Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 423158 times)

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1925 on: August 27, 2018, 10:54:41 pm »
So, better than the Simpsons but worse than Futurama.

I love Futureama

Early Simpsons were GOOD.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1926 on: September 01, 2018, 12:28:53 am »
Well September 17th Battlestar Galacatia (1978) was first shown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUxDbWcVTc

FWIW, I'm a fan of both versions..
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:31:37 am by kevindavis »
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1927 on: September 01, 2018, 01:01:38 am »
Well September 17th Battlestar Galacatia (1978) was first shown:

! No longer available

FWIW, I'm a fan of both versions..

I was a little startled to see this posted now, because I have been rewatching BG on Prime for the last few days. Currently halfway through Season 3. They just left New Caprica and are headed for Earth once again. The Cylons currently have Baltar, and away we go.

Anyway, weird timing on this post. It is like you are watching me.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #1928 on: September 01, 2018, 01:14:51 am »
I was a little startled to see this posted now, because I have been rewatching BG on Prime for the last few days. Currently halfway through Season 3. They just left New Caprica and are headed for Earth once again. The Cylons currently have Baltar, and away we go.

I literally just finished the entire series. Still my favorite show of all time.
Visit my website @ AmericanaPrime.com!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1929 on: September 01, 2018, 12:08:24 pm »

LOL.. I realized this month that this is the 40th Anniversary of the TOS.

When I was a kid, SciFi for me was Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rogers. Didn't know about Star Trek until the TMP...

Offline kevindavis007

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #1931 on: September 04, 2018, 01:30:54 pm »
Here's my review of the new Sci-Fi movie, Upgrade. Also featuring the new LBM: Liberal Bullshit Meter!

via Americanaprime.com

Upgrade Review

To be frank, I’m not sure I’ve ever been more surprised by the quality of a film than I was with Upgrade.

Looking back, I remember seeing the commercial and being thoroughly unimpressed. I remember thinking that it looked like generic revenge movie #498 where the protagonist gains superpowers and takes vengeance on those that wronged him while having a Blade Runner knockoff setting. The advertising, coupled with a paltry (by Hollywood standards) 5 million dollar budget, had me convinced this movie was just another straight to video waste of time, in the vein of the 6th movie in the Leprechaun franchise.

Oh, how wrong I was.

Upgrade falls into some odd blend of 2001, Black Mirror, and Death Wish, and even into what some would categorize as horror, and does it all remarkably effectively. The central idea of the plot is that a man becomes a quadriplegic, and is given a massive technological “Upgrade” by a corporate technology maven, and sets about finding the people that paralyzed him and killed his wife. There will be no spoilers here, but suffice it to say there is more here than meets the eye, and things get out of hand very quickly. I am surprised how much I enjoyed the plot, given that the writer, Leigh Whannell, has written two horror franchises that I’ve never been a fan of: Saw and Insidious, which also serves to explain some of the horror elements within Upgrade. One of the most impressive feats this movie manages to pull off is looking so plausibly futuristic on a budget of next to nothing. The film looks incredible and has a cast that is up to the task of delivering a riveting performance, which brings me to one of my favorite parts: The performance of Logan Marshall-Green.

Upon viewing the film, I knew I recognized him from somewhere, and a quick IMDB reference revealed he was the incredibly badass gunslinger in the TV show Damnation, and also utterly unrecognizable in 2005’s The Invitation (also worth a watch). He pulls off an incredible performance as the out of place, off the grid, gearhead who works on classic cars, but it’s his performance once he receives the upgrade that is most impressive. At specific points in the film, the Artificial Intelligence controls his body, while he controls his head and dialogue. It’s amazing watching his body engaged in these incredible fight scenes, while his head and voice are acting entirely differently. Great work from the man some refer to as “knockoff Tom Hardy,” given how similar the two men look.

I will go ahead and issue a bold statement: Upgrade is the best sci-fi movie I’ve seen since 2009’s dual masterpieces, Moon and District 9 (sorry Interstellar, Arrival, and Gravity fans). I might even go so far as to place it in the top 10 science fiction movies of the 2000’s, alongside classics like Minority Report, Wall-E, AI, and the films mentioned above. Upgrade delivers on a theme Black Mirror has been accomplishing expertly: Showing us an entirely plausible, negative vision of the near future that comes about due to technological advancement on things like self-driving cars, artificial intelligence, drones, cybernetics, and virtual reality. These things, in most cases, are right around the corner, that many of us will see in our lifetime, yet we don’t always ponder the ramifications of them being subverted or hacked, and the results can be profoundly disturbing, as evidenced by this film. Upgrade is a prime example of a great concept, executed on flawlessly, and is an exemplar of what can be done on a budget that makes a shoestring look vast. The right script, idea, writer, cast, and effects all blend into a cohesive whole that I have no doubt I will watch again and is sure to become a modern science fiction classic.

