marketing a product,and into the "marketing an image and lifestyle" territory.

BTW,if some of you want to call me a racist because I see what is happening and comment on it,go ahead. I flat don't care what you think.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2236 on: November 24, 2019, 07:18:24 pm »
@EasyAce

Yes,I still get a little dizzy when I hear her name,or think about her getting out of that swimming pool during the first tv "battle of the somebodies or something". In fact,I watched it several times before someone told me who it was. For some reason I was having trouble seeing her face.
@sneakypete
Like you said, the costume made you a little dizzy.  wink777

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #2237 on: November 24, 2019, 07:23:48 pm »
All that twirling would make anyone dizzy...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2238 on: November 24, 2019, 08:29:36 pm »
Dr. Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff, in their book "The Coddling of the Americann Mind," state their belief that current 18-19 year old colllege freshman, are only as mature as 13-15 yr. old just a short time ago.

I will posit that interest in cartoons, and fantasy make believe inform me that many never grow the Ef up.

And that lack of growing up is at the root of drug/alcohol addiction,, school shooting violence, online hostile and profanity laced  misbehavior, etc.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2239 on: November 24, 2019, 08:33:07 pm »
Dr. Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff, in their book "The Coddling of the Americann Mind," state their belief that current 18-19 year old colllege freshman, are only as mature as 13-15 yr. old just a short time ago.

I will posit that interest in cartoons, and fantasy make believe inform me that many never grow the Ef up.

And that lack of growing up is at the root of drug/alcohol addiction,, school shooting violence, online hostile and profanity laced  misbehavior, etc.

@truth_seeker

It is my OPINION the core cause of that is both parents working,and nobody bothering to take the time to teach the children right from wrong,or to monitor what they are doing and correct them.

What can you really expect from children that raise themselves other than anarchy and rebellion?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2240 on: November 24, 2019, 09:13:19 pm »
@truth_seeker

It is my OPINION the core cause of that is both parents working,and nobody bothering to take the time to teach the children right from wrong,or to monitor what they are doing and correct them.

What can you really expect from children that raise themselves other than anarchy and rebellion?

Don't forget, the parents teachers and school admin, can't strike the child.

And another factor is that a juvenile parent will want to be friends, not an authority figure.  IOW parent wants to be liked, instead of respected.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2241 on: November 24, 2019, 11:11:04 pm »

IOW parent wants to be liked, instead of respected.

@truth_seeker

You are much more optimistic than I am. From what I have seen,most parents want to be left alone to live their lives without being bothered by the rug rats.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #2242 on: November 24, 2019, 11:38:31 pm »

Noticed how there are a lot of commercials now with black male and white female couples? I saw one a couple of days ago that had 3 different "happy couples and their kids" coming out of a store after shopping,and in every case the father was black,the mother was white,and they were all mixed race kids.

Then I started to notice how common that scenario was in other commercials,too. NEVER a white husband and black wife,and it now seems to be getting rare to see a black husband and black wife,or a white husband and white wife.

To ME,this seems to go beyond marketing a product,and into the "marketing an image and lifestyle" territory.

BTW,if some of you want to call me a racist because I see what is happening and comment on it,go ahead. I flat don't care what you think.
I'm not gonna call you a racist. I noticed the same thing a couple years ago, and it has only become more common.
The other thing I see missing, and they've been AWOL for a long time, are intelligent straight white male characters who aren't patently evil.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #2243 on: November 24, 2019, 11:42:18 pm »
@truth_seeker

That's part of the picture. Let them get a job at an earlier age, working alongside people who are supporting their families and dealing with adult life, and they just might mature some and develop a little common sense.
But instead, they aren't even allowed to run the french fry machine until they are old enough to think they know everything, and that everything is the mush they had stuffed in their heads in school by SJWs and assorted nitwit liberals, more often than not.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2244 on: November 24, 2019, 11:49:15 pm »
I'm not gonna call you a racist. I noticed the same thing a couple years ago, and it has only become more common.
The other thing I see missing, and they've been AWOL for a long time, are intelligent straight white male characters who aren't patently evil.

@Smokin Joe

Seems like all the "loveable sidekicks" or years past are all homosexuals now,too.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #2245 on: November 24, 2019, 11:53:14 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Seems like all the "loveable sidekicks" or years past are all homosexuals now,too.
Yeah, and suddenly, there are no 'Green Lanterns, etc. in my house.
If the producers want to market to the 1-2% alphabet people, let them have that market, they don't need mine.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2246 on: November 24, 2019, 11:56:34 pm »
Yeah, and suddenly, there are no 'Green Lanterns, etc. in my house.
If the producers want to market to the 1-2% alphabet people, let them have that market, they don't need mine.

@Smokin Joe

Well,"those people" ARE the producers and the writers.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #2247 on: November 25, 2019, 12:02:40 am »
@Smokin Joe

Well,"those people" ARE the producers and the writers.
Well, they don't need my money. They aren't marketing to me.  **nononono*

C S Lewis

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #2248 on: November 25, 2019, 01:02:21 am »

@sneakypete

It's what I call 'the breakdown'. Cloward-Piven is the more formal term. Basically keep blending and blending till society is on big indistinguishable, dysfuntional mess. Breakdown family, race, ethnicity, sex, patriotism, hetero anything, religion - anything that people ground themselves in.

Create a cultural vacuum, weaken all resistance, and send in the globalist collectivist overlords.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2249 on: November 25, 2019, 01:13:44 am »
@sneakypete

It's what I call 'the breakdown'. Cloward-Piven is the more formal term. Basically keep blending and blending till society is on big indistinguishable, dysfuntional mess. Breakdown family, race, ethnicity, sex, patriotism, hetero anything, religion - anything that people ground themselves in.

Create a cultural vacuum, weaken all resistance, and send in the globalist collectivist overlords.

@Free Vulcan   

Thank you for reminding me of Cloward-Piven. I had forgotten all about it.