What then are the negatives? To be perfectly honest, I have to stretch into the more hypothetical territory to find any negative. Theoretically, it could have looked better and more expansive with a bigger budget, but that says nothing about telling a better story. I can’t think of one scene or actor I’d swap out, nor would I care to dilute it by adding to its razor-sharp 1-hour 40-minute runtime. There seems to quite the gulf between critics and the average viewer; critics obsess over its B-movie budget and roots, as though it isn’t sufficiently pretentious enough, while still admitting it looks tremendous and Logan Marshall delivers a wonderful acting job. They also give it no credit whatsoever for its cultural commentary on the future and our relationship with technology, which is odd given how critics salivate over every low budget indie coming-of-age story. The critical reception reminds me of how the Death Wish remake was panned before anyone saw it, and was branded an “alt-right” fantasy despite Bruce Willis saving the lives of multiple minorities. These days, if your film doesn’t feature biting social justice commentary and a hyperdiverse cast, it might as well be Nazi propaganda to the critical pool that’s infested with leftists.

In the end, if one has even the slightest preference for either horror or sci-fi, then Upgrade is required viewing.

Do yourself a favor, and “Upgrade” your science fiction.

Score: 9/10 - Classic
Liberal bullshit meter: 0/10

Steven

If you enjoyed this article on Americana Prime, please share it and follow me on social media:

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeVPGyFM27xjnbFnC0q7\_UQ?
Facebook: www.facebook.com/americanaprime1776
Twitter: https://twitter.com/StevenAMager
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/americana_prime/
Get my book, Forging the Iron Mind: [https://amzn.to/2uxRvCs]
Visit my website @ AmericanaPrime.com!

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #1932 on: September 04, 2018, 10:33:24 pm »
2018 Dragon Award Winners

From the link:

Best Science Fiction Novel
Artemis by Andy Weir

Best Fantasy Novel (Including Paranormal)
Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson

Best Young Adult / Middle Grade Novel
Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Best Military Science Fiction or Fantasy Novel
A Call to Vengeance by David M Weber, Timothy Zahn, and Thomas Pope

Best Alternate History Novel
Uncharted by Kevin J. Anderson, KJA and Sarah A. Hoyt

Best Media Tie-In Novel
Leia: Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray

Best Horror Novel
Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King

Best Comic Book
Mighty Thor by Jason Aaron and James Harren, Marvel Comics

Best Graphic Novel
Brandon Sanderson’s White Sand Volume 1 by Brandon Sanderson, Rik Hoskin, and Julius M. Gopez, Dynamite Entertainment

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy TV Series
Game of Thrones, HBO

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Movie
Black Panther directed by Ryan Coogler

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy PC / Console Game
Middle-earth: Shadow of War by Monolith Productions

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Mobile Game
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery by Jam City

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Board Game
Red Dragon Inn 6: Villains by Slugfest Games

Best Science Fiction or Fantasy Miniatures / Collectible Card / Role-Playing Game
Magic: The Gathering Unstable by Wizards of the Coast
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1933 on: September 05, 2018, 01:05:21 am »
Game of Thrones, HBO

@Ghost Bear

Huh? Who would watch a show with a lame name like that?

(ducking,and running for cover....)
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1934 on: September 05, 2018, 03:34:16 pm »
Game of Thrones, HBO

@Ghost Bear

Huh? Who would watch a show with a lame name like that?

(ducking,and running for cover....)

Heh, a lot of people apparently, since the Dragon Awards are more of a popularity contest than anything.  happy77
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1935 on: September 05, 2018, 07:44:07 pm »
Heh, a lot of people apparently, since the Dragon Awards are more of a popularity contest than anything.  happy77

@Ghost Bear

I'm one of those guys that likes Sci-Fi,but not fantasy stuff. If I had known there would be dragons on GoT,I would have never watched the first episode.

Which would have been my loss. STILL don't like dragons,but GoT may be the best thing I have ever watched.

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1936 on: September 05, 2018, 08:57:18 pm »
@Ghost Bear

I'm one of those guys that likes Sci-Fi,but not fantasy stuff. If I had known there would be dragons on GoT,I would have never watched the first episode.

Which would have been my loss. STILL don't like dragons,but GoT may be the best thing I have ever watched.

Eh, I thought the first few seasons were good, but the relentless nihilism has worn me out. At this point, I'm hoping that it ends up with the White Walkers overrunning the entire place, and Winter enveloping it all forever.
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1937 on: September 06, 2018, 01:01:56 am »
Eh, I thought the first few seasons were good, but the relentless nihilism has worn me out. At this point, I'm hoping that it ends up with the White Walkers overrunning the entire place, and Winter enveloping it all forever.

@Ghost Bear

Somebody correct me if I am wrong,but after this year it will end up starting several thousand years earlier in their history,when the families are just forming and creating kingdoms. Can you say "Prequels"?

All new cast,new story lines.

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1938 on: September 06, 2018, 01:11:30 am »
@Ghost Bear

Somebody correct me if I am wrong,but after this year it will end up starting several thousand years earlier in their history,when the families are just forming and creating kingdoms. Can you say "Prequels"?

All new cast,new story lines.

Yes, GRRM has written "prequel" stories, and I've read that a "prequel" series is being developed. I won't be watching it though, I just don't have that much interest in that world.
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1939 on: September 06, 2018, 08:06:23 am »
Yes, GRRM has written "prequel" stories, and I've read that a "prequel" series is being developed. I won't be watching it though, I just don't have that much interest in that world.

@Ghost Bear

As long as the writing and acting,as well as the casting on unknown actors,remains at the level of the first GoT series,I will be watching.

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #1940 on: September 06, 2018, 03:13:04 pm »
@Ghost Bear

As long as the writing and acting,as well as the casting on unknown actors,remains at the level of the first GoT series,I will be watching.

You and a lot of other people I'm sure!  happy77
Let it burn.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1941 on: September 08, 2018, 04:01:30 pm »

Offline kevindavis007

Offline kevindavis007

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1944 on: September 10, 2018, 02:22:50 am »
Reading some SciFi awhile back, don't remember what, but there was a comment about cramped conditions on space ships.  This seems to be a common theme.  Other than the fact that readers are used to thinking about ships being cramped, why in space?

I'm assuming that any civilization that routinely uses space travel has found a way to get around our gravity well, or mines and manufactures in space.  There's not a heck of a lot of air resistance in space.  I wouldn't think increasing the hull size would add THAT much mass to push around.  The only thing I could think of is a larger vessel presents a larger "cross section" to radiation, but if you've got space elevators you've probably figured out decent shielding (if you're not actually collecting said radiation to use as energy).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1945 on: September 10, 2018, 02:44:31 am »
A space ship is essentially a submarine in space. You still have to push that mass. A bigger ship would not be free.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1946 on: September 10, 2018, 03:02:39 am »
A space ship is essentially a submarine in space. You still have to push that mass. A bigger ship would not be free.

The problem I have with Star Trek or other shows, is they made Space Exploration too easy.

« Reply #1947 on: September 10, 2018, 03:43:14 am »

The problem I have with Star Trek or other shows, is they made Space Exploration too easy.

Enterprise was cool at first for just that reason.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #1948 on: September 10, 2018, 03:54:48 am »
Enterprise was cool at first for just that reason.

Way to cool, but that is why I like the Expanse.. Space Travel is a bitch and Space will eat you alive if you are not prepared.

« Reply #1949 on: September 10, 2018, 04:19:35 am »

Not free, but perhaps cheap in a relative sense.

Imagine a cube shaped craft (for ease of math).  The surface area of the hull (and corresponding increase in mass, for the most part) grows as the square, while the volume grows as the cube.  If you double the size of the hull in each dimension, the hull mass grows by 4x, while the volume grows by 8x.

So, smack in some bigger engines, or just go a little slower.  Space is pretty big, and stuff is spread out.  You're going to be spending a LOT of time in the ship.  Wouldn't people rather spend a little extra time in relative comfort?

On a sub, you sacrifice space because you want to be quiet and stealthy.  A bigger boat generates more noise as it needs more power to push it through the surface friction, and it's easier to find using other methods.  In space, no one can hear you scream.